Audio streaming / BT Broadband / PlusNet

Old March 26th 08, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

Default Audio streaming / BT Broadband / PlusNet

I have a family member who has been on BT broadband for 18 - 24 months. His
use is very minimal, mainly surfing a few hours and a 1-2 hr audio stream
each week. He doesn't download any music/movies/files. When I was using his
PC earlier this week I discovered he's on a 2Mb connection with a 40Gb
download limit, he's paying 24.99 for this. Totally inapropriate for his
needs and I've advised him to change his package.

He's very conservative in his views and is very much in the "Your better off
with BT" camp. So Option1 (8Mb, 5Gb limit) @ 17.99 seems much more
suitable.

As I have just moved to PlusNet I was thinking of recommending the Option1
(8Mb, 1Gb limit) @ 9.99 to him. Not sure I could talk him into leaving BT
but it would be worth a try IMO. Do you think a 1Gb download limit would
cover his current use?

--
JC

Old March 26th 08, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

JC wrote:

I have a family member who has been on BT broadband for 18 - 24 months. His
use is very minimal, mainly surfing a few hours and a 1-2 hr audio stream
each week. He doesn't download any music/movies/files. When I was using his
PC earlier this week I discovered he's on a 2Mb connection with a 40Gb
download limit, he's paying 24.99 for this. Totally inapropriate for his
needs and I've advised him to change his package.

He's very conservative in his views and is very much in the "Your better off
with BT" camp. So Option1 (8Mb, 5Gb limit) @ 17.99 seems much more
suitable.

As I have just moved to PlusNet I was thinking of recommending the Option1
(8Mb, 1Gb limit) @ 9.99 to him. Not sure I could talk him into leaving BT
but it would be worth a try IMO. Do you think a 1Gb download limit would
cover his current use?

Possibly a bit marginal

BT is NOT a great ISP btw. For the same money you can get the same package feom
Idnet and they're one of the best.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/co...commit=Compare
http://www.idnet.net/solutions/homelite.jsp

Graham

Old March 26th 08, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"JC" wrote in message
[...]

Quite possibly

I'm on a 2Gb tariff with Plusnet, there are two of us using the computer,
mostly surfing, emailing, using Usenet and downloading the occasional tune.

We manage to stay just within the 2Gb each month without really worrying
about it, being online from about 9 am to midnight every day.

I moved from BT, mainly because of their poor value for money and the
Bangalore call centre.

George

Old March 27th 08, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JohnF

"JC" wrote in message
[...]

A nice thing about F9 (and also PlusNet, I presume) is that you can choose
what happens when your 1GByte limit is exceeded. Either the speed can drop
to about 100k or they can charge you another pound for another GByte. Just
set it up on their site and change it month by month if you wish.
(F9, PlusNet etc are now a part of BT if that gives your friend any
comfort.)

Old March 27th 08, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"JohnF" wrote in message

A nice thing about F9 (and also PlusNet, I presume) is that you can choose
what happens when your 1GByte limit is exceeded. Either the speed can drop
to about 100k or they can charge you another pound for another GByte. Just
set it up on their site and change it month by month if you wish.
(F9, PlusNet etc are now a part of BT if that gives your friend any
comfort.)

I installed netmeter on his PC tonight to give me a better idea of his use.
Im sure a 2Gb limit would cover his needs and IMO at 11 that would be
ideal, however I don't think he'll do it as your better of with BT sigh

Anyhow I rang BT on hs behalf tonight to get the free option 2 evening and
weekend telephone voice calls (If you agree to a 12 month contract) While I
was on the bod at the other end mentioned his current BB contract had
expired and at 24.99 he might get something better cheaper. I said that he
was considering moving as even the basic option 1 (8Mb, 5Gb download) @
17.99 was overpriced. He said that though it wasn't his dept (And he would
have to transfer me to the BB dept for a definitive answer) he was sure that
it could be discounted a bit further to keep him aboard. Might give them a
ring in a few days to see whats on offer, he'd happily pay 17.99 to stay
with BT so if I could get it a bit cheaper then that would be all the
better.

--
JC

Old March 28th 08, 07:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

In article , "JC" tullyhubbert
says...
I have a family member who has been on BT broadband for 18 - 24 months. His
use is very minimal, mainly surfing a few hours and a 1-2 hr audio stream
each week. He doesn't download any music/movies/files. When I was using his
PC earlier this week I discovered he's on a 2Mb connection with a 40Gb
download limit, he's paying 24.99 for this. Totally inapropriate for his
needs and I've advised him to change his package.

He's very conservative in his views and is very much in the "Your better off
with BT" camp. So Option1 (8Mb, 5Gb limit) @ 17.99 seems much more
suitable.

As I have just moved to PlusNet I was thinking of recommending the Option1
(8Mb, 1Gb limit) @ 9.99 to him. Not sure I could talk him into leaving BT
but it would be worth a try IMO. Do you think a 1Gb download limit would
cover his current use?

Wouldnt like to chance it myself. 1Gb is bugger all.
--
Regards
Jon
Old March 29th 08, 01:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Jon wrote:
In article , "JC" tullyhubbert
says...
[...]

14.99 for 8GB, and even on the 1GB package anything between Midnight
and 8:00am isn't counted towards your usage.

Rgds,

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old April 8th 08, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

An update on this one

"JC" wrote in message

I installed netmeter on his PC tonight to give me a better idea of his
use. Im sure a 2Gb limit would cover his needs and IMO at 11 that would
be ideal, however I don't think he'll do it as your better of with BT
sigh

I checked after one week and he had used 17Mb. When quizzed he said that it
was more or less a normal weeks use!

Anyhow I rang BT on hs behalf tonight to get the free option 2 evening and
weekend telephone voice calls (If you agree to a 12 month contract) While
I was on the bod at the other end mentioned his current BB contract had
expired and at 24.99 he might get something better cheaper. I said that
he was considering moving as even the basic option 1 (8Mb, 5Gb download) @
17.99 was overpriced. He said that though it wasn't his dept (And he
would have to transfer me to the BB dept for a definitive answer) he was
sure that it could be discounted a bit further to keep him aboard. Might
give them a ring in a few days to see whats on offer, he'd happily pay
17.99 to stay with BT so if I could get it a bit cheaper then that would
be all the better.

Despite his limited use he's determined he's staying with BT. I'll check his
use after a forthnight and then ring them to see what is the best deal they
can do him to retain his business.

--
JC