Sharing files from 1 computer to another

Old March 27th 08, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
smiley

Default Sharing files from 1 computer to another

Can any 1 help me out here?

I have a desktop computer running xp connected to a BT Home Hub with
an rj45 lead and would like share files from the desktop to a laptop
runnning vista which is wirelessy conected to the Hub. I have never
tried to set any thing up like this before.
Old March 27th 08, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 27/03/2008 in message
smiley
wrote:

Can any 1 help me out here?

I have a desktop computer running xp connected to a BT Home Hub with
an rj45 lead and would like share files from the desktop to a laptop
runnning vista which is wirelessy conected to the Hub. I have never
tried to set any thing up like this before.

I put some notes together he
http://www.jgaines.eu/html/networkin...computers.html

Any questions then uk.comp.home-networking is a more appropriate group.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
"Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying,
Old March 28th 08, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MJP

On 27 Mar, 22:14, smiley wrote:
Can any 1 help me out here?

I have a desktop computer running xp connected to a BT Home Hub with
an rj45 lead and would like *share files from the desktop to a laptop
runnning vista which is wirelessy conected to the Hub. I have never
tried to set any thing up like this before.

The text below is copied from the website

http://forums.techguy.org/networking...nown-device.ht

""Since the latest firmware update, I seemed to get a third ethernet
port
appear (ethport3) that had an unknown device attached to it. A port
scan
revealed a Samba server running. Curious! The latest firmware, it
would
seem, runs a file/print server on 192.168.1.253. I just popped a
Bytestor
512Mb USB pendrive in USB port A and restarted the BT Home Hub, and
named
the unknown device Bytestor.

After restarting the BT Home Hub, I now have a nice little NAS
solution by
browsing to \\bytestor.home\bt_7g, nice one BT!

I'm going to try a USB portable disk later, I'm not sure if it will be
able
to power it or not. The other thing to bear in mind is that it's a USB
port
and not USB2, so it's only 12Mbits/s.""

I have tried this myself with a USB stick and mapped the drive
successfully.

MJP