Goodbye Tiscali... and good riddance

Old March 16th 08, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Default Goodbye Tiscali... and good riddance

YES! They released me from the "contract".... the one that said I had to
pay them every month but they didn't have to do much back.

All it took was some shouting and screaming (to the uk head office,
forget about the offshore call centre they want you to use).

They had the last laugh though.... disconnecting me from their LLU
equipment in the exchange took down my non-tiscali telephone line for
two days. Oh, and they billed me for another £20 after I was
disconnected (they're sending a cheque...)

Anyway, I've moved to plusnet. And my first impression is they are very
good - I forgot to print off the connection settings when I was set up,
and a 3 minute phone call to their UK support sorted me right out.
Old March 17th 08, 01:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Tom wrote:

Anyway, I've moved to plusnet. And my first impression is they are very
good - I forgot to print off the connection settings when I was set up,
and a 3 minute phone call to their UK support sorted me right out.

Welcome aboard!

Rgds,

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old March 17th 08, 01:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Tom" wrote in message
YES! They released me from the "contract".... the one that said I had to
pay them every month but they didn't have to do much back.

All it took was some shouting and screaming (to the uk head office, forget
about the offshore call centre they want you to use).

They had the last laugh though.... disconnecting me from their LLU
equipment in the exchange took down my non-tiscali telephone line for two
days. Oh, and they billed me for another £20 after I was disconnected
(they're sending a cheque...)

Anyway, I've moved to plusnet. And my first impression is they are very
good - I forgot to print off the connection settings when I was set up,
and a 3 minute phone call to their UK support sorted me right out.

I'm also leaving Tiscali - they are crap. Engineers are not able to keep
everything working. We see the same problems on a repeated basis and I'm
sure a few switches are flicked to generate revenue on the phonelines. I
have joined another ISP and only have to wait another 3 days. My new ISP is
based in the UK and has English speaking people.

Leaving is the only way to make Tiscali listen. I made 8 complaints in 2
years to the ISPA. Tiscali were SO stupid they blocked port 119 at various
times in the day, so people couldn't even get the Tiscali news server.
Tiscali botched up a software update on the Network Shaping stuff, then were
too thick to understand what the settings should be. That's when the entire
network come to a halt for a weekend. Peer2peer was also blocked while
priority was given to tiscali TV data. So if lots of people watched TV,
people got reduced speeds on the Internet. They didn't want people using
BBCi and 4OD in competition as they used P2P.

There were many problems with Tiscali. I was paying £17.99/month whilst new
customers were paying £12.99/month for the same package! Tiscali is about
to be sold anyway if you read The Scream and other IT based sites. If you
complain in a Tiscali forum, you are banned.

Old March 17th 08, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:52:54 -0000, Ian wrote:

Tiscali were SO stupid they blocked port 119 at various
times in the day, so people couldn't even get the Tiscali news server.

Ah, so that might be the explanation. Although I was with Pipex at the time
(pre-takeover), Tiscali showed up as provider. Most evenings I couldn't get
news and other servers also didn't work, then OK the next morning.
Seems to be OK now.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Old March 17th 08, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

"Tom" wrote in message
YES! They released me from the "contract".... the one that said I had to
pay them every month but they didn't have to do much back.

All it took was some shouting and screaming (to the uk head office, forget
about the offshore call centre they want you to use).

They had the last laugh though.... disconnecting me from their LLU
equipment in the exchange took down my non-tiscali telephone line for two
days. Oh, and they billed me for another £20 after I was disconnected
(they're sending a cheque...)

Anyway, I've moved to plusnet. And my first impression is they are very
good - I forgot to print off the connection settings when I was set up,
and a 3 minute phone call to their UK support sorted me right out.

I hope that's not Pan to fire.

But I guess anyone could be better that Tiscali.

Old March 18th 08, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

It's Me wrote:

I hope that's not Pan to fire.

I'd be interested to know if it is, but I'm confident it wont be!

Rgds,

Old March 18th 08, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

PlusNet Support Team wrote:
Tom wrote:

Anyway, I've moved to plusnet. And my first impression is they are
very good - I forgot to print off the connection settings when I was
set up, and a 3 minute phone call to their UK support sorted me right
out.

Welcome aboard!

Rgds,

Cheers, it's nice to go online every day and it "just works" :-)