ADSL Line Statistics and Connection Speed question

Old March 19th 08, 01:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dmitri

Default ADSL Line Statistics and Connection Speed question

I've got the following stats of ADSL connection (Eclipse)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4096 kbps 256 kbps
Line Attenuation 30 db 7.5 db
Noise Margin 14 db 21 db

Broadband checker, www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php, shows that my line "is
capable of 6.5 Mbps or above".

I heard that noise margins can be as low as 6 db for satisfactory stable
connection. Do you think I can insist on higher sync speed with Eclipse?
They told me that the sync speed I have got now is the maximum possible
and I doubt it's true.
Old March 19th 08, 07:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spud

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:43:46 -0500, dmitri wrote:

I've got the following stats of ADSL connection (Eclipse)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4096 kbps 256 kbps
Line Attenuation 30 db 7.5 db
Noise Margin 14 db 21 db

Broadband checker, www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php, shows that my line "is
capable of 6.5 Mbps or above".

I heard that noise margins can be as low as 6 db for satisfactory stable
connection. Do you think I can insist on higher sync speed with Eclipse?
They told me that the sync speed I have got now is the maximum possible
and I doubt it's true.

SNR varies with time of day (electrical equipment, street lights, etc)
and weather conditions.

It's possible you drop to 6db in the evenings and that is when you
last synched. Try resynching ealy in the morning (6 - 7 am ish) and
see if that makes a difference.
Old March 19th 08, 07:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

dmitri wrote on Tue, 18 Mar 2008 at 20:43:46:
I've got the following stats of ADSL connection (Eclipse)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4096 kbps 256 kbps
Line Attenuation 30 db 7.5 db
Noise Margin 14 db 21 db

Broadband checker, www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php, shows that my line "is
capable of 6.5 Mbps or above".

I heard that noise margins can be as low as 6 db for satisfactory stable
connection. Do you think I can insist on higher sync speed with Eclipse?
They told me that the sync speed I have got now is the maximum possible
and I doubt it's true.

Could you be on a static 4Mbit/s service? Those stats don't look like an
ADSLMax rate-adaptive service. If it's stable and error-free at 4Mbit/s,
you might request a service change to ADSLMax, and the modem will then
negotiate the highest possible speed for your line, which may well be
around 6.5 Mbit/s with a 6dB noise margin.
--
Tony
Old March 19th 08, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

dmitri wrote:

I've got the following stats of ADSL connection (Eclipse)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4096 kbps 256 kbps
Line Attenuation 30 db 7.5 db
Noise Margin 14 db 21 db

Broadband checker, www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php, shows that my line "is
capable of 6.5 Mbps or above".

Yes, from thost statistics I'd say most certainly so.

I heard that noise margins can be as low as 6 db for satisfactory stable
connection. Do you think I can insist on higher sync speed with Eclipse?
They told me that the sync speed I have got now is the maximum possible
and I doubt it's true.

They're ****ing you about. Find a decent ISP that doesn't LIE to you.

Graham

Old March 19th 08, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"Gizmo." wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
dmitri wrote:

I've got the following stats of ADSL connection (Eclipse)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4096 kbps 256 kbps
Line Attenuation 30 db 7.5 db
Noise Margin 14 db 21 db

Broadband checker, www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php, shows that my line "is
capable of 6.5 Mbps or above".

Yes, from thost statistics I'd say most certainly so.

I heard that noise margins can be as low as 6 db for satisfactory stable
connection. Do you think I can insist on higher sync speed with Eclipse?
They told me that the sync speed I have got now is the maximum possible
and I doubt it's true.

They're ****ing you about. Find a decent ISP that doesn't LIE to you.

Graham

Lol !!!
Oh deary me

The 4096 kbps suggests he's on a fixed 4Mbps connection. Maybe he ought to find
out first if they're claiming he's on a MAX connection.

Graham