A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

ADSL2+ download speed vs line-length



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 1st 08, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 138
Default ADSL2+ download speed vs line-length

For people who're on ADSL2+ now, what kinds of download speeds are you
getting, and if you know how how long the line-length is to the exchange
could you say that as well please?


--
Steve - www.digitalradiotech.co.uk - Digital Radio News & Info

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm


  #2  
Old April 1st 08, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 54
Default ADSL2+ download speed vs line-length

"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
...
For people who're on ADSL2+ now, what kinds of download speeds are you
getting, and if you know how how long the line-length is to the exchange
could you say that as well please?


--
Steve - www.digitalradiotech.co.uk - Digital Radio News & Info

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm


3.7km 3900 down, 1000 up

lot better than 1mb on max


  #3  
Old April 1st 08, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woby Tide
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default ADSL2+ download speed vs line-length

On Apr 1, 9:06*pm, "DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote:
For people who're on ADSL2+ now, what kinds of download speeds are you
getting, and if you know how how long the line-length is to the exchange
could you say that as well please?

--
Steve -www.digitalradiotech.co.uk- Digital Radio News & Info

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm


Attenuation is a better guideline than line length, useful graph of
speeds acheived by Be/O2 ADSL2+ users

http://www.beforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6490
  #4  
Old April 1st 08, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 138
Default ADSL2+ download speed vs line-length

Herman wrote:
"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
...
For people who're on ADSL2+ now, what kinds of download speeds are
you getting, and if you know how how long the line-length is to the
exchange could you say that as well please?


--
Steve - www.digitalradiotech.co.uk - Digital Radio News & Info

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm


3.7km 3900 down, 1000 up

lot better than 1mb on max



Yeah, sounds good for 3.7 km.


--
Steve - www.digitalradiotech.co.uk - Digital Radio News & Info

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm


  #5  
Old April 1st 08, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 138
Default ADSL2+ download speed vs line-length

Woby Tide wrote:
On Apr 1, 9:06 pm, "DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote:
For people who're on ADSL2+ now, what kinds of download speeds are
you
getting, and if you know how how long the line-length is to the
exchange
could you say that as well please?

--
Steve -www.digitalradiotech.co.uk- Digital Radio News & Info

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK
broadcasting:http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm


Attenuation is a better guideline than line length, useful graph of
speeds acheived by Be/O2 ADSL2+ users

http://www.beforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6490



Thanks. Is there any relationship or rule of thumb between attenuation and
line-length?

The thing I'm trying to figure out is whether these percentages are accurate
or whether they're on the low side:

http://blog.ipdev.net/graphics/speeds-for-uk-pop.jpg

That's saying that 55% of the population wouldn't see any improvement in
download speed from using ADSL2+, and only about a quarter would get over 10
Mbps, which sounds pretty poor.


--
Steve - www.digitalradiotech.co.uk - Digital Radio News & Info

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm


  #6  
Old April 1st 08, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jay L. T. Cornwall
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default ADSL2+ download speed vs line-length

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

http://blog.ipdev.net/graphics/speeds-for-uk-pop.jpg

That's saying that 55% of the population wouldn't see any improvement in
download speed from using ADSL2+, and only about a quarter would get over 10
Mbps, which sounds pretty poor.


That's a fantastic waste of time. I find myself agreeing with the
article that picture came from:
http://blog.ipdev.net/page/5/

"We need to level the playing field before we extend the divide further.
Everyone should have access to 2 Mbps before anyone has access to 100 Mbps."

I get a steady 5.3Mbps but I'm still in favour of bringing everyone over
the 2Mbps mark first.

--
Jay L. T. Cornwall
http://www.jcornwall.me.uk/
  #7  
Old April 2nd 08, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 73
Default ADSL2+ download speed vs line-length

On 01/04/2008 22:44, DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

Yeah, sounds good for 3.7 km.


My line is 3.1km, samknows.com predicts ~3Mbps for both ADSL2 and ADSL2+

The line currently gets 2.8Mbps with ADSL2, in the past it has reached
~3.5Mbps

  #8  
Old April 2nd 08, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 138
Default ADSL2+ download speed vs line-length

Jay L. T. Cornwall wrote:
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

http://blog.ipdev.net/graphics/speeds-for-uk-pop.jpg

That's saying that 55% of the population wouldn't see any
improvement in download speed from using ADSL2+, and only about a
quarter would get over 10 Mbps, which sounds pretty poor.


That's a fantastic waste of time.



Do you mean rolling out ADSL2+? BT's enabling ADSL2+ at exchanges at the
same time as exchanges get switched over to the 21CN, so there's no harm in
them doing it.


I find myself agreeing with the
article that picture came from:
http://blog.ipdev.net/page/5/

"We need to level the playing field before we extend the divide
further. Everyone should have access to 2 Mbps before anyone has
access to 100 Mbps."

I get a steady 5.3Mbps but I'm still in favour of bringing everyone
over the 2Mbps mark first.



They should do both really.


--
Steve - www.digitalradiotech.co.uk - Digital Radio News & Info

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm


  #9  
Old April 2nd 08, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 138
Default ADSL2+ download speed vs line-length

Andy Burns wrote:
On 01/04/2008 22:44, DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

Yeah, sounds good for 3.7 km.


My line is 3.1km, samknows.com predicts ~3Mbps for both ADSL2 and
ADSL2+
The line currently gets 2.8Mbps with ADSL2, in the past it has reached
~3.5Mbps



Thanks. What would you say the average line-length would be?


--
Steve - www.digitalradiotech.co.uk - Digital Radio News & Info

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm


  #10  
Old April 2nd 08, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 131
Default ADSL2+ download speed vs line-length

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
Jay L. T. Cornwall wrote:
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

http://blog.ipdev.net/graphics/speeds-for-uk-pop.jpg

That's saying that 55% of the population wouldn't see any
improvement in download speed from using ADSL2+, and only about a
quarter would get over 10 Mbps, which sounds pretty poor.


That's a fantastic waste of time.



Do you mean rolling out ADSL2+? BT's enabling ADSL2+ at exchanges at
the same time as exchanges get switched over to the 21CN, so there's
no harm in them doing it.


BT aren't doing the ADSL2+ and 21CN stuff at the same time. My exchange is
scheduled for ADSL2+ in October this year but 21CN won't happen until 2011.
21CN is an oxymoron, there is nothing 21st century about it.


I find myself agreeing with the
article that picture came from:
http://blog.ipdev.net/page/5/

"We need to level the playing field before we extend the divide
further. Everyone should have access to 2 Mbps before anyone has
access to 100 Mbps."

I get a steady 5.3Mbps but I'm still in favour of bringing everyone
over the 2Mbps mark first.



They should do both really.


I concur. In my case the problem is the special way BT routed the cable.
3km down the main roads to get to the exchange but the cable takes a 7km
route. Assuming there isn't a better route (and how would I find out
anyway?) the best solution would be fibre to the street cab pulled down the
existing ducting.

--

WCZ


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why the big difference between sybc speed and download speed Adam Lipscombe uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 October 11th 06 08:41 PM
Max DSL and line length Terry_P uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 23 March 23rd 06 07:29 PM
line length Chris uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 January 23rd 05 03:42 PM
V. slow download speed, upload speed OK Nick uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 8 July 2nd 04 12:24 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.