BT Automated line tests and resyncs

Old March 16th 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,bt.broadband.support
John

Default BT Automated line tests and resyncs

One for Kraftee or his colleagues I suspect - I get fairly regular
resyncs in early evening (not exactly the same time, but in the same 20
mins or so). No apparent reason - no RF interference at that time (i've
checked), and none of the usual suspects (cookers, microwave ovens etc).
I'm starting to wonder if it's the automated BT phone line test which
happens in the evening, as I remember. Therefore - if you know -

1 Do auto routine line tests still take place ?

2 Are they every day? If not, what schedule ?

3 Do they actually change the line conditions enough to cause a resync ?

4 What happens if a duff line is found ? Do Openreach wait for a
complaint first ?

John L
Old March 16th 08, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,bt.broadband.support
kráftéé

John wrote:
One for Kraftee or his colleagues I suspect - I get fairly regular
resyncs in early evening (not exactly the same time, but in the
same 20 mins or so). No apparent reason - no RF interference at
that time (i've checked), and none of the usual suspects (cookers,
microwave ovens etc). I'm starting to wonder if it's the automated
BT phone line test which happens in the evening, as I remember.
Therefore - if you know -
1 Do auto routine line tests still take place ?

Yes they do over night tests

2 Are they every day? If not, what schedule ?

Everynight

3 Do they actually change the line conditions enough to cause a
resync ?

In some circumstances they do

4 What happens if a duff line is found ? Do Openreach wait for a
complaint first ?

If a fault is located normally the Openreach engineer is on the
doorstep before the user knows they have a problem.

The early evening bit is what makes me think it's not testing, as
normally this is done in the early hours of the morning

Old March 16th 08, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,bt.broadband.support
John

kraftee wrote:
John wrote:
One for Kraftee or his colleagues I suspect - I get fairly regular
resyncs in early evening (not exactly the same time, but in the
same 20 mins or so).

SNIP

The early evening bit is what makes me think it's not testing, as
normally this is done in the early hours of the morning

The reason I wondered about the evening is that one of our phones - a
Tribune with a mechanical bell - sometimes gives off a single "Ting"
around this time - which I always assumed to be the line test doing a
reversal or something. NEVER heard this at any other time, and no line
faults evident.

John L
Old March 16th 08, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,bt.broadband.support
kráftéé

John wrote:
kraftee wrote:
John wrote:
One for Kraftee or his colleagues I suspect - I get fairly regular
resyncs in early evening (not exactly the same time, but in the
same 20 mins or so).

SNIP

The early evening bit is what makes me think it's not testing, as
normally this is done in the early hours of the morning

The reason I wondered about the evening is that one of our phones -
a Tribune with a mechanical bell - sometimes gives off a single
"Ting" around this time - which I always assumed to be the line
test doing a reversal or something. NEVER heard this at any other
time, and no line faults evident.

John L

HHmmmmm, certainly sounds like a line reversal which could be caused
by a line test, but as I said the timing seems to be wrong..

As a trial, try unplugging that tribune for a couple of days & see if
your DSL still drops.....

B-)