3G roaming

Old March 25th 08, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Default 3G roaming

I have a requirement for 3G/GPRS roaming across Western (mainland)
Europe. I don't particularly need 3G/GRPS connectivity within the UK.

If I use a UK provider such as Vodafone, it works out at around 7/MB.
Are there any better deals available (including options such as non-UK
contracts)?

FWIW, typical usage varies tremendously but should be no more than
1GB/month, but hopefully closer to 100MB or so. Typical countries
include France (Toulouse, Paris), Belgium, Spain (Madrid), Germany,
Italy, and Portugal.

Thanks,
Chris
Old March 25th 08, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
John Blessing

Chris Davies wrote:
I have a requirement for 3G/GPRS roaming across Western (mainland)
Europe. I don't particularly need 3G/GRPS connectivity within the UK.

If I use a UK provider such as Vodafone, it works out at around 7/MB.
Are there any better deals available (including options such as non-UK
contracts)?

FWIW, typical usage varies tremendously but should be no more than
1GB/month, but hopefully closer to 100MB or so. Typical countries
include France (Toulouse, Paris), Belgium, Spain (Madrid), Germany,
Italy, and Portugal.

Thanks,
Chris

Anyone will be cheaper than vodafone.

Apart from their high data rate, they also charge in min 100kb increments

Try Three. I believe it is 3 per mb and charged per byte.

--
John Blessing

http://www.LbeHelpdesk.com - Help Desk software
http://www.room-booking-software.com - Schedule rooms & equipment
bookings http://www.lbetoolbox.com - De-Duplicates MS Outlook
http://www.repeatmail.com - schedule mass individual emails

Old March 25th 08, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Chris Davies brought next idea :
I have a requirement for 3G/GPRS roaming across Western (mainland)
Europe. I don't particularly need 3G/GRPS connectivity within the UK.

If I use a UK provider such as Vodafone, it works out at around 7/MB.
Are there any better deals available (including options such as non-UK
contracts)?

FWIW, typical usage varies tremendously but should be no more than
1GB/month, but hopefully closer to 100MB or so. Typical countries
include France (Toulouse, Paris), Belgium, Spain (Madrid), Germany,
Italy, and Portugal.

Thanks,
Chris

Vodafone have an alternative roaming charge - 8.50 per 24 hours,
rather than per megabyte

Old March 25th 08, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

In uk.telecom.mobile John Blessing wrote:
Anyone will be cheaper than vodafone.

I had a look around and found that most of the mainstream providers
charged fairly similar prices (I checked Orange, 3, and T-Mobile).

Apart from their high data rate, they also charge in min 100kb increments

You really mean kilobits or is that supposed to be kilobytes?

Try Three. I believe it is 3 per mb and charged per byte.

I'll take another look at 3's roaming charges. Thanks
Chris
Old March 25th 08, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

In uk.telecom.mobile Jono wrote:
Vodafone have an alternative roaming charge - 8.50 per 24 hours,
rather than per megabyte

Ah. I'll investigate.

Thank you!
Chris
Old March 26th 08, 06:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

On 25 Mar, 23:23, Chris Davies wrote:

I'll take another look at 3's roaming charges. Thanks

In the countries where 3 operate themselves (Austria, Ireland, Italy,
Denmark and Sweden, iirc) the charges for voice calls are exactly the
same as the UK. Dunno about data, but it might be worth checking. It's
called "3 Like Home".

Ian

Old March 26th 08, 07:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Rick Marks

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:23:46 +0000, Chris Davies
wrote:

Chris Davies wrote:
I have a requirement for 3G/GPRS roaming across Western (mainland)
Europe. I don't particularly need 3G/GRPS connectivity within the UK.

In uk.telecom.mobile John Blessing wrote:
Anyone will be cheaper than vodafone.

I had a look around and found that most of the mainstream providers
charged fairly similar prices (I checked Orange, 3, and T-Mobile).

Sadly that's no surprise. The mobile industry bears many hallmarks of
a cartel.

Apart from their high data rate, they also charge in min 100kb increments

You really mean kilobits or is that supposed to be kilobytes?

Sadly the telecoms industry loves to round (up) - and make 'connection
charges'. Operators can't afford an abacus with enough columns.

[snip]

Old March 26th 08, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
John Blessing

Chris Davies wrote:
Chris Davies wrote:

Apart from their high data rate, they also charge in min 100kb
increments

kilobytes

--
John Blessing