Sharing files from 1 computer to another

Old March 28th 08, 07:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
smiley

Default Sharing files from 1 computer to another

Can any 1 help me out here?

I have a desktop computer running xp connected to a BT Home Hub with
an rj45 lead and would like share files from the desktop to a laptop
runnning vista which is wirelessy conected to the Hub. I have never
tried to set any thing up like this before.
Old March 30th 08, 08:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
smiley

On Mar 30, 7:20*pm, Jon wrote:
In article d38a93ef-5575-4a51-9742-8a522440c674
@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com, says...

Can any 1 help me out here?

I have a desktop computer running xp connected to a BT Home Hub with
an rj45 lead and would like *share files from the desktop to a laptop
runnning vista which is wirelessy conected to the Hub. I have never
tried to set any thing up like this before.

On teh XP Machine right-click the folder you want to share and choose
"sharing and security", the rest is fairly self explanatory.

You will also need to make sure both machines have the same workgroup
name (default is MSHOME, this will work fine.)
--
Regards
Jon

how can i make sure both machines work group are set the same? as i
understand vista default is different
Old March 31st 08, 11:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Sun

I don't think it should matter if the machines are in the same Workgroup or
not. The main thing is to know the computer name so that you can reach it by
selecting e.g. \\computername\sharename. Right-click "My Computer" -
Properties - Computer Name tab on the XP machine for this.

Often, access to the shared out folder does not work on first attempt for a
variety of reasons mostly related to security settings but it's worth
persevering as usually, it is not too difficult to troubleshoot.

Hope this helps - Cheers from Mike.