Removing Redundant Wires In BT Socket

Old March 20th 08, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Removing Redundant Wires In BT Socket

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

This site advises removing the wires other than 2 and 5 starting with
the master socket then moving on to each socket in turn .

What I am curious about is why,having removed the wires from the
master socket,you need to do the same at all other sockets ?

I'd have though that if you do the master socket then there would be
no need to do the rest unless I am missing something .
Old March 20th 08, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

What I am curious about is why,having removed the wires from the
master socket,you need to do the same at all other sockets ?

I'd have though that if you do the master socket then there would be
no need to do the rest unless I am missing something .

If you have a single ADSL filter at the master socket, the ADSL
goes straight through, it's the phones leg that is filtered, so it
matters little what's on the phones leg PROVIDED it is
within the REN limit of REN3, and is not a very low impedance
or significantly reactive. Try shorting the phone side and your
ADSL connection won't like it.
In passing you can plug another filter in series with the phones
leg of the first single ADSL filter, you must leave the ADSL
connection on the first filter, in my experience this extra
filtering on the phones side has no effect on the voice quality
but seems to improve ADSL stability, often at the next higher
speed than without it, comparable with the tenner a time
so called higher quality filters.
Old March 20th 08, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 19:36:57 GMT, wrote:

[...]

That seems an awfully complicated answer to my simple question
....and,with respect,doesn't seem to answer my point .
In any event I have ordered an
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
so looks like I will need to reinstate the two wires I snipped in the
master socket but that's no problem

Stuart
Old March 20th 08, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:17:35 +0000, Alan
wrote:

In message ,
wrote

That seems an awfully complicated answer to my simple question
...and,with respect,doesn't seem to answer my point .

Modern phones only need two wires.

The bell/ring wire acts as an aerial picking up signal/noise in the
same band as ADSL. Disconnecting the aerial can make your ADSL more
reliable.

http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005_08_...l_archive.html

Thx for the link .Interesting articles

Old March 21st 08, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

wrote:
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

This site advises removing the wires other than 2 and 5 starting
with the master socket then moving on to each socket in turn .

What I am curious about is why,having removed the wires from the
master socket,you need to do the same at all other sockets ?

I'd have though that if you do the master socket then there would be
no need to do the rest unless I am missing something .

You're not, but with some of the rogue electricians (& indeed some
Openreach Engineers as well) it pays to be absolutely certain as there
are many times when system/master LJUs are used, so they've all got
capacitors in them. Whilst you're checking it'll be the perfect time
to make sure that you've got proper telephone cables & no the cheaper
burglar alarm cable as well.

Old March 21st 08, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:05:02 -0000, "kraftee"

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

This site advises removing the wires other than 2 and 5 starting
with the master socket then moving on to each socket in turn .

What I am curious about is why,having removed the wires from the
master socket,you need to do the same at all other sockets ?

I'd have though that if you do the master socket then there would be
no need to do the rest unless I am missing something .

You're not, but with some of the rogue electricians (& indeed some
Openreach Engineers as well) it pays to be absolutely certain as there
are many times when system/master LJUs are used, so they've all got
capacitors in them. Whilst you're checking it'll be the perfect time
to make sure that you've got proper telephone cables & no the cheaper
burglar alarm cable as well.

Thanks for that reply .I did all the wiring and socketing myself so
used proper telephone cable and the proper sockets myself .
It was the white cable with the 4 wires ...white/orange..orange/white
and blue/white..white/blue but what I am curious about is I keep
seeing references to cable having "twisted pairs " . As I said
elsewhere I saw cable at adslnation like this
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/ca...ufgpar6f0gcru1
but at 79 a metre thought it a bit pricey and it says it has "twisted
pairs"

The cable I used has the wires like in the image in the link below(
don't seem twisted to me but adslnation say it is) .I see from the
adslnation site that it's better to use cable with twisted pairs to
avoid interference .
http://www.adslnation.com/support/extensions.php
Old March 21st 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"kraftee" wrote in message
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

This site advises removing the wires other than 2 and 5 starting
with the master socket then moving on to each socket in turn .

What I am curious about is why,having removed the wires from the
master socket,you need to do the same at all other sockets ?

I'd have though that if you do the master socket then there would be
no need to do the rest unless I am missing something .

You're not, but with some of the rogue electricians (& indeed some
Openreach Engineers as well) it pays to be absolutely certain as there are
many times when system/master LJUs are used, so they've all got capacitors
in them. Whilst you're checking it'll be the perfect time to make sure
that you've got proper telephone cables & no the cheaper burglar alarm
cable as well.

I wasn't impressed with that http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php
site, although modifying for 2 wire working can make a significant
improvement it fails to make it clear that the most important thing
you can do to optimise your connection is to filter all your PSTN
sockets at a single point where the line enters.
Oh, and pin 4 is a bell wire apparently, I always thought it was
ELR, come to think of it, that really would screw your ADSL.
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old March 21st 08, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message ,
wrote

The cable I used has the wires like in the image in the link below(
don't seem twisted to me but adslnation say it is)

It will have to strip back 12 inches of the outer insulation to see the
twist.

Cat5 cable is more tightly twisted
www.amac.f2s.com/cat5/

--
Alan

news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old March 21st 08, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

In principal you are correct, with modern equipment removing the surplus
wires at the master will be enough.

But if you have some older equipment ( phones bells etc) which still connect
to the ringer wire etc then that can still have a detrimental effect.

I found removing the wires at the master was enough.

Alec