OT Free On-line storage

Old April 9th 08, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invisible Man

Default OT Free On-line storage

Don't know where to post this one. Open to suggestions.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to store images and a little personal
data. Probably no more that 1 or 2GB.

Tried Sky store and save but things won't upload and I do not have too
much faith in Sky anyway.

I back up to an external hard drive regularly but would prefer to have a
back up off-site just in case the house burns down.

TIA
Old April 9th 08, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Don't know where to post this one. Open to suggestions.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to store images and a little personal data.
Probably no more that 1 or 2GB.

Tried Sky store and save but things won't upload and I do not have too
much faith in Sky anyway.

I back up to an external hard drive regularly but would prefer to have a
back up off-site just in case the house burns down.

TIA

Get a writable DVD drive. Each DVD stores about 4-7GB (single or double
layer) and then take them to work and leave them in a drawer or locker.

Paul DS

Old April 9th 08, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invisible Man

Jezz wrote:
PC World have a CD which gives 1GB of free online storage.

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Don't know where to post this one. Open to suggestions.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to store images and a little personal
data. Probably no more that 1 or 2GB.

Tried Sky store and save but things won't upload and I do not have too
much faith in Sky anyway.

I back up to an external hard drive regularly but would prefer to have a
back up off-site just in case the house burns down.

TIA

Get a writable DVD drive. Each DVD stores about 4-7GB (single or double
layer) and then take them to work and leave them in a drawer or locker.

Paul DS

Sorry.

My original post obviously wasn't very clear.

What I am interested in is some free on-line storage. There are a few
entities that do it but I wondered whether anyone had any experience of
their reliability and ease of use etc.
Old April 9th 08, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I back up to an external hard drive regularly but would prefer to have a
back up off-site just in case the house burns down.

Use two external drives in rotation (the general recommmendation
is to use three) and store one remotely. That way you can have,
two full backups, one local one remote, and the third is a full and
daily or weekly incremental backup. It's a good idea to have
two PC drives one for the operating system, one for data.
The operating system one needs an occasional full backup,
when major changes are made like adding the full Adobe CS3,
MS Visual Studio, or whatever.
The data one is the one that needs incremental backup
to keep the backed up data up to date.
For the operating system backup, I use Acronis True Image
11, but Ghost is an alternative, you also need to make or
have a bootable restore disk, or CDROM. then when you
HD gives the "click of death" you replace it, restore the
OS, defrag, and you are back in business.
For incremental data backup I use Fileback PC, because
you don't produce many incremetal files, it's a copy or add
newer. If you don't opt for compression you can
use them as you did the originals, Word docs still open,
jpgs open as jpg's, etc.
So I have on each backup drive, folders
C-image
D-image
you could add PC2-C-image, PC2-D-image
folders.
It is ESSENTIAL to test restore.
ADSL backup seems far too slow for 10's of
gigs of data, a near full 250GB drive takes
ages for a local backup, being limited
by its SATA300 spec. Data can't be
moved, no matter how fast the system, than
the underlying drives, raid may help a bit
by striping, but mechanical drives still
set the limit.
Old April 9th 08, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Don't know where to post this one. Open to suggestions.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to store images and a little personal data.
Probably no more that 1 or 2GB.

Tried Sky store and save but things won't upload and I do not have too
much faith in Sky anyway.

I back up to an external hard drive regularly but would prefer to have a
back up off-site just in case the house burns down.

TIA

One thing to be aware of if using Windoze systems. The Event Log (part of
Administrators' tools) can show a "bad block" error as a hint that your hard
drive is on its last legs. However there is NO popup etc to warn you!
Check your event log regularly!

Also, your hard drive slowing down may be a symptom of bad blocks as the OS
is working around the problem as best it can.

Paul DS.

Old April 9th 08, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Don't know where to post this one. Open to suggestions.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to store images and a little personal data.
Probably no more that 1 or 2GB.

Tried Sky store and save but things won't upload and I do not have too
much faith in Sky anyway.

I back up to an external hard drive regularly but would prefer to have a
back up off-site just in case the house burns down.

TIA

I don't think anyone's listening.
;-)

In answer to your question, have a look at Google Docs
Disclaimer - I haven't tried it yet.

George

Old April 9th 08, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invisible Man

Invisible Man wrote:
George Weston wrote:
"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Don't know where to post this one. Open to suggestions.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to store images and a little personal
data. Probably no more that 1 or 2GB.

Tried Sky store and save but things won't upload and I do not have
too much faith in Sky anyway.

I back up to an external hard drive regularly but would prefer to
have a back up off-site just in case the house burns down.

TIA

I don't think anyone's listening.
;-)

In answer to your question, have a look at Google Docs
Disclaimer - I haven't tried it yet.

George

Thanks George.

..........but it looks like you can only upload specific file types. Not
images or a backup of my email and calendar files.
Old April 9th 08, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote:
[...]

Ghost, despite what some people say about Norton products, works extremely
well.

I have two external NAS drives, one in the room with the PC and one
outside in the garage, connected via CAT5. The system is set to do a
complete full backup every day, to alternate drives. It does it at some
silly time like 5am as I'm never up that early (!)

I don't bother with incremental backups, it's too much hassle when you
come to restore things, easier to just restore the last complete ghost
image.

Ivor