Pipex network status?

Old March 31st 08, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Default Pipex network status?

Once again I'm getting various problems sending SMTP email via Pipex.
Anyone know what the new URL is to check up-to-the-minute network
status please?

Or is this perhaps a different issue, something to do with a 'BT SMTP
issues' I see mentioned here (which is the site I reached when I
entered http://www.hosting-status.pipex.net/ !

http://www.webfusion-status.co.uk/

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 1st 08, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:29:50 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

Once again I'm getting various problems sending SMTP email via Pipex.
Anyone know what the new URL is to check up-to-the-minute network
status please?

You really want to know the URL for up-to-the-minute network status of
Pipex?

......beep beep beep whirr whirr does not compute, request MAC and exit
immediately

In the dim and very distant past Pipex was a good ISP, but well
before Tiscali took over their system status page became next to
useless.

The only good thing about Pipex is you can (could?) use another SMTP
server, something I really miss with Be.

......beep beep beep request MAC and exit immediately

Old April 2nd 08, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

In the dim and very distant past Pipex was a good ISP, but well
before Tiscali took over their system status page became next to
useless.

I'll second that - it hadn't been updated to reflect real world faults
as far as I could tell for two years prior to me leaving them 12
months ago.
Old April 2nd 08, 02:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
Once again I'm getting various problems sending SMTP email via Pipex.
Anyone know what the new URL is to check up-to-the-minute network
status please?

Or is this perhaps a different issue, something to do with a 'BT SMTP
issues' I see mentioned here (which is the site I reached when I
entered http://www.hosting-status.pipex.net/ !

http://www.webfusion-status.co.uk/

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I found a status page after I logged in, but it did not provide any useful
information. I have had quite a bit of trouble in the past few days.

--
Michael Chare

Old April 2nd 08, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
Once again I'm getting various problems sending SMTP email via Pipex.
Anyone know what the new URL is to check up-to-the-minute network
status please?

Or is this perhaps a different issue, something to do with a 'BT SMTP
issues' I see mentioned here (which is the site I reached when I
entered http://www.hosting-status.pipex.net/ !

http://www.webfusion-status.co.uk/

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I found a status page after I logged in, but it did not provide any useful
information. I have had quite a bit of trouble in the past few days.

--
Michael Chare

Yes, me too since Xmas. So I moved. As per previous poster, I was with
Pipex for years and always happy with them, even though they weren't cheap.
They completely lost it somewhere along the line, and Tiscali aren't
interested.

Get your MAC and go - it's usually relatively painless these days.

Barb.

Old April 3rd 08, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , Barb
writes

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I've been with Pipex for years too and I've been generally pretty happy
with them, apart from the price, I've been paying 23 for 1.5mb, which
is pretty much all my line will cope with. Was going to cancel last
week, rang up for my MAC and they immediately offered me up to 4mb
(which I realise I won't get anywhere near) 40gb per month download
(never had any of the reported problems with throttling, all my torrents
run at as fast as my connection will allow) for 4.99 per month, so I
thought I may as well stick with the devil I know.

Had to agree to a new 12 month contract, but the way I see it, if the
worse comes to the worse a few months down the line, it's not going to
cost *that* much to end it early.
--
Sean Black
Old April 3rd 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barb

"Sean Black" wrote in message
In message , Barb
writes

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Interesting that they came back to you with an improved contract - they
didn't do that with me. I deduce from the groups etc. and from people I
know that a lot of folks are ditching them, and maybe they're starting to
get worried?

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Barb

Old April 3rd 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Sean Black wrote:

I've been paying 23 for 1.5mb

WHY ???????????

Old April 3rd 08, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , Eeyore
writes

Sean Black wrote:

I've been paying 23 for 1.5mb

WHY ???????????

Because I'm an idiot, obviously :-)

I've been with them since home braodband first became available, however
many years ago that was and at the time that was the going rate and I've
never got around to changing it, now I have :-)
--
Sean Black
Old April 3rd 08, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I've been paying 23 for 1.5mb
WHY ???????????

I was paying the same up until 12 months ago and only had a 1Mbit
connection. Again, the service was decent (not heavily contended like
the "up to 8Mbit" offering), and was nice and stable. Then it went to
****.

After I told them I wanted my MAC, I was told how bad the service
would be from Sky on my line, after which they tried to make me an
offer of "up to 8Mbit" on the same line they just said couldn't handle
it.

No, if they're not up-front about giving a reduced price to loyal
customers, they don't deserve to retain their custom.

As for insisting on a new 12 month contract, they need to have a
rethink - i'd been with them for about 4 years, so they'd had a decent
wedge off me. Dropping me to the lower price without the new contract
wouldn't have ****ed me off quite as much , having been shafted at the
higher price for such a long period.