VOIP service that can be used with a mobile phone?

Old March 23rd 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JakeD

Default VOIP service that can be used with a mobile phone?

Is there a VOIP phone service that can be used via a mobile phone?

Thanks,

JD
Old March 23rd 08, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
JakeD wrote:

Is there a VOIP phone service that can be used via a mobile phone?

I suspect you really want to ask the question: Is there a mobile phone
that can be used via a VoIP service ...

However Three let you make Skype calls on some handsets and some Nokia
handsets have SIP software built-in (which should work with any SIP
compliant VoIP provider) And there may be others..

What is it that you want to achieve?

Gordon
Old March 23rd 08, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
bob garbutt

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
JakeD wrote:
Is there a VOIP phone service that can be used via a mobile phone?

I suspect you really want to ask the question: Is there a mobile phone
that can be used via a VoIP service ...

However Three let you make Skype calls on some handsets and some Nokia
handsets have SIP software built-in (which should work with any SIP
compliant VoIP provider) And there may be others..

What is it that you want to achieve?

Gordon

Well this is sort of voip, I use the 3 mobile network that allows you to
make and receive calls via Skype, not perfect I know but it works well,
I get around 4000 mins on Skype calls a month and about 4,000 skype chat
in the monthly allowance, same for contract and PAYG, I use Voipcheap
and sipgate for my normal calls over the net.

Bob
Old March 23rd 08, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

Well this is sort of voip, I use the 3 mobile network that allows you to
make and receive calls via Skype, not perfect I know but it works well, I
get around 4000 mins on Skype calls a month and about 4,000 skype chat in
the monthly allowance, same for contract and PAYG, I use Voipcheap and
sipgate for my normal calls over the net.

Bob

Totally agree the 3 Skype service is great, in fact its not strictly mobile
VOIP not because its skype
but because it is hosted at 3 server level rather than a client. And works
much better for this, so much so
that I have pretty much given up all SIP based phone stuff

Old March 23rd 08, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JakeD

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:02:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

Is there a VOIP phone service that can be used via a mobile phone?

I suspect you really want to ask the question: Is there a mobile phone
that can be used via a VoIP service ...

I can't see any error in my wording of my question. I like the VOIP
service I use (at home), because, unlike Skype, (as I understand it),
I can make calls to any landline or mobile, and any landline or mobile
can call me. The VOIP service is much cheaper for making calls abroad
than is the mobile phone service. So what I'd like to achive is to be
able to make calls via my VOIP provider, using my mobile phone,
without getting billed for a call by the mobile phone company. This
may be impossible; I don't know.

I'm not very familiar with wifi internet access, at wireless hotspots,
but I was hoping that there was a way to make the call via the VOIP
service, once one is connected to the net (free of charge) at a wifi
hotspot. Perhaps not. My own VOIP customer services said not - but
then they are infamous for not knowing much! Or it could be true that
their own service cannot be accessed that way, but others can...

I wouldn't expect to be able to receive incoming calls via the VOIP
service, on my mobile, necessarily, but I could hopefully pick up
messages left on my VOIP voice mail service.

However Three let you make Skype calls on some handsets and some Nokia
handsets have SIP software built-in (which should work with any SIP
compliant VoIP provider) And there may be others..

Perhaps that is the way - thank you... I will read up on SIP...

JD

Old March 23rd 08, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JakeD

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:13:04 GMT, bob garbutt
wrote:

Well this is sort of voip, I use the 3 mobile network that allows you to
make and receive calls via Skype

But with Skype, you can only call other Skype users, is that right?

JD

Old March 23rd 08, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

wrote:

Is there a VOIP phone service that can be used via a mobile phone?

I suspect you really want to ask the question: Is there a mobile phone
that can be used via a VoIP service ...

I can't see any error in my wording of my question. I like the VOIP
service I use (at home), because, unlike Skype, (as I understand it),
I can make calls to any landline or mobile, and any landline or mobile
can call me. The VOIP service is much cheaper for making calls abroad
than is the mobile phone service. So what I'd like to achive is to be
able to make calls via my VOIP provider, using my mobile phone,
without getting billed for a call by the mobile phone company. This
may be impossible; I don't know.

Well - what you need is a mobile phone that can be used via a VoIP
service ...

Unless you are using Skype, nearly all VoIP providers use a standards
based system called SIP. Some mobile phones have SIP software built in.
Eg. The Nokia E95 and E90... Maybe others.

I'm not very familiar with wifi internet access, at wireless hotspots,
but I was hoping that there was a way to make the call via the VOIP
service, once one is connected to the net (free of charge) at a wifi
hotspot. Perhaps not. My own VOIP customer services said not - but
then they are infamous for not knowing much! Or it could be true that
their own service cannot be accessed that way, but others can...

So you need a phone with both a SIP client and Wi-Fi access...

Once you can establish an Internet connection you should be able to use
VoIP - however, in my experience, a busy Wi-Fi access point is worse
than useless for making VoIP calls. VoIP is quite demanding in terms of
what it needs to make it work, and it's easy for other users of the same
Wi-Fi access point to interfere with VoIP communications. (And I don't
even mean interfere deliberately, it's a shared resource, and if it's
busy, then ...)

I wouldn't expect to be able to receive incoming calls via the VOIP
service, on my mobile, necessarily, but I could hopefully pick up
messages left on my VOIP voice mail service.

You need to either divert your VoIP service to your mobile number,
or have a mobile phone with SIP and Wi-Fi, and be in-range of a Wi-Fi
access point. I have no problems recieving a VoIP call on my mobile when
I can satisfy those requirements.

So even if you have this (which I do, with my Nokia E90), finding a
"free" Wi-Fi access point is not easy, so you'll end up using a paid
service which might well work out more expensive than simply making a
call via the "normal" mobile phone network...

Some contracts do give you free access to various Wi-Fi hot-spots, but
you'll need to go through the contracts, websites, etc. to find this out.

And of-course, you'll need the details from your VoIP provider to
enter into your SIP+WiFi enabled mobile phone; server, username and
password, which they might not have told you if you bought something
pre-configured...

Gordon
Old March 23rd 08, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

JakeD presented the following explanation :
wrote:

Is there a VOIP phone service that can be used via a mobile phone?

I suspect you really want to ask the question: Is there a mobile phone
that can be used via a VoIP service ...

I can't see any error in my wording of my question. I like the VOIP
service I use (at home), because, unlike Skype, (as I understand it),
I can make calls to any landline or mobile, and any landline or mobile
can call me. The VOIP service is much cheaper for making calls abroad
than is the mobile phone service. So what I'd like to achive is to be
able to make calls via my VOIP provider, using my mobile phone,
without getting billed for a call by the mobile phone company. This
may be impossible; I don't know.

It's not impossible.

I've used fring on my e61i to connect to voipcheap/sipgate etc. Whilst
the Vodafone 3g connection was useable, the latency was higher than
when using wifi.

I'm not very familiar with wifi internet access, at wireless hotspots,
but I was hoping that there was a way to make the call via the VOIP
service, once one is connected to the net (free of charge) at a wifi
hotspot. Perhaps not.

You may find that you can ring out OK, but inbound may fail.

Or, you may find that you suffer from one-way audio issues.

Old March 23rd 08, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns

On 23/03/2008 19:17, JakeD wrote:

I can't see any error in my wording of my question.

I think the point that was being made was once you obtain a mobile phone
with VoIP capabilty, you can use any VoIP service, including the one you
already have.

There's unlilkey to be a service that allows you to use your existing
phone with your existing VoIP, or rather, if there was one, it would
likely cost you more than just using the mobile in the first place.

Old March 23rd 08, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:37:11 +0000, Jono wrote:

I've used fring on my e61i to connect to voipcheap/sipgate etc. Whilst
the Vodafone 3g connection was useable, the latency was higher than when
using wifi.

Was it 'usable' enough that you're still using it now? Given [say] 64kbps
G711, how much does it work out at per minute? Also, why didn't you use
the Nokia SIP client? Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition, but E61i +
Vodafone is under consideration at work so I'm interested in this.

And one final more general question: if you're using a network where n
packets out of every 100 go missing, does it make sense to use a higher
[G711] or lower [GSM] bitrate codec?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:18:45 up 28 days, 5:11, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.09, 0.08