Two Network cards

Old March 22nd 08, 11:45 AM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Two Network cards

If one has two network cards connected to a computer (eg one ethernet
and one wifi) and both are connected to the internet is there a priority
for outgoing traffic or can this cause problems.

Geoff Lane
Old March 22nd 08, 01:15 PM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Rob Morley wrote:

If one has two network cards connected to a computer (eg one ethernet
and one wifi) and both are connected to the internet is there a priority
for outgoing traffic or can this cause problems.

With a normal configuration both NICs will have a default route set - if
you want to use just one for internet access then remove the default
route for the other one. With both default routes set I suspect the
order they are tried will depend on the order in which they were loaded
into the routing table, so you might try swapping them around to see if
it makes any difference. Otherwise I think you're into advanced routing
with multiple tables.
As long as both NICs are running on the same network I don't think it
will cause any problems anyway.

The query only occured as we were setting up a new wifi adsl router at
our club; used the wired connection to set up the security on the wifi
then forgot to disable the ethernet before inserting the wifi card.

All appeared to work fine but I was then curious as to which interface
would be used.

Geoff Lane

Old March 22nd 08, 02:23 PM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
LR

Geoff Lane wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

[...]

Although you posted to linux.networking you didn't actually specify
which operating system was being used. If windows you may find this of
interest:-
Old March 22nd 08, 03:20 PM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

LR wrote:

The query only occured as we were setting up a new wifi adsl router at
our club; used the wired connection to set up the security on the wifi
then forgot to disable the ethernet before inserting the wifi card.

All appeared to work fine but I was then curious as to which interface
would be used.

Although you posted to linux.networking you didn't actually specify
which operating system was being used. If windows you may find this of
interest:-

Thanks, I'll view it.

We were using XP at the time but do run Linux machines at the club but
being Easter it was a quiet night :-)

Geoff Lane

Old March 22nd 08, 07:32 PM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

LR wrote:
Geoff Lane wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

[...]

Interesting, but does not match my experience with at least 15 laptops.
XP Pro SP2 seems to get confused with two connections, with network
traffic slowing to a crawl. Disable either connection and the remaining
connection returns to "normal" speeds. In the end, all laptops were set
to manual for wireless.

--
PeeGee

The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
to be removed from a computer easily."
Old March 23rd 08, 08:04 AM posted to comp.os.linux.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
LR

PeeGee wrote:

Interesting, but does not match my experience with at least 15
laptops. XP Pro SP2 seems to get confused with two connections, with
network traffic slowing to a crawl. Disable either connection and the
remaining connection returns to "normal" speeds. In the end, all
laptops were set to manual for wireless.

Since XP SP2 I haven't had any problems. The automatic setting for
"Routing Metric" has always given priority to the Ethernet connection. I
have just checked my dual boot laptops at home and with fully updated XP
SP2 they both give a "routing metric" of 20 for ethernet and 25 for
wireless and traffic goes via ethernet, routing metric is set to
automatic. If I change the wireless metric to 15 all traffic goes via
wireless and it only gets confusing if you set both to the same metric
and have the "automatic" setting on both cards disabled.
The metric setting can be manually configured in the TCP/IP advanced
settings.