Phone backlight stopping on when using VoIP

Old March 31st 08, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Stottle

Default Phone backlight stopping on when using VoIP

I have a Sipura 2000 connected to a Netgear WGT 624 router, and the dect
phone that is plugged into the Sipura is a Philips SE 4351. The handset
backlight on the phone is supposed to switch off after 20 seconds of no
key pressing or activity, but remains on all the time, therefore
draining the battery very quickly. I tried a second handset and this did
not make any difference, and it is the same on both Sipgate and
Voipfone. In desperation I tried unplugging the phone cable, and the
backlight then switched off automatically as it should, so it appears
that something from the Sipura setup might be triggering the phone
circuitry and keeping the backlight alive. Can anyone suggest a setting
I could try on the Sipura to try and cure this problem? I cannot try the
phone in a normal landline as I am fully VoIP, and switching off the
backlight completely makes the handset hard to read in certain lighting
conditions, so I need the backlight working as it should be. A couple of
hours of Googling has not turned up anything, and I have emailed Philips
about this and am awaiting a reply, but wondered if anyone else has had
a similar problem and how they got around it.

Old March 31st 08, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Harry Stottle" wrote in message
[...]

Many DECT phones automatically go off hook at intervals to see
if there is a voicemail message indicated by stuttered dial-tone.
I suppose it would make sense to illuminate the display for
a short time if a message was detected. I have noticed if there
are two such devices on the same line or Void port they
mutually trip each other and alternately go off hook every
few seconds.
I know this probably doesn't answer your query, I'm just
thinking aloud as it were, do you have a normal UK sounding
dial-tone from your Sipura? could there be anything else outputting
from the FXS port that could be mistaken for CWI like a non-
UK standard CLI?

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old March 31st 08, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Stottle

"Graham." wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Graham, there are not two devices on the same port, just one on
Sipgate, the other on Voipfone, on the two seperate ports of the
Sipura. Just to be sure, I disconnected one and checked the other, but
the problem is still there. I have noticed that the name on the display
blinks sometimes, so this might be the trigger. In the instruction book
it says the backlight goes off after 20 seconds, but I have now timed it
with the phone line disconnected, and it actually goes off after 30
seconds, so if I could find a setting triggering the phone before 30
seconds, and alter that setting to 35 seconds, then all my problems
would be over. ;-)
The dial tone appears to be the normal UK one on both phones, and I even
used the Voipfone automatic installation just to make sure that
everything was set as required.

I have just checked for 30 second timers and in the Regional settings of
the Sipura, I altered 'VMWI Refresh Intvl' from 30 seconds to 37 seconds
and that now seems to have enabled the auto backlight off, the cut off
time is variable between 30 secs and 3 minutes, but better than nothing.
I have no idea what VMWI is though, or why it should help, or if it
could cause other problems, so comments welcome on this please.

Old March 31st 08, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Stottle

"Harry Stottle" wrote in message

I have just checked for 30 second timers and in the Regional settings
of the Sipura, I altered 'VMWI Refresh Intvl' from 30 seconds to 37
seconds and that now seems to have enabled the auto backlight off, the
cut off time is variable between 30 secs and 3 minutes, but better
than nothing. I have no idea what VMWI is though, or why it should
help, or if it could cause other problems, so comments welcome on this
please.

I have now found that VMWI relates to voice mail, and under Line 1 and
Line 2 settings, this can be set from Yes to No to disable it, I have
not tried this yet as I don't want to upset what I have already working,
so this will have to wait till I get bored.

Old April 1st 08, 06:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Harry Stottle" wrote in
message
: "Harry Stottle" wrote
: in message
: ...
:
:
: I have just checked for 30 second timers and in the
: Regional settings of the Sipura, I altered 'VMWI
: Refresh Intvl' from 30 seconds to 37 seconds and that
: now seems to have enabled the auto backlight off, the
: cut off time is variable between 30 secs and 3 minutes,
: but better than nothing. I have no idea what VMWI is
: though, or why it should help, or if it could cause
: other problems, so comments welcome on this please.
:
: I have now found that VMWI relates to voice mail, and
: under Line 1 and Line 2 settings, this can be set from
: Yes to No to disable it, I have not tried this yet as I
: don't want to upset what I have already working, so this
: will have to wait till I get bored.

VMWI = VoiceMail Waiting Indicator

Ivor

Old April 3rd 08, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:56:09 +0000, Harry Stottle wrote:

I have now found that VMWI relates to voice mail, and under Line 1 and
Line 2 settings, this can be set from Yes to No to disable it, I have
not tried this yet as I don't want to upset what I have already working,
so this will have to wait till I get bored.

Voice mail waiting indicator. A way of alerting you that you have a
voicemail. Turning of MWI will not stop your voicemail working.
Alternatively you could listen to or delete the voicemail.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:45:09 up 39 days, 5:38, 3 users, load average: 0.12, 0.12, 0.07
Old April 3rd 08, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Stottle

"alexd" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:56:09 +0000, Harry Stottle wrote:

I have now found that VMWI relates to voice mail, and under Line 1
and
Line 2 settings, this can be set from Yes to No to disable it, I have
not tried this yet as I don't want to upset what I have already
working,
so this will have to wait till I get bored.

Voice mail waiting indicator. A way of alerting you that you have a
voicemail. Turning of MWI will not stop your voicemail working.
Alternatively you could listen to or delete the voicemail.

Thanks for all the replies, the original change, altering VMWI Refresh
Intrvl from 30 secs to 37 secs has done the trick, so after testing it
for a few days with no problems, I have decided to leave it set at that.