Virgin Media - fast again

Old March 15th 08, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Geddes

Default Virgin Media - fast again

Suddenly this week all my speed tests are all showing 10Mbps download. I
never bothered to upgrade my modem for 20Mbps.

I have been with Blueyonder in SW London for many years, but noticed a
dramatic collapse in evening speed since they joined with NTL. Typically
always less that 500Kbps from 5pm each day. After 5pm VoIP was always
unusable.

Very pleased that they have something about their Internet bandwidth.
Many Thanks to Virgin Media.
--
Bob Geddes
Old March 15th 08, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Many Thanks to Virgin Media.
--
Bob Geddes

You'll regret saying that.. :-)

Jim.

Old March 15th 08, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:16:26 GMT, Bob Geddes
wrote:

Suddenly this week all my speed tests are all showing 10Mbps download. I
never bothered to upgrade my modem for 20Mbps.

10Mbps !!!!!!!!!!
Gawds sake...I'd be happy to get half that ...
Old March 15th 08, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Suddenly this week all my speed tests are all showing 10Mbps download. I
never bothered to upgrade my modem for 20Mbps.

Forgot to ask is that Cable or through a phoneline ?

Old March 16th 08, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

Bob Geddes wrote:
Suddenly this week all my speed tests are all showing 10Mbps
download. I never bothered to upgrade my modem for 20Mbps.

I have been with Blueyonder in SW London for many years, but noticed a
dramatic collapse in evening speed since they joined with NTL.

I always find comments like this very odd.

When NTL merged with TW, *nothing* about your connection changed in any way
whatsoever. There were no extra people on your shared UBR or anything like
that. The two ISPs systems didn't auto-magically merge together. You were
/still/ on BYs network.

So I fail to see why there was a "dramatic collapse" in your speeds from Feb
7th when you were with Telewest to Feb 8th when you were with VM.

Note: You didn't give a time-scale for this "dramatic collapse".

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:

Old March 16th 08, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Geddes

In article , Carl Waring
writes
Bob Geddes wrote:
Suddenly this week all my speed tests are all showing 10Mbps
download. I never bothered to upgrade my modem for 20Mbps.

I have been with Blueyonder in SW London for many years, but noticed a
dramatic collapse in evening speed since they joined with NTL.

I always find comments like this very odd.

When NTL merged with TW, *nothing* about your connection changed in any way
whatsoever. There were no extra people on your shared UBR or anything like
that. The two ISPs systems didn't auto-magically merge together. You were
/still/ on BYs network.

So I fail to see why there was a "dramatic collapse" in your speeds from Feb
7th when you were with Telewest to Feb 8th when you were with VM.

Note: You didn't give a time-scale for this "dramatic collapse".

I realise that I am still on Blueyonder's network and I am not sure
exactly when the collapse occurred. However opening up a pipe to allow
NTL to share Blueyonder's Internet pipes is not that complex. Neither is
cancelling a few pipes to save a few pennies - VM were being persuade by
a buyer who was not interested in Internet. Now that VM have declared
their future is in broadband I am delighted that their service has
returned to the level that Blueyonder provided.
--
Bob Geddes
Old March 16th 08, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Bob Geddes wrote:

I realise that I am still on Blueyonder's network and I am not sure
exactly when the collapse occurred. However opening up a pipe to allow
NTL to share Blueyonder's Internet pipes is not that complex.

Well, actually it probably was, since their two networks were physically
separated, and it would take considerable time and money to join them.
For one thing the lead time on cancelling contracts is measured in
months. For another, physically joining the two networks together, with
different datacentres and points of presence, would quite probably have
required laying new cable under streets etc. Sure, they could have
joined them via the internet, but, er....

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ http://c-faq.com/
CLC readme: http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt
Old March 16th 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Abo

Carl Waring wrote:
Bob Geddes wrote:
Suddenly this week all my speed tests are all showing 10Mbps
download. I never bothered to upgrade my modem for 20Mbps.

I have been with Blueyonder in SW London for many years, but noticed a
dramatic collapse in evening speed since they joined with NTL.

I always find comments like this very odd.

When NTL merged with TW, *nothing* about your connection changed in any way
whatsoever. There were no extra people on your shared UBR or anything like
that. The two ISPs systems didn't auto-magically merge together. You were
/still/ on BYs network.

So I fail to see why there was a "dramatic collapse" in your speeds from Feb
7th when you were with Telewest to Feb 8th when you were with VM.

Note: You didn't give a time-scale for this "dramatic collapse".

The 'dramatic collapse' for me was when Virgin upgraded me from 10Mb to
their 'faster' 20Mb service. I went from a stable 9.8Mb to a fairly
variable 5-6Mb. The fastest I ever saw from Virgin was 15Mb just before
9am one day but it dipped down to 5Mb later in the day.

Now on Sky's up to 16Mb product and I get 10.2Mb-10.4Mb all day, which
I'm happy with considering the price.

--
Abo