A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

How secure is wep?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 27th 08, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
smiley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default How secure is wep?

I understand that using wep as an wireless sercuity is like leaving a
door open. is this true if it is how would change it?
  #2  
Old March 27th 08, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 130
Default How secure is wep?

In message
,
smiley wrote
I understand that using wep as an wireless sercuity is like leaving a
door open. is this true if it is how would change it?


It's a lot better than using nothing but Google for WPA or WPA2. I use
the latter on my XP machine but had to download a WPA update from the
Microsoft site.

Use a decent key - download a random key generator such as can be found
at
http://www.soroban.co.uk/wepkeygen.htm
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
  #3  
Old March 27th 08, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
drummie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default How secure is wep?

WEP is not very secure at all. It's a bit like leaving your front door
opening and hoping no one comes in.
Most routers have WPA/WPA2 settings which is more secure than WEP.
Generate a security key on the router or download a key generator.

Drummie


"smiley" wrote in message
...
I understand that using wep as an wireless sercuity is like leaving a
door open. is this true if it is how would change it?



  #4  
Old March 27th 08, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 342
Default How secure is wep?

"drummie" wrote in message
...
WEP is not very secure at all. It's a bit like leaving your front door
opening and hoping no one comes in.
Most routers have WPA/WPA2 settings which is more secure than WEP.
Generate a security key on the router or download a key generator.


WEP is more secure than having no security at all. It will deter casual
visitors who are scanning for available networks in the area and who will
use an unsecured network if one is available.

But WPA is much more secure.

Sadly there are some PCs with older wireless adaptors (either plug-in or
built-in) which can only use WEP. My girlfriend's Sony laptop (about 2003
vintage) is one of those: when I was setting up her router it pained me to
have to set it up with WEP. Of course I could have opted not to use the
built-in adaptor and use a Cardbus adaptor such as a Netgear WG311 instead,
but that makes the PC less portable because the card sticks out of the side
of the laptop.


  #5  
Old March 28th 08, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 360
Default How secure is wep?

I understand that using wep as an wireless sercuity is like leaving a
door open. is this true if it is how would change it?


You can download a fully automated linux distribution that will
display the WEP key of any network within range. Allegedly.

Not sure whether it hacks WPA as well (possibly brute force ?)
  #6  
Old March 28th 08, 01:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 699
Default How secure is wep?


"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
I understand that using wep as an wireless sercuity is like leaving a
door open. is this true if it is how would change it?


You can download a fully automated linux distribution that will
display the WEP key of any network within range. Allegedly.

Not sure whether it hacks WPA as well (possibly brute force ?)


With all the computers in all the world it would probably still take all the
time in the world - which is the whole idea...


  #7  
Old March 28th 08, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 797
Default How secure is wep?

In article ,
smiley wrote:
I understand that using wep as an wireless sercuity is like leaving a
door open. is this true if it is how would change it?


WEP isn't that secure, but it's better than nothing. It will stop the
casual sniffer and make them more likely to move on to someone else,
if all they're looking for is free bandwidth.

If you can, use WPA or WPA2, but if your Access Point is older
and supports WEP only, then most will also support MAC addres
authentication. It's fiddly to use, but adds a 2nd barrier. It won't stop
people breaking the WEP key and snooping data - such as unencrypted email
usernames and passwords, but it might stop them stealing your bandwidth.
It's still possible to fake a MAC address though, but you need to break
the WEP first and them wait for a station to stop using the netowrk
before taking over their MAC, but you've got to be really determined
(or desperate) to go that far...

Gordon
  #8  
Old March 28th 08, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,463
Default How secure is wep?

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article
,
smiley wrote:
I understand that using wep as an wireless sercuity is like leaving a
door open. is this true if it is how would change it?


WEP isn't that secure, but it's better than nothing. It will stop the
casual sniffer and make them more likely to move on to someone else,
if all they're looking for is free bandwidth.

If you can, use WPA or WPA2, but if your Access Point is older
and supports WEP only, then most will also support MAC addres
authentication. It's fiddly to use, but adds a 2nd barrier. It won't
stop people breaking the WEP key and snooping data - such as
unencrypted email usernames and passwords, but it might stop them
stealing your bandwidth.
It's still possible to fake a MAC address though, but you need to
break
the WEP first and them wait for a station to stop using the netowrk
before taking over their MAC, but you've got to be really determined
(or desperate) to go that far...


AFAIK MAC codes are transmitted un-encrypted so they add nothing to
security.

Peter Crosland




  #9  
Old March 28th 08, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 102
Default How secure is wep?

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
I understand that using wep as an wireless sercuity is like leaving a
door open. is this true if it is how would change it?

You can download a fully automated linux distribution that will
display the WEP key of any network within range. Allegedly.

Not sure whether it hacks WPA as well (possibly brute force ?)


With all the computers in all the world it would probably still take all the
time in the world - which is the whole idea...


/Provided/ the key is good. I think I recall a dictionary attack method
was mentioned a while back that could crack a poor wpa key quite quickly.


--
Mike Scott (unet at scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
  #10  
Old March 28th 08, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 56
Default How secure is wep?

On 28/03/2008 10:30, Mike Scott wrote:

/Provided/ the key is good. I think I recall a dictionary attack method
was mentioned a while back that could crack a poor wpa key quite quickly.


There's some FPGA based hardware (called a cowpatty), that together with
large (40GB) rainbow tables, can do dictionary attacks (1 million words
against 1000 popular SSIDs) at a huge rate of knots

http://www.churchofwifi.org/

Don't think it can do brute forcing yet though so use non-dictionary WPA
keys and SSIDs.

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F-Secure & TalkTalk The Devil uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 June 25th 07 02:40 PM
Secure Line Steve uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 April 22nd 07 10:37 AM
How secure is SIP ? Doz uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 5 August 25th 06 10:33 AM
Wep not secure - trust me wps uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 7 February 26th 05 06:29 PM
How secure is WEP? Tony uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 July 14th 04 07:19 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.