New user advice pse

Old March 21st 08, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default New user advice pse

Here at home we are 4Mb cable users and very happy with it. Whilst at
Uni my daughter lived in a modern block with a 10Mb feed from a tied
(but good) ISP.

Daughter is now about to set off on the path of life and is moving into
a 6-year old flat complex in Milton Keynes. As such it is only wired for
TV and telephone, the TV system is analogue only - this is relevant. As
a result her only broadband option is ADSL.

Can anyone recommend which package to go for please. Her needs a-

Good speed, ideally 4Mb but lower speed with better contention will do.
A reliable service, preferably with UK helpline.
Preferably uncapped, but 20Gb per month will be more than enough.
If telephone is included free UK evening/weekend calls, but broadband
only with BT for phone is acceptable.
As she cannot get DTTV then Sky (packages or FreeSat) is an option.

Apologies if this a common question, but being a cable user I don't
normally have course to read this NG.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 21st 08, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JohnW

Woody, in article [email protected]
gui.ntli.net, says...
[...]

To avoid repetition, see http://dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php.

The speed you get (on ADSL-max or +) will be dependent on the
distance from the exchange, whether you adequately isolate
your private, in-house phone wiring and whether the ISP you
choose "throttles" your traffic if you use it too much. Watch
out for the after-sales service - with some, it can be
expensive in call charges... Generally, the smaller the ISP
the better.

--
JohnW.
Replace the obvious with co.uk in 2 places to mail me.