RJ11 - RJ45 converter

Old April 2nd 08, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

Default RJ11 - RJ45 converter

Hi,

Can anyone please advise where i may get an adapter that will convert
RJ11 to RJ45?

What I need to do is plug an RJ11 connector into a micro filter, and
from the converter run an RJ45 terminated cat 5 cable to my router.

--
Cheers

Peter
Old April 2nd 08, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

PeterT formulated the question :
Hi,

Can anyone please advise where i may get an adapter that will convert
RJ11 to RJ45?

What I need to do is plug an RJ11 connector into a micro filter, and
from the converter run an RJ45 terminated cat 5 cable to my router.

Are you sure?

I would be very interested to see the router in question.

On the of fchance that you're not talking out of your, erm, hat, an
rj11-rjll should work.

That said, rj plugs are a little confusing:

pick up any bog standard telephone & look at the plugs on the curly
cord - they're rj11's. Now look at the plug on the end of the line
cord. Different, but still referred to as an rj11.

The bigger one is the same size as an rj12 (which has 6 pins) but the
bigger rj11 has only 4 pins.

The line cord rj11 will fit into an rj45 socket.

Old April 2nd 08, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

What I need to do is plug an RJ11 connector into a micro filter, and
from the converter run an RJ45 terminated cat 5 cable to my router.

Are you sure?

Is it possible that he has a cable router?
If the poster gives us the make and model number
we can see why it is not a standard RJ11 to RJ11
cable that is needed.
ADSL modem/routers are generally RJ11 to RJ11
from router to filter.
Cable modems may be RJ45 and no filter.
Hence we need a make/model number
with any suffix. A suffix often defines the
precise model.
Old April 3rd 08, 06:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I think to be technically correct....

RJ9 4 pins in 4 housing
RJ11 4 pins in six housing
RJ12 6 pins in 6 housing

?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old April 3rd 08, 07:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Woody laid this down on his screen :
"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

As I said, I'm confused by them!

Ordered some RJ11 the otherday & got "4 housing" when I wanted the "4
pins in six housing"

Old April 3rd 08, 07:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Woody was thinking very hard :
I think to be technically correct....

RJ9 4 pins in 4 housing

"The 4P4C connector, often but incorrectly known as RJ9, is the de
facto industry standard for wired telephone handsets."

RJ11 4 pins in six housing

"An RJ11 is nearly always a 6P4C jack"

RJ12 6 pins in 6 housing

"RJ12C/RJ12W: 6P6C"

Old April 3rd 08, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

What I need to do is plug an RJ11 connector into a micro filter, and
from the converter run an RJ45 terminated cat 5 cable to my router.

Are you sure?

Is it possible that he has a cable router?
If the poster gives us the make and model number
we can see why it is not a standard RJ11 to RJ11
cable that is needed.
ADSL modem/routers are generally RJ11 to RJ11
from router to filter.
Cable modems may be RJ45 and no filter.
Hence we need a make/model number
with any suffix. A suffix often defines the
precise model.

But you wouldn't want to connect a cable modem to a micro-filter (and
hence
ADSL line) anyway!

Which is what we need to establish. The OP may
have just had ADSL installed on his line. Ordered
a modem/router, finds it has a RJ45 ethernet type
line connector, so not realising he has the wrong
type (cable) router is looking for an RJ11 to RJ45
cable, which wouldn't work, because he needs
an ADSL modem/router.
Like I said we need a make/model number.
If he has bought a new modem router then it
should come complete with micro-filter, manual,
and cable to go from the micro-filter to the
modem/router.
Old April 3rd 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterT

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 22:46:45 +0100, PeterT
wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone please advise where i may get an adapter that will convert
RJ11 to RJ45?

What I need to do is plug an RJ11 connector into a micro filter, and
from the converter run an RJ45 terminated cat 5 cable to my router.

Thanks everyone for replying. I now have to own up to having suffered
from brain fade!

I took what I thougyt was a modem from the cupboard, but failed to
spot it was a router only. I have now replaced that and taken a
modem/router from the cupboard and confirm it has an RJ11 connection
for the DSL line - sorted.

--
Cheers

Peter
Old April 4th 08, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 23:32:48 +0100, Jono
wrote:

[...]

The plug on the end of a phones line cord is an RJ11??? You mean
the one that plugs in to the phone socket on the wall?? Thats
nothing like an RJ11... How do you figure out they are the same
?..It's flat for a start and nothing like the same shape .