Sky BB today - impressed!

Old March 17th 08, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

Default Sky BB today - impressed!

Well, following a grim month with Poopex, I got Sky bb today and it went
exactly to plan ... plugged in the kit, ran the CD, and it worked! Easy
enough to set up mail client etc., if you just follow the instructions
exactly - pretty idiot-proof really. I even got my Palm wi-fi and internet
radio working again!

The speed is 3156 down and 378 up, which may not be phenomenal, but soooooo
much better than I've been getting for the last few months, and perfectly
adequate for my purposes.

And less than half the price!

So - so far - I'm very impressed!

Barb :-)

Old March 17th 08, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
naza

Just hope you never have to call customer service
Old March 18th 08, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Barb" wrote in message
Well, following a grim month with Poopex, I got Sky bb today and it went
exactly to plan ... plugged in the kit, ran the CD, and it worked! Easy
enough to set up mail client etc., if you just follow the instructions
exactly - pretty idiot-proof really. I even got my Palm wi-fi and
internet radio working again!

The speed is 3156 down and 378 up, which may not be phenomenal,
but soooooo much better than I've been getting for the last few months,
and perfectly adequate for my purposes.

I hope those are only ADSLMax speeds, and not LLU ADSL2

Steve Terry

Old March 18th 08, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Well, following a grim month with Poopex, I got Sky bb today and it went
exactly to plan ... plugged in the kit, ran the CD, and it worked!

You shouldn't really ever need to use an installer CD with a router -
they should just pick up as a LAN :-}

The speed is 3156 down and 378 up, which may not be phenomenal, but soooooo
much better than I've been getting for the last few months, and perfectly
adequate for my purposes.

Depending on how keen you are, you could try removing the BT faceplate
and plugging the router direct into the test socket (if you have one
of those newer types of sockets) to see if the speed improves - if it
does, you may have a problem on your internal wiring.

I found I had two masters hooked up in my wiring for some reason, and
by removing the guts of the second unused master, my speed doubled.

And less than half the price!

Yay :-)

So - so far - I'm very impressed!

Hope it stays that way for you - i'm still happy after almost 12
months with them :-)
Old March 19th 08, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Steve Terry wrote:
"Barb" wrote in message
Well, following a grim month with Poopex, I got Sky bb today and
it went exactly to plan ... plugged in the kit, ran the CD, and it
worked! Easy enough to set up mail client etc., if you just
follow the instructions exactly - pretty idiot-proof really. I
even got my Palm wi-fi and internet radio working again!

The speed is 3156 down and 378 up, which may not be phenomenal,
but soooooo much better than I've been getting for the last few
months, and perfectly adequate for my purposes.

I hope those are only ADSLMax speeds, and not LLU ADSL2

Steve Terry

If the line is only fit for slow speeds then ADSL2 will not make much,
if any, difference. I was on ADSL2 & received around the 5.5Mbps mark
(when it worked), I'm now on Max DSL & am getting a Max Stable Speed
of 5.1Mbps. Yes if I wanted to play, like some do, I could even get
over 6Mbps during the daylight hours & then have to restart to get the
5.1Mbps for the evening, but seeing as that is not how Max is supposed
to work, why the bother for the extra 1Mbps for less than 12 hours a
day.

Old March 20th 08, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

I hope those are only ADSLMax speeds, and not LLU ADSL2

Steve Terry

If the line is only fit for slow speeds then ADSL2 will not make much, if
any, difference. I was on ADSL2 & received around the 5.5Mbps mark (when
it worked), I'm now on Max DSL & am getting a Max Stable Speed of 5.1Mbps.
Yes if I wanted to play, like some do, I could even get over 6Mbps during
the daylight hours & then have to restart to get the 5.1Mbps for the
evening, but seeing as that is not how Max is supposed to work, why the
bother for the extra 1Mbps for less than 12 hours a day.

The max on my line is apparently about 5, and I have been getting speeds
very close to that since Monday, so I'm satisfied. The only reason I had
the Max package was the unlimited downloads, cos I am a heavy user and a
complete net-nerd!

Five days on, and still going well. Fingers xxxx'd

Barb