Anybody know how I'd get wireless security cameras on the net?

Old April 3rd 08, 02:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Butch61

Default Anybody know how I'd get wireless security cameras on the net?

I put 2 Linksys cameras in my home.
They wirelessly connect to my router with their own ip address.

I need to know how to see them in a web browser from a remote
location.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Butch
Old April 3rd 08, 03:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Butch61

snip
You need to set up port forwarding on the router, so that e.g. port
10080 is forwarded to port 80 on one camera and port 11080 is forwarded
to port 80 on the other. Then connect by specifying the non-standard
port in the URL e.g.http://111.222.333.444:10080

Great answer!
Unfortunately some of that is beyond my current experience.
Is there a website you could direct me to that could educate me so I
don't waste your time?
Or will a general google search teach me somewhere along the way.

Thanks for your quick response.
Butch
Old April 3rd 08, 03:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article b1b0462c-1532-47c8-b268-8f24f05f4bd7
@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com, Butch61
says...
snip
You need to set up port forwarding on the router, so that e.g. port
10080 is forwarded to port 80 on one camera and port 11080 is forwarded
to port 80 on the other. Then connect by specifying the non-standard
port in the URL e.g.
http://111.222.333.444:10080

Great answer!
Unfortunately some of that is beyond my current experience.
Is there a website you could direct me to that could educate me so I
don't waste your time?

Not that I'm aware of.

Or will a general google search teach me somewhere along the way.

Probably. :-)

The procedure for setting up port forwarding will be in the router
manual - they might call it something like "virtual servers". Other
than that you just need to manually assign IP addresses to the cameras,
rather than letting DHCP do it randomly. There may be a setting in the
router that automatically assigns a fixed address to each camera when it
makes a DHCP request, based on MAC address, otherwise you'll need to set
the address in the camera itself.
What router is it?
Old April 3rd 08, 03:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Butch61

snip

The procedure for setting up port forwarding will be in the router
manual - they might call it something like "virtual servers". Other
than that you just need to manually assign IP addresses to the cameras,
rather than letting DHCP do it randomly. There may be a setting in the
router that automatically assigns a fixed address to each camera when it
makes a DHCP request, based on MAC address, otherwise you'll need to set
the address in the camera itself.
What router is it?

Hey Thanks again Rob.

It's a Linksys.
Not sure what model. Not at home right now.
I did assign separate static ip addresses to each camera.
How do I know what the "non-standard" ip address is?
I think I can figure out/research the port forwarding.

Old April 3rd 08, 04:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Butch61

snip

so to connect to port 10080 you
need to use the formathttp://my.domain.net:10080- the router then
knows to forward the connection to camera 1 port 80.

So are you saying that this needs to be part of a bona-fide website
with it's own domain and url?
That's the way I understand it.
If so, I don't understand how the website, that exists on a server
away from this particular pc, would know how to point to that given
pc.
Did that make sense?

Thanks again.

Old April 3rd 08, 05:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article df72f755-f979-44cf-92ec-554b0556c269
@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com, Butch61
says...
snip

so to connect to port 10080 you
need to use the formathttp://my.domain.net:10080- the router then
knows to forward the connection to camera 1 port 80.

So are you saying that this needs to be part of a bona-fide website
with it's own domain and url?
That's the way I understand it.

You need to know the public IP address of the router - if you have a
dynamic address assigned by your ISP you might want to use a service
like
http://www.no-ip.com/services/manage...namic_dns.html to
keep track of it and provide a memorable URL. If like mine your ISP
rarely (if ever) changes your IP address then you can connect using the
dotted decimal numeric address - you can find this in your router status
info (in mine it's Config - Interface - Ethernet - WAN - Status - Ip
Address).

If so, I don't understand how the website, that exists on a server
away from this particular pc, would know how to point to that given
pc.
Did that make sense?

If you have a website then you could use it to host a page that links to
the cameras, possibly using a dynamic DNS service as above. Otherwise
you can connect to the cameras just as you do on your LAN - the web
server is the camera itself. The intervening stuff is just to get
around the facts that the cameras have private IP addresses that can't
be accessed from the internet, and you only have one public IP address
available to access both cameras and the router.
Old April 3rd 08, 07:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Butch61

snip

Thanks a whole bunch!
I'll try this out tomorrow!
Old April 3rd 08, 11:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

In article f09b3537-a785-4a1b-945d-
,
says...
I put 2 Linksys cameras in my home.
They wirelessly connect to my router with their own ip address.

I need to know how to see them in a web browser from a remote
location.

Any ideas?

Port-forwarding. Read up on it.
--