Pipex 2Mb - PlusNet 8Mb / 10 day stabilisation period

Old March 25th 08, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

Default Pipex 2Mb - PlusNet 8Mb / 10 day stabilisation period

Will be moving very shortly from Pipex 2Mb to PlusNet 8Mb. (Eight days since
sign up) With regards to the 10 day stabilisation period I have read through
some old threads to determine what is the best process to attain the best
possible future speed.

The general concensus seemed to be just leave things alone and let the ISP
get on with it. However from the PlusnNet website:

"Should I expect teething problems when I first get 8Mb?
In the first 10 days following your upgrade, you will see your speeds vary,
and commonly may experience disconnections and some instability of your
connection. This is perfectly normal and if possible you should be prepared
for it.
Tests are carried out during this period to see what speed your line can
support. It's important that you frequently make new connections to the
Internet during this 10 day period so these tests can take place.

It's a good idea to disconnect your modem or router when doing this - this
will force your equipment to reconnect. The simplest way to do this is to
switch your equipment off, and then on again. If you're using a router, make
sure you switch the power to your router off and on again. After 10 days,
your speeds will stabilise at the fastest speed your line can support."

So what's the latest thoughts on this, just leave it alone or "Frequently
make new connections"

TIA

--

JC

Old March 25th 08, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 25/03/2008 12:17, JC wrote:

So what's the latest thoughts on this, just leave it alone or "Frequently
make new connections"

Leave it alone, the other end will disconnect to try various speeds.

Old March 25th 08, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:17:57 -0000, "JC"
wrote:

So what's the latest thoughts on this, just leave it alone or "Frequently
make new connections"

Carry on as usual. Whatever you do you will find your speed is
entirely dependent on your local connection from your router to the
exchange.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Build Neural Networks. http://www.easynn.com
Old March 26th 08, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

wrote:

So what's the latest thoughts on this, just leave it alone or "Frequently
make new connections"

Carry on as usual. Whatever you do you will find your speed is
entirely dependent on your local connection from your router to the
exchange.

Seconded, and if you have any problems then give me a shout!

Rgds,

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old March 26th 08, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

Seconded, and if you have any problems then give me a shout!

Just home and the email from PlusNet was there to say I'd been activated.

I thought my Pipex connection would be down and then I'd put my PlusNet
broadband account and username into the router and I'd get connected. Pipex
was still up and running but undeterred I disconnected and put the new login
details into my router. Everything up and running again so thumbs up

The only thing I notice odd is that on my 2Mb Pipex connection I was
connecting at 2272 kbps down and
288 kbps up. According to my Belkin router those stats are still the exact
same, should I be worried/looking at something else to get those up a bit?

Anyhow, things to do, shall have a look later.

--
JC

Old March 26th 08, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"JC" wrote in message
Anyhow, things to do, shall have a look later.

Have had a look and was a little disapointed to find out that I still seem
to be on a 2Mb connection, especially as BT claim speeds of up to 5Mb were
possible on my line.

My Pipex 2Mb line stats we
Up Down
Data rate (Kbps) 2272 288
Noise Margin (db) 17.3 25.0
Output power (dBm) 18.7 12.1
Attenuation (db) 43.0 22.5

My Plusnet line stats a
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2272 Kbps 288 Kbps
Noise Margin 18.6 dB 25.0 dB
Line Attenuation 45.0 dB 22.5 dB
Output Power 18.9 dBm 12.1 dBm

What I didn't realise is I have to request (Opt in) to an 8Mb upgrade. I
only found this out because I posted the above results to the PlusNet help
centre, I received a prompt reply telling me I had to request an upgrade and
they were done on the following Friday and completed within 10 days. So
hopefully there is better things to come.

--
JC

Old March 26th 08, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"JC" wrote in message

What I didn't realise is I have to request (Opt in) to an 8Mb upgrade.

Latest response from customer support:

"Dear Mr C,
We have now placed a manual regrade. This is due for completion on: 27/03/08

BT Reference: 1-*****

Regards,
Jonathan Whiting"

So far so good, great response times from CS.

--
JC

Old March 27th 08, 07:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"JC" wrote in message

snip

Router was disconnected this morning, reconnected and and got these stats:
Downstream: 5024 Upstream: 448, thats more like it

--
JC