PlusNet versus SKY

Old March 30th 08, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Beresford B`stard

Default PlusNet versus SKY

Some feed back for PlusNet

Yesterday my broadband service terminated with Plusnet and was taken
over by Sky.
I was connected and up and running within minutes.

OK the feed back for you at Plusnet is that I was astonished, gob
smacked at how fast the Sky service was compared to PlusNet and I have
complained frequently about how slow PlusNet was...almost a dial up
connection. You took no notice and did nothing. It was clear you
frequently throttled the service and your servers simply could not
keep up with the demand. Its a frequent theme appearing in magazines
and on web sites and in news groups. You constantly deny it but the
facts are obvious. You throttle customers connections.

So I ran some tests on the speed using a number of different sites/
methods incl Bt speed test and surprise surprise Sky was more than
twice as fast as my old PlusNet conection, and at the busiest time of
the day!!!.

Now this is the best bit. For that `half a service` you charged me
£21.99 a month and also slapped a 20 Gb download limit on me which
wasn`t there when you sold me the service originally.

Sky on the other hand is more than half your price, £10 a month and is
unlimited but subject to a fair usage policy. They dont specify a
limit and state they have more than enough capacity.

So in terms of speed and cost and usage Sky beats Plusnet hand down.

Number 1 ISP in the UK...dont make me laugh ;-))))))

Old March 30th 08, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Alan Beresford B`stard wrote :
Sky on the other hand is more than half your price, £10 a month and is
unlimited but subject to a fair usage policy. They dont specify a
limit and state they have more than enough capacity.

I thought the specified limit was 250Gb a month

Old March 30th 08, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:40:29 UTC, "Alan Beresford B`stard"
wrote:

Now this is the best bit. For that `half a service` you charged me
ΓΊ21.99 a month and also slapped a 20 Gb download limit on me which
wasn`t there when you sold me the service originally.

True. That's the reason I moved all my clients off Plusnet and actively
recommend everyone against using them - the dynamic update of the
'rules', in some cases not even telling customers.

Sky on the other hand is more than half your price, ΓΊ10 a month

I make that 'less than half the price', actually.

and is
unlimited but subject to a fair usage policy. They dont specify a
limit

Of course not; it means Sky can make up the limits as they go along.

So in terms of speed and cost and usage Sky beats Plusnet hand down.

Possibly. But it's still Sky. Try getting problems fixed...

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old March 30th 08, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Zerafa

Hi,

Well I have found the exact opposite when compairing Sky with Plusnet.

Many of my customers who moved to Sky (perhaps because the had Sky TV
already) have regretted it.

As with all broadband connections they are very variable and simply
switching providers might have reset or changed something on your line which
was causing the issues with Plusnet.

Kind Regards

Simon

Old March 30th 08, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

[...]

I have been Sky BB customer for about fifteen months, and without a shadow
of doubt, they are the single best ISP i have ever had, and the cheapest.
Their speeds are excellent, their downloads are unlimited (i have tried it,
no warning letter, even after i went on a 'download hd movies of usenet'
bender), and they answer the phone reasonably promptly. I have had to phone
them three times, one time was to upgrade from the free service to the £10 a
month service, it took a five minute conversation, and thirty seconds and a
reboot of the router later for my upload speed to double and my download
speed to increase by a third.

However, like pretty much all mainstream bb providers, if anything goes
wrong they are useless, their email system didnt work at all (now managed by
google though), their website is awful, adding new emails is paniful and
bizzarely difficult.

Sky is excellent, but work on the assumption that you wont use their emails,
and that you have a third party for usenet.

Sky BB, my experience 10/10

Gaz

Old March 30th 08, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Jono wrote:
Alan Beresford B`stard wrote :
Sky on the other hand is more than half your price, £10 a month and
is unlimited but subject to a fair usage policy. They dont specify a
limit and state they have more than enough capacity.

I thought the specified limit was 250Gb a month

Which is an awful lot of download.... And, falls within the context of a
FUP.

Gaz

Old April 1st 08, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herman

"Alan Beresford B`stard" wrote in message
Some feed back for PlusNet

OK the feed back for you at Plusnet is that I was astonished, gob
smacked at how fast the Sky service was compared to PlusNet and I have
complained frequently about how slow PlusNet was...almost a dial up
connection. You took no notice and did nothing. It was clear you
frequently throttled the service and your servers simply could not
keep up with the demand. Its a frequent theme appearing in magazines
and on web sites and in news groups. You constantly deny it but the
facts are obvious. You throttle customers connections.

I believe that Sky is ADSL2+ whereas PlusNet would probably be using MAX.
This would account for the increase in speed. Not sure the lack of speed
with PlusNet is deliberate, although you are obviously better off with Sky,
at least on the local loop.

Perhaps you could get even more out of the service by checking your line
quality. It could be that a physical line problem that restricted speed on
PlusNet is still present with Sky... Just a thought.

Old April 2nd 08, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Herman" wrote in message
[...]

It's no secret that Plusnet throttle connections. They are up-front about
it. See:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...tisation.shtml

George

Old April 2nd 08, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 30/03/2008 at 08:40 Alan Beresford B`stard wrote:
You constantly deny it but the
facts are obvious. You throttle customers connections.

As George has mentioned, we don't deny it:

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa....shtml#network
http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...tisation.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...nd/speed.shtml

Sorry you felt you had such a rough ride, it's a little disappointing to
hear we couldn't resolve your issues.

Good luck with your new ISP.

Rgds,

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old April 3rd 08, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

In article [email protected],
says...
On 30/03/2008 at 08:40 Alan Beresford B`stard wrote:
You constantly deny it but the
facts are obvious. You throttle customers connections.

As George has mentioned, we don't deny it:

http://www.plus.net/residential/broa....shtml#network
http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...tisation.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...nd/speed.shtml

Sorry you felt you had such a rough ride, it's a little disappointing to
hear we couldn't resolve your issues.

Good luck with your new ISP.

He'll need it!
--