alternatives to Zonealarm ?

Old March 29th 08, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default alternatives to Zonealarm ?

its a pain with this file vxmon.exe swamping the cpu for no apparent
reason .
its the genuine file and not the virus file ,i have tried to turn it
off or disable it but the only way to shut the farking thing down is
to shut done zonealarm completely .
Do zonealarm know its a nuisance file ? tried all the fixes but it
wont stop swamping the cpu ...
Old March 29th 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

John wrote:

I eventually dumped it and went with Kerio Personal Firewall. I found
Kerio 2.1.5 was the most reliable and easiest to manage. The later
versions seemed bloated and less intuitive IMHO, as well as not being
freeware - so I am now back with 2.1.5. Still available, still free.

If you have a NAT/SPI firewall built into your router, and are generally
careful about what applications your machine is running and their
installation sources - I'd argue 3rd party software firewalls are
perhaps unnecesary.

Yeah, I know XP's firewall does not not block outward going packets, but
chances of me loaded something worrying to do that are remote.

--
Adrian C
Old March 29th 08, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote in message
its a pain with this file vxmon.exe swamping the cpu for no apparent
reason .
its the genuine file and not the virus file ,i have tried to turn it
off or disable it but the only way to shut the farking thing down is
to shut done zonealarm completely .
Do zonealarm know its a nuisance file ? tried all the fixes but it
wont stop swamping the cpu ...

I don't understand.
I have the latest version of Zone Alarm and it works.
What type of problem are you experiencing?

George

Old March 29th 08, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bornfree

On 29 Mar, 19:33, wrote:
its a pain with this file vxmon.exe swamping the cpu for no apparent
reason .
its the genuine file and not the virus file ,i have tried to turn it
off or disable it but the only way to shut the farking thing down is
to shut done zonealarm completely .
Do zonealarm know its a nuisance file ? tried all the fixes but it
wont stop swamping the cpu ...

Since Zonealarm was bought out I found it a complete pain.

If you like a firewall that doesn't hassle you too much, I recommend
Ashampoo Free Firewall. It has a nice slick interface and an "Easy"
mode to make things quicker.
Old March 29th 08, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Tried an older version ? 4.5.594.000 here. The new ones are just full of
'fluff'.

http://www.oldversion.com is damn useful for this sort of stuff !
Old March 30th 08, 02:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

its a pain with this file vxmon.exe swamping the cpu for no apparent
reason .

I don't understand.
I have the latest version of Zone Alarm and it works.
What type of problem are you experiencing?

Some people have always had "issues" with ZoneAlarm and this sort of
behaviour - i've never had it myself, but have come across rare
instances where it really has been a nightmare for them.

It might just be one of those scenarios where it was a full moon when
driver "x" was installed, and two chickens were substituted for a goat
in error :-}
Old March 30th 08, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:20:25 -0000, "George Weston"
wrote:

wrote in message
its a pain with this file vxmon.exe swamping the cpu for no apparent
reason .
its the genuine file and not the virus file ,i have tried to turn it
off or disable it but the only way to shut the farking thing down is
to shut done zonealarm completely .
Do zonealarm know its a nuisance file ? tried all the fixes but it
wont stop swamping the cpu ...

I don't understand.
I have the latest version of Zone Alarm and it works.
What type of problem are you experiencing?

George

No problems with latest ZA but I did have trouble with some earlier
version. I think the OP means vsmon.exe ('s' not 'x'). I've never
known it to swamp the CPU. It is running at zero CPU now.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Build Neural Networks. http://www.easynn.com