Sky query

Old April 8th 08, 07:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Sky query

My daughter is about to move into an apartment complex where the
communal TV system is not yet upgraded to handle DTTV.

Her apartment has a balcony but is the wrong direction to be able to get
direct DTTV from the serving Tx site. The balcony does however have a
clear sight for Sky, so she is going that route.

She is going to opt for a Sky self-build offer that gives her three TV
packages, phone, and 16Mb broadband for 26 a month. The serving
exchange is 1Km away (linear) so probably not much more than a mile of
cable. As the build is only six years old I would hold hope that she may
get a good speed. (8Mb would suffice but the 40Gb cap could be a problem
as she will be working about 40% at home.)

Does anyone have experience - good or bad - of Sky broadband in terms of
speed, reliability etc? Also from a telephone aspect is their service
good and is there a by-pass code (e.g. 1280) to allow her to force a few
calls a month via BT so that she qualifies for Home Privacy? The serving
exchange has LLU.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old April 8th 08, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

Woody wrote:
My daughter is about to move into an apartment complex where the
communal TV system is not yet upgraded to handle DTTV.

Her apartment has a balcony but is the wrong direction to be able to
get direct DTTV from the serving Tx site. The balcony does however
have a clear sight for Sky, so she is going that route.

She is going to opt for a Sky self-build offer that gives her three TV
packages, phone, and 16Mb broadband for 26 a month. The serving
exchange is 1Km away (linear) so probably not much more than a mile of
cable. As the build is only six years old I would hold hope that she
may get a good speed. (8Mb would suffice but the 40Gb cap could be a
problem as she will be working about 40% at home.)

Working from home; unless she is spending her time uploading/downloading
video, very large data files, or continuously streaming audio/video, then
40Gb is vast.

We have two people working from our home. The online work is; searching
databases, downloading text and PDF results, email (with attachments). In
addition, Microsoft service patches, antivirus updates, etc. We make no
attempt to moderate our use. Monthly download from those activities
averages around 3.5Gb.

( no comment on Sky ).

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old April 8th 08, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Woody wrote:
(8Mb would suffice but the 40Gb cap could be a problem as she will be
working about 40% at home.)

I work from home at least two days a week (I'm an IT consultant by
trade), doing almost all of my work either online, or "very" connected.
I get nowhere near my 30GB (peak) limit.

Does anyone have experience - good or bad - of Sky broadband in terms of
speed, reliability etc? Also from a telephone aspect is their service
good and is there a by-pass code (e.g. 1280) to allow her to force a few
calls a month via BT so that she qualifies for Home Privacy? The serving
exchange has LLU.

If you're going for the 16Mb package from Sky then it will be presented
as ADSL2 on an LLU line. Therefore there will be no BT line involved
and there will be no 1280, etc., with which you can route calls. Sky's
telephone pricing and features is what you will get. Period.

Chris
Old April 8th 08, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

Woody wrote:
[...]

No problems with broadband, though I have the 2Mb version due to line
characteristics :-(

I use 1280 to maintain the privacy/caller display facility, again no
problems. I have just reverted back to BT for calls, however, as they
are cheaper on the *basic* 'phone service if you are prepared to sign up
to a 12 month contract. From the weekend, BT are far cheaper for
0845/0870 (up to 4p/min) and don't forget that BT friends/family can
give lower cost calls to mobiles than the basic Skytalk :-)

--
PeeGee

The reply address is a spam trap. All mail is reported as spam.
to be removed from a computer easily."
Old April 8th 08, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Woody wrote:
[...]

She needs to check the terms of her lease or tenancy agreement becuase it
almost certainly prohibits her having a dish.

Peter Crosland

Old April 8th 08, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

Chris Davies wrote:
Woody wrote:
[...]

What has ADSL2/LLU to do with voice? I have 2Mb LLU service and use 1280
every month. However, it may be that switching line *rental* payments to
Sky suppresses 1280 - I doubt that it can be suppressed with BT line
rental (but I may be wrong).

Old April 8th 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"Woody" wrote in message
My daughter is about to move into an apartment complex where the communal
TV system is not yet upgraded to handle DTTV.

Her apartment has a balcony but is the wrong direction to be able to get
direct DTTV from the serving Tx site. The balcony does however have a
clear sight for Sky, so she is going that route.

You / she might want to check that she's allowed to put a dish up on the
balcony.

She is going to opt for a Sky self-build offer that gives her three TV
packages, phone, and 16Mb broadband for 26 a month. The serving exchange
is 1Km away (linear) so probably not much more than a mile of cable. As
the build is only six years old I would hold hope that she may get a good
speed. (8Mb would suffice but the 40Gb cap could be a problem as she will
be working about 40% at home.)

Does anyone have experience - good or bad - of Sky broadband in terms of
speed, reliability etc? Also from a telephone aspect is their service good
and is there a by-pass code (e.g. 1280) to allow her to force a few calls
a month via BT so that she qualifies for Home Privacy? The serving
exchange has LLU.

I have an office here at home in a converted out building. Aside from
myself, there are normally two employees and sometimes a third based here.
We very rarely go over 10GB a month. So, your daughter should be absolutely
fine .. unless she's going to be tranfering huge files, or remote backups
etc...

Old April 8th 08, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Woody wrote:
[...]

Not specified but other habitants have Sky dishes and there seems to
have been no objection. The block is owned by Ing so they are probably
fairly remote anyway.