What SNR fluctuation is normal?

Old March 19th 08, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Vivian

Default What SNR fluctuation is normal?

I have a recently-enabled ADSL max. line which the BT number checker
originally told me might support up to 2.5mb.

At first, it did run at up to about 1.6mb but now after a few weeks it
has settled at a constant 0.7mb. The Line Attenuation according to my
Draytek router is 58.5db.

I have been monitoring the SNR over the past 48 hours and am seeing wild
fluctuations, despite the fact that the speed and attenuation figures
have not changed in that time. For about half the time the SNR reads an
average 14.5db, +/-1db, in blocks of several hours. For the other half
of the time the SNR fluctuates wildly, almost by the minute, within the
range 5-13db. The good periods have occurred at different times on each
of the two days monitored and I can rule out any electrical interference
from my property.

Is this behaviour normal? Assuming it isn't and the fault is not with
my own internal wiring, is this a fault which my ISP/BT will do anything
about?

Thanks
--
Kevin
Old March 19th 08, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Kevin Vivian wrote:
[...]

There is normally a fluctation between day & night time (possibly made
worse by extension wiring), but during the day it's not normal at
all...

As for Openreach doing something about it, it all depends on what is
causing, a line fault yes, possible external interferrence yes but
other than that I very much doubt it...

Old March 19th 08, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

Before you waste to much time go to

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

And click on "improve your speed"

Removing the unwanted wires removed my interference and gave me a stable
connection.

Alec

Old March 20th 08, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Vivian

In article , Alec [email protected]
hopley.fsnet.co.uk writes
Before you waste to much time go to

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

And click on "improve your speed"

Removing the unwanted wires removed my interference and gave me a stable
connection.

Alec

Thanks, Alec.

Following the advice on the dslzoneuk site, I will plug in to the test
socket and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers
--
Kevin