Linksys pap2 lights continually flashing?

Old April 7th 08, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Lewis

Default Linksys pap2 lights continually flashing?

I recently purchased a linksys pap2 voip adapter from ebay. The adapter
worked fine for a day but now there seems to be a problem. The power light
flashes red and the two line lights flash blue.
I cannot access the adapter through the http panel and there is no dial tone
through the phone line.
Any ideas please?

Old April 7th 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Chris Lewis expressed precisely :
I recently purchased a linksys pap2 voip adapter from ebay. The adapter
worked fine for a day but now there seems to be a problem. The power light
flashes red and the two line lights flash blue.
I cannot access the adapter through the http panel and there is no dial tone
through the phone line.
Any ideas please?

What happened when you power cycled it?

Even though you have no dialtone, does dialing **** yield the IVR?

Old April 7th 08, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Lewis

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Chris Lewis expressed precisely :
I recently purchased a linksys pap2 voip adapter from ebay. The adapter
worked fine for a day but now there seems to be a problem. The power
light flashes red and the two line lights flash blue.
I cannot access the adapter through the http panel and there is no dial
tone through the phone line.
Any ideas please?

What happened when you power cycled it?

Even though you have no dialtone, does dialing **** yield the IVR?

I have tried re-powering but it's the same, lights still flashing. No
response with the ****, line is dead!

Old April 8th 08, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Mills

Chris Lewis [email protected] wrote:

I recently purchased a linksys pap2 voip adapter from ebay. The
adapter worked fine for a day but now there seems to be a problem.
The power light flashes red and the two line lights flash blue.
I cannot access the adapter through the http panel and there is no
dial tone through the phone line.
Any ideas please?

The PAP2 should have come with a user guide on CD. Did it? If not, you may
be able to download one from the Linksys website.

FWIW, my manual says:
"The Power LED remains solid green when the Phone Adapter is powered on and
ready. It
flashes when the Phone Adapter is booting up, undergoing a self-test, or
performing a
firmware upgrade. If the LED lights up red, the Phone Adapter has failed its
self-test or is
malfunctioning. Refer to “Appendix A: Troubleshooting” for more
information."
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 8th 08, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

My guess is that you've bought a PAP2 that was originally locked to
a VoIP provider. Someone has "unlocked it" and then sold it on.
However, for whatever reason, the PAP2 has been reset and at that
point gone to the original providers website to download the latest
firmware. It is more than probable you now have a PAP2 /BRICK.

Old April 8th 08, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Lewis

"Nick" wrote in message
news

[...]

That's interesting it was an unlocked model from ebay. I contacted the
seller from Hong Kong and was informed to return the adapter for a
replacement. So if your theory is right the replacement will end up in the
same way? It's the first time I have heard of this problem for unlocked
adapters. Is there a way to prevent this from happening again?

Old April 8th 08, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Mills

Chris Lewis [email protected] wrote:

It's the first time I have heard of this problem
for unlocked adapters. Is there a way to prevent this from happening
again?

Yes - buy one that's never been locked to a VoIP provider, from a reputable
supplier such as broadbandbuyer.co.uk
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 13th 08, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick²

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Chris Lewis [email protected] wrote:

It's the first time I have heard of this problem
for unlocked adapters. Is there a way to prevent this from happening
again?

Yes - buy one that's never been locked to a VoIP provider, from a

reputable
supplier such as broadbandbuyer.co.uk
--
Cheers,