Connecting a BT Home Hub to a Vista wireless laptop.

Old March 26th 08, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
smiley

Default Connecting a BT Home Hub to a Vista wireless laptop.

I have just brought my self a BT Home Hub and was hoping to be able to
use my laptop wireless card on it, but i have a few problems.
The cd that came with it doesnt work with vista.
When i go startconnect to it shows upbut it fails to connect and says
unkown connecton problem.
is there any way i could get it working? many thanks
Old March 26th 08, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

smiley wrote:
I have just brought my self a BT Home Hub and was hoping to be able
to use my laptop wireless card on it, but i have a few problems.
The cd that came with it doesnt work with vista.
When i go startconnect to it shows upbut it fails to connect and
says unkown connecton problem.
is there any way i could get it working? many thanks

Why do you need to run the BT disk if you've already got your wifi
card drivers installed & working???

Make sure that both pieces of equipment are on the same 'channel' &
that you know the security code & coding being used by the Home Hub.
This may well mean you having to use a wired connection just to set
up.

That will get you a lot further along than just trying to run a ISPs
CD which will just clutter up (& possibly corrupt some settings on)
your laptop.

Old March 27th 08, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
smiley

On 26 Mar, 23:25, "kraftee" wrote:
smiley wrote:
I have just brought my self a BT Home Hub and was hoping to be able
to use my laptop wireless card on it, but i have a few problems.
The cd that came with it doesnt work with vista.
When i go startconnect to it shows upbut it fails to connect and
says unkown connecton problem.
is there any way i could get it working? many thanks

Why do you need to run the BT disk if you've already got your wifi
card drivers installed & working???

Make sure that both pieces of equipment are on the same 'channel' &
that you know the security code & coding being used by the Home Hub.
This may well mean you having to use a wired connection just to set
up.

That will get you a lot further along than just trying to run a ISPs
CD which will just clutter up (& possibly corrupt some settings on)
your laptop

I've got the channel which is 1, is the secuity code the same as the
wep code? and what other coding. sorry im a newbie to wireless.
Old March 27th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 27/03/2008 in message
smiley
wrote:

I've got the channel which is 1, is the secuity code the same as the
wep code? and what other coding. sorry im a newbie to wireless.

My daughter has a home hub and the security code (which is a WEP code) was
printed on the hub itself I believe. Your wireless connection on the
laptop needs to be set to use DHCP (automatically obtain an IP address).
You should get some indication of it attempting to connect - you may need
to double click the icon in the system tray to be able to enter the WEP
code, I don't use Vista so can't be more specific.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap
Old March 27th 08, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"smiley" wrote in message
On 26 Mar, 23:25, "kraftee" wrote:
smiley wrote:
[...]

In Vista...
if it doesn't just prompt and say there is a network available anyway...
right click on the network icon on the bottom right (two little screens) and
select "connect to a network"..
choose the BT hub if more than one is there..
enter the code off the bottom of the hub when Vista asks for the key..
Done.

Old March 27th 08, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[email protected] wrote:
"smiley" wrote in message
On 26 Mar, 23:25, "kraftee" wrote:
smiley wrote:
[...]

And make sure that you change the security to use WPA since WEP is as secure
as an open door.

--
Peter Crosland

Old March 27th 08, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
smiley

On 27 Mar, 12:18, "Peter Crosland" wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
"smiley" wrote in message
On 26 Mar, 23:25, "kraftee" wrote:
smiley wrote:
[...]

how do i change it to wpa?
Old March 27th 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[email protected] wrote:
"smiley" wrote in message
On 26 Mar, 23:25, "kraftee" wrote:
smiley wrote:
[...]

Look at the instruction manual for the router/modem under security settings.

Peter Crosland

Old March 27th 08, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 27/03/2008 in message
smiley
wrote:

I've got the channel which is 1, is the secuity code the same as the
wep code? and what other coding. sorry im a newbie to wireless.

My daughter has a home hub and the security code (which is a WEP code) was
printed on the hub itself I believe. Your wireless connection on the
laptop needs to be set to use DHCP (automatically obtain an IP address).
You should get some indication of it attempting to connect - you may need
to double click the icon in the system tray to be able to enter the WEP
code, I don't use Vista so can't be more specific.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap

Some vista machines have difficulty with dhcp....

Gaz

Old March 27th 08, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"smiley" wrote in message
I have just brought my self a BT Home Hub and was hoping to be able to
use my laptop wireless card on it, but i have a few problems.
The cd that came with it doesnt work with vista.
When i go startconnect to it shows upbut it fails to connect and says
unkown connecton problem.
is there any way i could get it working? many thanks

i) You do not need to use any cd to get the laptop and the hub working.
ii) some bt hubs need you to press the association button to enable wireless
association, this isnt the case for the white or the black home hubs.
iii) Vista can sometimes have difficulty connecting to routers, which might
require the entering of manual ip addresses.
iv) Does the laptop and the hub work fine when you connect using the cable
(the thick cable, larger then a telephone cable called an ethernet cable)?

Gaz