call on mute get disconnected after 2 min (a voipfone feature)

Old March 20th 08, 08:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr JM

Default call on mute get disconnected after 2 min (a voipfone feature)

Gurus,

When I put my phone on mute, I get disconnected aftrer 2 min.... Here is the
answer I got from voipfone support:

"I'm a fraid a call left on mute will eventually disconnect as our system
detects no use and drops the line - after 2 minutes I believe. This is a
safety feature to prevent dead calls being charged for indefinately"

I still believe this behaviour is wrong: If someone is talking on the line
and my phone is on mute: The line is not dead and I should not be
disconnected.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Old March 20th 08, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Stottle

"Mr JM" wrote in message
news
Gurus,

When I put my phone on mute, I get disconnected aftrer 2 min.... Here
is the answer I got from voipfone support:

"I'm a fraid a call left on mute will eventually disconnect as our
system detects no use and drops the line - after 2 minutes I believe.
This is a safety feature to prevent dead calls being charged for
indefinately"

I still believe this behaviour is wrong: If someone is talking on the
line and my phone is on mute: The line is not dead and I should not be
disconnected.

Any thoughts on that?

How is someone talking on the line if the phone is on mute, who are they
talking to?
I would sooner have the automatic cut off than risk being charged for
calls that are sometimes not terminated properly, perhaps you should
consider 'music on hold' to keep the line open when on 'mute'.

Old March 20th 08, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr JM

Use case:

Imagine for a second you are listening on a conference call... the speaker
is talking... your baby is crying/mum's moaning in the bedroom next door...
Sounds familiar to anyone?

Putting your own phone line on mute mean you can follow what is being said,
without enoying the other 72 other participants with your kitchen background
noise. Does not this make sense?

Thanks
JM

Old March 20th 08, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Lewis

Mr JM wrote:
When I put my phone on mute, I get disconnected aftrer 2 min.... [...]

Does your SIP UA give you the option of disabling silence suppression?

The symptom you describe suggests that your phone is 'pausing' the RTP
media stream when you put it on mute; it's quite likely that if you can
persuade your phone to continue the media stream when it's muted,
Voipfone won't kill the call.

Stephen
Old March 20th 08, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

"Mr JM" wrote in message
[...]

Imagine you make a short call and absent-mindedly hit mute instead of
clearing the call. You then go away for a long easter break and on your
return find a huge bill for the call.

If it's an important call, I'd make sure that I couldn't be disturbed. I
would consider it rude if we were having a telephone conference and some
of the attendees were distracted and doing other tasks whilst I was
talking. How can you possibly deal with a crying child and continue to
participate in any conversation?????

A. Because it breaks the natural reading order.
Q. Why is top posting bad?
Old March 20th 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr JM

Thanks for the idea. I just checked:

The phone is a SNOM 300, and silence suppression is set to off.

JM

Old March 20th 08, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mattpark mattpark is offline
Junior Member

Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Having you call cut off at exactly 2mins after going on hold is almost
certainly an end point configuration issue.

What SIP device are you using?

As Stephen Lewis mentioned, its probably connected to silence
suppression. In xlite, you can set SIP keep alives to be sent in the
advances settings area.

Matt

--
mattpark
mattpark's Profile: http://www.ukvoiptalk.com/member.php?userid=3

External post from http://www.ukvoiptalk.com

Old March 20th 08, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr JM

- Okay, so you get a huge phone bill and this is your mistake: Fine! You
f****'d up: you pay for it. Just be responsible of your own act.You leave
the house and leave all your electrical appliance switched-on, boiler full
blast: you pay for the bills no?
- People can multitask (although this is not usually recognised as a male
capability).

But the point is still; The call is not dead... You are not alone on the
line: There are people talking !!!! Once everyone is disconnected: Ok: you
can kill the call.... But not before for god sake...!!!!

Old March 20th 08, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr JM

Yes, but which end?

My end is a SNOM 300, with suppress_silent: off

Voipfone's end is????

and voipfone support wrote back: "I'm a fraid a call left on mute will
eventually disconnect as our system detects no use and drops the line -
after 2 minutes I believe. This is a safety feature to prevent dead calls
being charged for indefinately"

Surely this cannot be the right behaviour....

More thoughts? Any one else got the same issue?

JM

Old March 20th 08, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mattpark mattpark is offline
Junior Member

Location: Durham, United Kingdom

Hmmm....

Well, i can't remember if the Snom 300 has an RTP keep alive option
(may depend on the firmware version you are running)...

I would suggest:

1. Upgrade to latest firmware
2. Look for an RTP keep alive option and enable.
3. Failing that, enable "Silence Suppression" (the phones sends
background noise to the other end when no audio is being sent).

Matt