Betamax directly from ATA on cable - IP considerations

Old April 7th 08, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default Betamax directly from ATA on cable - IP considerations

I use Justvoip via Voxalot so Ithere is no problem with the IP staying
the same in order to qualify for the inclusive 'free minutes'.
I am about to set up an SPA-3102 for a relative who intends to retain
his cable telephone line as a back up and to use mostly for incoming
calls. It would seem logical that the minimum links in the voip chain
would yield the best reliability - i.e. to use justvoip directly from
the ATA instead of via voxalot.
There is the static IP problem to consider. I am fairly sure that my
IP has remained constant for some considerable time despite dropping
off line on many occasions. Indeed it may always have been the same
IP.
1. Has anyone used a Betamax voip service via cable (Telewest area)
directly from their ATA and has this proved to be a reliable set up
from the IP viewpoint?

2. If it proves necessary to change the IP how does this square with
the IP requirements of Betamax? i.e. How is it possible to switch IP
and retain the inclusive 'free' calls?

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old April 7th 08, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Brian A" wrote in message
[...]

OK I will stick my neck out and pretend I know what I am
talking about, no doubt someone will correct me if I've got
it wrong.
The very fact that Voxalot presents the same IP to Betamax
is a reason for it *not* working, ie. you should be charged
for all "free" calls because your usage is added to all the other
Betamax users' usage and the 300 min is bound to be exceeded.

The reason why this doesn't happen, is because Betamax
have an agreement with Voxalot and they don't penalise
users for using Voxalot.

This is not the case with Mysipswitch (more's the pity)

I would say that most Betamax users use log on
directly to their account with a dynamic IP and
suffer no consequences. I suppose in theory if you
got an IP that was recently assigned to another
Betamax customer you might be hit by their FUP,
I have wondered about this myself.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old April 7th 08, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Brian A wrote on 07/04/2008 :
[...]

Ern, you're better off with a dynamic IP as you can make 300 minutes
for each you have.......