Fault in the exchange ?

Old March 28th 08, 06:39 PM posted to bt.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Fault in the exchange ?

I've spent weeks chasing a problem to no result. Intermittently - when
the phone is in use, the broadband will drop / resync to very low rates.
Broadband overspill noise is heard on the phone during these episodes.
Doesn't sound like a line fault IMHO, as a quiet line test is QUIET most
of the time, and my sync speed and S/Noise margin are normally good.
Automated overnight line tests haven't thrown up any reports, it seems.

This happens also from the test socket, so it isn't the house wiring. It
isn't RF pickup, either.

I wonder if this is a fault in the exchange ? My money would be on the
voice/DSL splitter in the exchange, or maybe a duff jumper (but would
that would show on a quiet line test?).

Any BT folk like to venture an opinion ? I've registered this as a
fault, but I'd like to get some informed opinion prior to the inevitable
call from India. I DON'T want them charging me for an engineer's
visit, since I don't think there is any problem at my end of the line.

John Livingston
Old March 29th 08, 12:04 AM posted to bt.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

John wrote:
[...]

It could very easily be a HR connection on your line (& not the
exchange). The bitch will be attempting to find it....

Old March 29th 08, 07:56 PM posted to bt.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
PaulB

Try changing the microfilter, it could have turned bad. I'm currently having
a similar issue just without the BB noise on the voice side of the line.
This usually indicates a microfilter issue.

Old March 29th 08, 08:24 PM posted to bt.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
John

PaulB wrote:
Try changing the microfilter, it could have turned bad. I'm currently
having a similar issue just without the BB noise on the voice side of
the line. This usually indicates a microfilter issue.

Done that - now using an XTE2005 faceplate filter on the NTE. No
improvement. HOWEVER - by my reckoning, the OTHER splitter / filter in
the circuit (the one at the exchange) could equally well be causing
this. Possibly a fault in the DSLAM - but I don't know enough about the
exchange config to be sure.

Kraftee made a reasonable suggestion that it could be a high resistance
(HR) connection on the line. I'm not sure this applies in my case - last
night I had a wandering SNR and noise for some hours. Then the router
resync'd. No trace of the fault from then to now.
If this had been an HR on the external, I would have thought the
wandering SNR etc would have continued after the resync. It's this
"clear after resync" effect that make me suspect the exchange equipment.

There's a fault booked on this - I'll see what transpires.

John Livingston