Fritz Box on O2/Be

Old March 21st 08, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RJ

Default Fritz Box on O2/Be

I am waiting for my MAC from Pipex with the intention of transferring to O2
which has just become available on my exchange.

I currently use VOIP via a Fritz Box 7140, which works very well and prefer
not to use the O2 router provided (speedtouch 780wl with propriety O2
software) which I understand would not be suitable for us as we use more
than one VOIP provider.

I have the settings for the box from the O2 website, but they do not provide
any support for otehr routers. From a post in an O2/Be forum, it appears
that Fritz Box Fon may not connect at as fast a speed as the proprietary O2
router. I know that I could connect the Fritz Box to the O2 box, but I would
then lose some of the advantages of the Fritz Box VOIP handling.

Does anyone have a Fritz Box working well on O2/Be or should I not choose O2
as my new ISP?

Thanks,

Roger

Old March 21st 08, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:52:32 +0000, RJ wrote:

I currently use VOIP via a Fritz Box 7140, which works very well and
prefer not to use the O2 router provided (speedtouch 780wl with
propriety O2 software) which I understand would not be suitable for us
as we use more than one VOIP provider.

I've got this on Be and the VoIP bit sucks.

I know that I could connect the Fritz Box to the O2 box, but I would
then lose some of the advantages of the Fritz Box VOIP handling.

What are they?

I know some Fritz models have an ethernet WAN as well as ADSL. If yours
does, you could put the BeBox in bridge mode and give the public IP to
the Fritzbox. This will eliminate any NAT problems for the Fritzbox.

Does anyone have a Fritz Box working well on O2/Be or should I not
choose O2 as my new ISP?

It's hardly likely to be slower than Pipex, is it?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:08:41 up 25 days, 22:01, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.08, 0.09
Old March 21st 08, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RJ

"alexd" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:52:32 +0000, RJ wrote:

What are advantages of the Fritz Box VOIP handling?

I was referring to the bandwidth management which I understand prioritises
VOIP. I believe that if the box is connected via a LAN rather than directly
to the phone line, this won't apply.

I know some Fritz models have an ethernet WAN as well as ADSL. If yours
does, you could put the BeBox in bridge mode and give the public IP to
the Fritzbox. This will eliminate any NAT problems for the Fritzbox.

I am able to select in my software Internet connection via LAN 1 (Select
this kind of connection if FRITZ!Box is to be connected to an already
existing DSL router.) Apart from the lack of bandwidth management, I would
prefer not to have to use two boxes.

It's hardly likely to be slower than Pipex, is it?

I am sure that you are correct - but my problem with Pipex is loss of
services from time to time and ineffective customer service.

Thanks,

Roger

Old March 21st 08, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:52:27 +0000, RJ wrote:

"alexd" wrote in message

I know some Fritz models have an ethernet WAN as well as ADSL. If yours
does, you could put the BeBox in bridge mode and give the public IP to
the Fritzbox. This will eliminate any NAT problems for the Fritzbox.

I am able to select in my software Internet connection via LAN 1 (Select
this kind of connection if FRITZ!Box is to be connected to an already
existing DSL router.) Apart from the lack of bandwidth management, I
would prefer not to have to use two boxes.

Sorry, by ethernet WAN I meant using the Fritzbox as a router, if it's
capable of doing so.

It's hardly likely to be slower than Pipex, is it?

I am sure that you are correct - but my problem with Pipex is loss of
services from time to time

I've had no loss of connection since September 2007 when I joined, but
Be's DNS and SMTP smarthost can be a little flaky from time to time.

and ineffective customer service.

I've had no problems with Be's eastern-bloc customer services, although
O2's are UK-based so YMMV.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:07:31 up 26 days, 1:59, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.01
Old March 21st 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"RJ" wrote in message
[...]

I have a 7050 on O2. I tried connecting the 7050 to DSL but I was
disappointed with the sync (ADSL2+ was an afterthought on this Fritz!Box) I
am sure I could ask O2 to tweak things a bit, but a 1mb drop vs O2 wireless
box was too much for me and I didn't expect much improvement.

So I tried connecting the Fritz as a switch to the O2 wireless box. Big
mistake. The O2 wireless box does something to the network config and I
could not get my e-mail and webserver working... VoIP was fine (remember
that the O2 wireless box is a voip box and so I believe it uses QoS. You
can also get VoIP working on the O2 wireless box with the SuperUser login)

So plan 3 was installing the bridge1.tpl on the O2 box. I have to say this
works a treat as I get all the benefits of both boxes. Only problem is that
the http management interfaces do not work on the O2 wireless box, so I
cannot get onto it to disable WLAN etc. Any tips gratefully received...

Hope this helps you decide the best config. I have found my O2 wireless
does occasionally drop DSL sync, but nowhere near as much as the Fritz (4-5
times a day). Remember to enter the sync speeds into the Fritz to make sure
that it manages bandwidth in the best way.

Make good use of www.beforum.co.uk - they have lots of good tips there too.
If you need the tpl it is on there, or PM me (remember to edit the address!)
and I will send it to you.

I get on well with O2, but some people had problems following an outage
recently. I have found their tech support to be good (and free!) in the
last two months I have been with them.

Old March 21st 08, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Malcolm Loades

In message , RJ
writes

Does anyone have a Fritz Box working well on O2/Be or should I not
choose O2 as my new ISP?

Yes, working impeccably.

The Fritz box is on Be and the call quality is faultless; no one knows
that my calls are via a voip provider. All calls other than 0800, 1471,
1571, and 999 go via my voip providers (not the plural).
Old March 22nd 08, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:30:54 +0000, Herman wrote:

So plan 3 was installing the bridge1.tpl on the O2 box. I have to say
this works a treat as I get all the benefits of both boxes. Only
problem is that the http management interfaces do not work on the O2
wireless box, so I cannot get onto it to disable WLAN etc. Any tips
gratefully received...

Mine's in bridged mode, and I can still access it by it's IP address. You
have to have an interface in the same subnet as the Bebox - ie my BeBox
is 192.168.1.254 and my PC is 192.168.1.3.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:43:42 up 26 days, 18:36, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.08, 0.02
Old March 22nd 08, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"alexd" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:30:54 +0000, Herman wrote:

So plan 3 was installing the bridge1.tpl on the O2 box. I have to say
this works a treat as I get all the benefits of both boxes. Only
problem is that the http management interfaces do not work on the O2
wireless box, so I cannot get onto it to disable WLAN etc. Any tips
gratefully received...

Mine's in bridged mode, and I can still access it by it's IP address. You
have to have an interface in the same subnet as the Bebox - ie my BeBox
is 192.168.1.254 and my PC is 192.168.1.3.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:43:42 up 26 days, 18:36, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.08, 0.02

Tried all that. There are two IP addresses I have configured for using on
LAN ports. Configured static IP on the client PC in the same subnet, with
each address to try to access it but to no avail. I have pasted the ip.ini
section of the bridge1.tpl in case that sheds any light...

Any other ideas???

[ ip.ini ]

ifadd intf=LocalNetwork dest=bridge

ifadd intf=BrEthoA dest=BridgeEthoA

ifconfig intf=loop mtu=65535 group=local

ifconfig intf=LocalNetwork mtu=1500 group=lan linksensing=disabled

ifconfig intf=BrEthoA mtu=1500 group=wan linksensing=disabled
primary=enabled

ifattach intf=LocalNetwork

ifattach intf=BrEthoA

config forwarding=enabled redirects=enabled netbroadcasts=disabled ttl=64
fraglimit=64 defragmode=enabled addrcheck=dynamic mssclamping=enabled

config checkoptions=enabled

config natloopback=disabled

ipadd intf=LocalNetwork addr=10.0.0.138/24 addroute=disabled

ipadd intf=LocalNetwork addr=192.168.1.254/24 addroute=disabled

ipconfig addr=192.168.1.254 primary=enabled

rtadd dst=255.255.255.255/32 gateway=127.0.0.1

rtadd dst=10.0.0.0/24 gateway=10.0.0.138

rtadd dst=192.168.1.0/24 gateway=192.168.1.254

rtadd dst=224.0.0.0/4 intf=BrEthoA

Old March 22nd 08, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:12:47 +0000, Herman wrote:

"alexd" wrote in message

Mine's in bridged mode, and I can still access it by it's IP address.
You have to have an interface in the same subnet as the Bebox - ie my
BeBox is 192.168.1.254 and my PC is 192.168.1.3.

Tried all that. There are two IP addresses I have configured for using
on LAN ports. Configured static IP on the client PC in the same subnet,
with each address to try to access it but to no avail. I have pasted
the ip.ini section of the bridge1.tpl in case that sheds any light...

I'm just using the standard multi-IP 3 ports config, and I've customised
it by enabling SNMP and the fourth port.

In other news, I've given up trying to get the built-in ATA to register
with the Asterisk box plugged into its LAN. However your post has
reminded that me it also has a 10.0.0.0/24 address so maybe I'll give
that a shot. It would be handy to use the ATA on the Bebox and put my
standalone ATA to better use.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:22:59 up 27 days, 2:15, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.07, 0.07
Old March 24th 08, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"alexd" wrote in message
I'm just using the standard multi-IP 3 ports config, and I've customised
it by enabling SNMP and the fourth port.

Could you let me know where you got your template file from? That might
give me a starting point. I take it you're using a 780 as well? The
template I am using was designed for a 716 which could be the problem.

In other news, I've given up trying to get the built-in ATA to register
with the Asterisk box plugged into its LAN. However your post has
reminded that me it also has a 10.0.0.0/24 address so maybe I'll give
that a shot. It would be handy to use the ATA on the Bebox and put my
standalone ATA to better use.

I got the voice working with voip.co.uk no probs - but only in router mode.
I tried pasting the appropriate config into the bridge1.tpl file, but it
doesn't seem to like it for some reason.