Snom Dial Plan

Old March 24th 08, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Default Snom Dial Plan

Hello,

Crikey, just started playing with the Dial Plan for a Snom which is
connected to a PBX and requires 9 for external calls.

So, I have four bits so far:

|(^9[2-8][0-9]{5}$)|sip:\[email protected]\d|d

|(^90[1-9][0-9]{9}$)|sip:\[email protected]\d|d

|(^[2-4][0-9]{2}$)|sip:\[email protected]\d|d

|(^999$)|sip:9\[email protected]\d|d

The 1st part should cater for 6 digit local dialing (the PBX is
connected to BT lines, so no need to force the STD to dial - how would
I anyway.....I'd need 9 to be substituted with 901484)

The 2nd part should cater for 11 digit national dialing.

The 3rd part for PBX extesnions 2xx, 3xx or 4xx.

The last part deals with the emergency services.

Before I unleash it on a load of phones,...have I got it right?

Cheers.

Old March 25th 08, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Jono wrote:
Hello,

Crikey, just started playing with the Dial Plan for a Snom which is
connected to a PBX and requires 9 for external calls.

Why not get the PBX to remove the requirement to dial 9?

Gordon
Old March 25th 08, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Gordon Henderson explained :
In article ,
Jono wrote:
Hello,

Crikey, just started playing with the Dial Plan for a Snom which is
connected to a PBX and requires 9 for external calls.

Why not get the PBX to remove the requirement to dial 9?

Gordon

haha. I did - there's a little custom outbound config that allows for 6
digit local dialling & 11 digit national dialing without the need for
9.

......the problem, though, is that the extension numbers & speed dials
start with 2 or 3 - as do some local numbers.

So, in order to cater for 221, for instance, users would be unable to
dial 221xxx. (I think)

Old March 25th 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

Jono wrote:
Hello,

Crikey, just started playing with the Dial Plan for a Snom which is
connected to a PBX and requires 9 for external calls.

Why not get the PBX to remove the requirement to dial 9?

Gordon

haha. I did - there's a little custom outbound config that allows for 6
digit local dialling & 11 digit national dialing without the need for
9.

What about 10 digit national dialling? (Eg. South Brent - 01364, same
prefix as me, but 5 digit local numbers starting with 7)

.....the problem, though, is that the extension numbers & speed dials
start with 2 or 3 - as do some local numbers.

So, in order to cater for 221, for instance, users would be unable to
dial 221xxx. (I think)

If it's asterisk, 221 should have a higher priority over _[23]XXXXX

And if your local numbers are all exactly 6 digits, then just
_XXXXXX will work, as that'll match exactly 6 digits rather than 3, no
matter what the start digits are.

Of-course, if it's not asterisk, I know a man who could upgrade you to
one

Gordon
Old March 25th 08, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Gordon Henderson brought next idea :
Jono wrote:
Hello,

Crikey, just started playing with the Dial Plan for a Snom which is
connected to a PBX and requires 9 for external calls.

Why not get the PBX to remove the requirement to dial 9?

I also forgot to mention that the users prefer dialling 9 before an
external call.

Gordon

haha. I did - there's a little custom outbound config that allows for 6
digit local dialling & 11 digit national dialing without the need for
9.

What about 10 digit national dialling? (Eg. South Brent - 01364, same
prefix as me, but 5 digit local numbers starting with 7)

That would be an awfully complex dial plan to construct - I would have
to discover all the 5 digit number ranges - I think I'll leave them
having to press Tick on those!

.....the problem, though, is that the extension numbers & speed dials
start with 2 or 3 - as do some local numbers.

So, in order to cater for 221, for instance, users would be unable to
dial 221xxx. (I think)

If it's asterisk, 221 should have a higher priority over _[23]XXXXX

Yes, though the useful thing about the dial plan I posted is that the
Snom initiates the call as soon as the third digit is dialled (so long
as it starts with a 2, 3 or 4)....or a 7 or 12 digit number beginning
with 9.

So, if the user intends to dial 222333, the phone will dial 222 as soon
as the third 2 is keyed (without the need to press tick)

And if your local numbers are all exactly 6 digits, then just
_XXXXXX will work, as that'll match exactly 6 digits rather than 3, no
matter what the start digits are.

Of-course, if it's not asterisk,

It is

I know a man who could upgrade you to one

You or me?

Old March 25th 08, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

Jono wrote:
Hello,

Crikey, just started playing with the Dial Plan for a Snom which is
connected to a PBX and requires 9 for external calls.

Why not get the PBX to remove the requirement to dial 9?

I also forgot to mention that the users prefer dialling 9 before an
external call.

Bonkers! (But I guess it's been that way since forever )-:

Does it add a "9" to incoming numbers so any phone-books in the
phones work?

[...]

Ah, early-dial. OK. Not something I use - I try to make people think in
the same terms as mobile phones - dial the number, then "send" (or
"tick" on the snoms)

And if your local numbers are all exactly 6 digits, then just
_XXXXXX will work, as that'll match exactly 6 digits rather than 3, no
matter what the start digits are.

Of-course, if it's not asterisk,

It is

I know a man who could upgrade you to one

You or me?

Either/Or, but you're probably more local than me

Gordon
Old March 25th 08, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Gordon Henderson presented the following explanation :
In article ,

Why not get the PBX to remove the requirement to dial 9?

I also forgot to mention that the users prefer dialling 9 before an
external call.

Bonkers! (But I guess it's been that way since forever )-:

True, true.

Does it add a "9" to incoming numbers so any phone-books in the
phones work?

No. But that's not an issue because the PBX will dial without the 9, so
the phonebook numbers can be local or national length, with or without
9.

So, if the user intends to dial 222333, the phone will dial 222 as soon
as the third 2 is keyed (without the need to press tick)

Ah, early-dial. OK. Not something I use - I try to make people think in
the same terms as mobile phones - dial the number, then "send" (or
"tick" on the snoms)

It's just an experiment at this point - I'm just a little confused by
the structure of the Snom dialplan, though.

For instance, we're using ** to pick up another ringing phone. If I try
to cater for that in the Snom dialpan, it only dials a single * &
reports "Incomplete"

|(^**$)|sip:\[email protected]\d|d - doesn't appear to work.

you're probably more local than me

You're not wrong! Unless you're coming up to Sheffield again at some
point. I'll get you a coffee.

Jonathan.

Old March 25th 08, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:48:33 +0000, Jono wrote:

Yes, though the useful thing about the dial plan I posted is that the
Snom initiates the call as soon as the third digit is dialled (so long
as it starts with a 2, 3 or 4)....or a 7 or 12 digit number beginning
with 9.

Just OOI, why is that useful?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:16:21 up 30 days, 6:08, 2 users, load average: 0.20, 0.23, 0.18
Old March 25th 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

alexd used his keyboard to write :
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:48:33 +0000, Jono wrote:

Yes, though the useful thing about the dial plan I posted is that the
Snom initiates the call as soon as the third digit is dialled (so long
as it starts with a 2, 3 or 4)....or a 7 or 12 digit number beginning
with 9.

Just OOI, why is that useful?

One fewer key press.

More closely mimics a traditional system.

I like it.