Peculiar name resolution problem on VirginMedia cable connection

Old March 20th 08, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Default Peculiar name resolution problem on VirginMedia cable connection

For many months I've had http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en as
one of my browser home pages. Suddenly it no longer works. I cannot ping
or traceroute www.google.co.uk because that address no longer resolves.
But, www.google.com does work.

I've rebooted my laptop serveral times and had both the router & cable-modem
powered off and back on several times. I'm using a Virgin Media connection
and am assuming that there's a problem in their name servers.

My router says it is using 194.168.4.100 as the primary DNS
and 194.168.8.100 as the secondary;

- I presume it gets those addresses assigned by DHCP by VM when my cable
modem connects to them, since I certainly don't manually define what DNS
servers to use.

Can anyone else with a VM connection see a problem?

Does anyone else think I should hard-code DNS server addresses in the
router?

Old March 20th 08, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
For many months I've had http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en as
one of my browser home pages. Suddenly it no longer works. I cannot ping
or traceroute www.google.co.uk because that address no longer resolves.
But, www.google.com does work.

I've rebooted my laptop serveral times and had both the router & cable-modem
powered off and back on several times. I'm using a Virgin Media connection
and am assuming that there's a problem in their name servers.

My router says it is using 194.168.4.100 as the primary DNS
and 194.168.8.100 as the secondary;

Same sort of symptom I saw a year or so back. I've a call open about
problems with ...8.100; opened in Sept, and closed (unfixed &
unannounced) and reopened a few weeks ago.

Progress? Nil. I think only the tea lady can be left in tech support.

(The problem seems to be duff dns data from that machine; correct udp
checksums, so it has to be a faulty dns server or transparent dns proxy.
Paranoia makes me wonder about a phorm link - iirc someone said BT
meddled with dns while trialling phorm. Originally I got duff packets
with correct checksums from various unrelated non-vm dns servers - hence
my transparent proxy suspicions.)

- I presume it gets those addresses assigned by DHCP by VM when my cable
modem connects to them, since I certainly don't manually define what DNS
servers to use.

Yes.

Can anyone else with a VM connection see a problem?

Yes, but I run my own lan dns server and can work round it. VM won't
take the blinkers off afaict.

Does anyone else think I should hard-code DNS server addresses in the
router?

Try losing the '8' machine and see if that improves things. Otherwise
OpenDNS maybe?

--
Mike Scott (unet at scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
Old March 20th 08, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:26:40, Jeremy Nicoll -
news posts wrote:

Does anyone else think I should hard-code DNS server addresses in the
router?

You could put 4.2.2.1 in your local config. Assuming VM don't hijack
port 53...

Your headers suggest Windows XP, but aren't you using Linux? If
Windows, install Treewalk http://treewalkdns.com.

--
Jim Crowther
Old March 21st 08, 01:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

news posts wrote:

Does anyone else think I should hard-code DNS server addresses in the
router?

You could put 4.2.2.1 in your local config. Assuming VM don't hijack
port 53...

Your headers suggest Windows XP, but aren't you using Linux? If
Windows, install Treewalk http://treewalkdns.com.

Linux? Me? What gave you that idea? (Until a year or two ago I used RISC
OS; I have a feeling there used to be a Unix variant with a similar name,
but now I use XP and sometimes a RO emulation under XP - these problems are
all innative XP.)

Old March 22nd 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

For many months I've had http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en as
one of my browser home pages. Suddenly it no longer works. I cannot ping
or traceroute www.google.co.uk because that address no longer resolves.
But, www.google.com does work.

I've rebooted my laptop serveral times and had both the router &
cable-modem powered off and back on several times. I'm using a Virgin
Media connection and am assuming that there's a problem in their name
servers.

My router says it is using 194.168.4.100 as the primary DNS
and 194.168.8.100 as the secondary;

- I presume it gets those addresses assigned by DHCP by VM when my cable
modem connects to them, since I certainly don't manually define what DNS
servers to use.

I've since turned on a lot more logging in ZoneAlarm and seen that incoming
info from those DNS servers were being blocked (though I dunno how /any/ DNS
was working, that being so).

I looked at the DNS servers I'd previously told ZA were to be 'trusted' and
found I'd two other addresses defined: 62.31.64.39 and 62.31.112.39 - which
were BlueYonder servers. I added the new pair and it's all working again.

I can't help feeling that VM shouldn't have changed their server addresses
without some publicity.

Old March 22nd 08, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Jeremy Nicoll - news posts"
wrote in message
.invalid...
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
wrote:

[...]

They haven't. 194.168.4.100 and .....8.100 have been the DNS servers
since I've been on broadband - at least six years.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 22nd 08, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Sat, 22 Mar 2008 20:16:50, Woody wrote:

"Jeremy Nicoll - news posts"
wrote in message

[]
I've since turned on a lot more logging in ZoneAlarm and seen that
incoming
info from those DNS servers were being blocked (though I dunno how
/any/ DNS
was working, that being so).

I looked at the DNS servers I'd previously told ZA were to be
'trusted' and
found I'd two other addresses defined: 62.31.64.39 and 62.31.112.39 -
which
were BlueYonder servers. I added the new pair and it's all working
again.

I can't help feeling that VM shouldn't have changed their server
addresses
without some publicity.

They haven't. 194.168.4.100 and .....8.100 have been the DNS servers
since I've been on broadband - at least six years.

194.168.4.100 looks like a cache, while the others are actual
nameservers.

If an ISP has DNS issues, it's time to install Treewalk.

--
Jim Crowther
Old March 22nd 08, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

"Woody" wrote:

I looked at the DNS servers I'd previously told ZA were to be 'trusted'
and found I'd two other addresses defined: 62.31.64.39 and 62.31.112.39
- which were BlueYonder servers. I added the new pair and it's all
working again.

They haven't. 194.168.4.100 and .....8.100 have been the DNS servers
since I've been on broadband - at least six years.

Well, your sig mentions harrogate. If that's anywhere near where you live
then perhaps you were part of the ntl network rather than telewest/
blueyonder? Or maybe they are the default DNS servers for people not in
Edinburgh?

The 62.31.64.39 and 62.31.112.39 addresses were those I used to get set in
my router when I connected to TW/BY/VM, and the 194.168 ones are what I get
now. I didn't change this myself; it was forced on me externally.

Googling this morning on the old and new address values is what made me
think this might be a TW/BY - VM change. Consider this traceroute which I
just did a minute or two ago:

tracert ns1-edi.blueyonder.net

Tracing route to ns1-edi.blueyonder.net [62.31.64.39]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms router [192.168.1.1]
2 10 ms 7 ms 8 ms 10.123.184.1
3 7 ms 18 ms 9 ms 77-96-1-1.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
[77.96.1.34]
4 8 ms 7 ms 9 ms 77-96-1-1.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
[62.31.64.39]

Trace complete.

which tends to bear that out. Also:

nslookup 62.31.64.39
Server: my.router
Address: 192.168.1.1
Name: 77-96-1-1.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
Address: 62.31.64.39

nslookup 62.31.112.39
Server: my.router
Address: 192.168.1.1
Name: 77-96-1-1.cable.ubr01.azte.blueyonder.co.uk
Address: 62.31.112.39

-- interesting that those two machines have the same name - so are
they in fact just one machine?

nslookup 194.168.4.100
Server: my.router
Address: 192.168.1.1
Name: cache1.ntli.net
Address: 194.168.4.100

nslookup 194.168.8.100
Server: my.router
Address: 192.168.1.1
Name: cache2.ntli.net
Address: 194.168.8.100

-- whereas these seem to be NTL rather than BY...

Old March 23rd 08, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Jeremy Nicoll - news posts"
wrote in message
.invalid...
"Woody" wrote:

[...]

Agreed, I was NTL - which in Hgte was Bell Cablemedia (I think) - so
I've never known anything different.

I know it costs 50p a minute but the NTL tech support people are usually
very good, UK, and don't answer until they can talk to you.