Stabilisation so far - advice required - PlusNet

Old April 2nd 08, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

Default Stabilisation so far - advice required - PlusNet

Brief history.

1/ Moved from Pipex 2Mb to Plusnet 8Mb on Wed 26th March (Router connected
at 2.2Mbps)

2/ Requested regrade to 8Mb on the 27th March (Router now connecting at 5
Mbps)

3/ Reported no change in speeds and Plusnet removed a 2Mb cap at their end
on Sat 29th March.

4/ On Mon 31st things started going well, good download speeds.

5/ Things have now backed off again to just over 2Mbps.

6/ The router has only lost a connection a few times (3?) on Sat/Sun/Mon.
Its been pretty stable.

I'm now 5 days or so into the line regrade/stabilisation period. After a bit
of a slow start things were looking good but the last day or so things have
backed off. Should I be happy/worried/just sit tight and wait and see what
happens? I don't want to end up stuck on a slow connection if there is
anything I can do to prevent it. I've put some links to my line stats so you
have a better idea what I mean.

Router line stats

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...-4-08_1635.jpg

Detailed results

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...tory2-4-08.jpg

Graph

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...raph2-4-08.jpg

FWIW PlusNets communications via the help assistant have been very prompt
and helpful so far, I haven't needed to phone about anything yet. I'm not
too clued in with the speed things other than Colin Wilson (Of this parish)
has suggested that with my line stats I should be able to attain good
speeds.

Thanks in advance.

--

JC

Old April 2nd 08, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 02/04/2008 at 17:09 JC wrote:
I'm now 5 days or so into the line regrade/stabilisation period. After a bit
of a slow start things were looking good but the last day or so things have
backed off. Should I be happy/worried/just sit tight and wait and see what
happens? I don't want to end up stuck on a slow connection if there is
anything I can do to prevent it. I've put some links to my line stats so you
have a better idea what I mean.

I could probably put the line reports from BT Wholesale's systems for
you if you have a ticket ID from your account.

Rgds,

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old April 2nd 08, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

I could probably put the line reports from BT Wholesale's systems for you
if you have a ticket ID from your account.

Thanks for the reply Bob. Not sure what you mean by this though. I didn't
want to raise any more questions on my help assistant as I've already raised
a few to get my line regraded to 8Mb and then to get PlusNet to remove the
2Mb limit at their end. Don't want to be seen as a pest!

Are you saying that everything is normal and if I raise a ticket ID you can
show me BT's line reports to back this up?
or
Something is wrong and you need me to raise a ticket ID to get the potential
problem looked at?

What is a ticket ID and how do I raise one? If its the questions asked via
the help assistant then the last one I raised (Which isn't closed yet) was
ID:24586038

My email addy is: jc (at) tullyhubbert9 (dot) plus (dot) com

If I do have a potential problem do you want me to raise another question
via the help assistant?

Thanks again for taking time to reply on here.

--
JC

Old April 2nd 08, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

JC wrote:
"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

I could probably put the line reports from BT Wholesale's systems for you
if you have a ticket ID from your account.

Oops, that should read *pull*, not put.

Thanks for the reply Bob. Not sure what you mean by this though. I didn't
want to raise any more questions on my help assistant as I've already raised
a few to get my line regraded to 8Mb and then to get PlusNet to remove the
2Mb limit at their end. Don't want to be seen as a pest!

Basically BT's systems are capable of altering your download speed based
on the conditions of your line:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...ax_guide.shtml

I wanted to make sure this wasn't what was responsible for your
reduction in speed.

Doesn't look like it is though as you're line's been set to 4Mbps since
it was enabled:

Rate-Downstream | Run Mode | Update Time
4000 Interleaved 28/03/2008 01:47
4000 Fast 27/03/2008 06:05
4000 Fast 27/03/2008 03:37
4000 Fast 27/03/2008 03:36

Are you saying that everything is normal and if I raise a ticket ID you can
show me BT's line reports to back this up?
or
Something is wrong and you need me to raise a ticket ID to get the potential
problem looked at?

At first glance it all looks OK. What results do you get from the
following two speedtests?

http://mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
http://speedtester.bt.com

What is a ticket ID and how do I raise one? If its the questions asked via
the help assistant then the last one I raised (Which isn't closed yet) was
ID:24586038

Sorry for the confusion. A ticket is indeed a Question. That's what we
used to call them and I've never really got out of that habit

Kind Rgds,

Old April 3rd 08, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

At first glance it all looks OK. What results do you get from the
following two speedtests?

Ran some speed tests again Bob, seem to be more or less stuck at 2.2Mbps

http://mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Result:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...y_2_2-4-08.jpg

http://speedtester.bt.com

Can't get this one to work, refuses all forms of login pre test.

Tried another test service, thinkbroadband speed test:
Result:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedt...777718323.html

Thanks for the reply

--
JC

Old April 3rd 08, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

JC wrote:
"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

At first glance it all looks OK. What results do you get from the
following two speedtests?

Ran some speed tests again Bob, seem to be more or less stuck at 2.2Mbps

http://mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Result:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...y_2_2-4-08.jpg

http://speedtester.bt.com

Can't get this one to work, refuses all forms of login pre test.

Persevere with it. Remember the login format will be

Tried another test service, thinkbroadband speed test:
Result:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedt...777718323.html

Lower than what I'd expect on both this and our speedtest TBH. Could be
some nasty exchange contention but I'd hope not. Are your speeds pretty
consistent throughout the day?

You might want to look at making some MTU/RWIN tweaks:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...in_video.shtml

Old April 3rd 08, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

Persevere with it. Remember the login format will be

Tried another test service, thinkbroadband speed test:
Result:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedt...777718323.html

Lower than what I'd expect on both this and our speedtest TBH. Could be
some nasty exchange contention but I'd hope not. Are your speeds pretty
consistent throughout the day?

You might want to look at making some MTU/RWIN tweaks:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...in_video.shtml

Thanks for the reply again Bob, I've just discovered there is a PlusNet
customer feedback group so I'll continue this over there.

--
JC