Something nasty in the net shed part II.

Old March 18th 08, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default Something nasty in the net shed part II.

You may remember I had problems with an attack wreckingmy download
stats..well since then tow things have happened

I put up MRTG, and decided that my average usage was enough to need
upgrading to a 10GB service, and Clara gave me a refund on bandwidth as
well..since they couldn't or wouldn't firewall pings out..

More disturbingly, on two occasions I have since seen traffic on an all
night basis to unattended machines.

In the first case it was in fact me leaving a web page open to the
traffic stats - a page that reloads every 5 minutes. Internal to my LAN,
though the router is poor enough not to distinguish that.

Last night though, it seems to have been some browser window left open
to a site with some sort of rolling advert on it.

The moral being, if you are on a capped service, always shut the browser
down. Just not being at the keyboard is no guarantee of inactivity. Many
pages will auto refresh..and chew up your bandwidth.