Recording and editing Internet radio

Old April 9th 08, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

Default Recording and editing Internet radio

Can anyone recommend any preferably free PC software for recording Internet
radio stations and including facilities for editing the recordings.

--
Michael Chare

Old April 9th 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Michael Chare wrote:

Can anyone recommend any preferably free PC software for recording
Internet radio stations and including facilities for editing the
recordings.

I've just done an experiment with Wavepad which worked ok. If you set it up
to record from the C-Media Wave Device, it will record whatever sound the
wave device is making - including streaming audio from the internet. You can
then perform various effects on it (amplify, normalise, filter, delete
selected passages, etc.) and then save the resulting file in a variety of
formats including wav, mp3, ogg, etc.

Is that the sort of thing you want to do?

I'm pretty sure Wavepad is free - I wouldn't have it, otherwise! g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 9th 08, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Michael Chare wrote:
Can anyone recommend any preferably free PC software for recording Internet
radio stations and including facilities for editing the recordings.

mplayer and audacity would probably work.
Chris
Old April 10th 08, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy W.

Michael Chare wrote:
Can anyone recommend any preferably free PC software for recording
Internet radio stations and including facilities for editing the
recordings.

What do you mean by edit the recordings?

If it's just the album/track name Screamer radio will do it for you.

http://www.screamer-radio.com/

--
Continuum - Meet people from all over the world... then kill them.

Free online multiplayer action game http://www.getcontinuum.com/

Old April 10th 08, 01:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

Michael Chare wrote:
Can anyone recommend any preferably free PC software for recording
Internet radio stations and including facilities for editing the
recordings.

There's streamripper that you use with Winamp. It doesn't do editing, but
you can edit MP3 using mp3DirectCut. You're screwed if you want to cut up
most/all other compressed audio formats, unless you decode to WAV, edit the
WAV then re-compress, but the recompression degrades the audio quality.

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Old April 10th 08, 02:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Andy W." wrote in message ...
Michael Chare wrote:
Can anyone recommend any preferably free PC software for recording
Internet radio stations and including facilities for editing the
recordings.

What do you mean by edit the recordings?

Cut out any parts that I don't want and perhaps assemble the tunes into
albums.

--
Michael Chare

Old April 10th 08, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend any preferably free PC software for recording
Internet radio stations and including facilities for editing the
recordings.

--
Michael Chare

TotalRecorder is not free but it works well for me grabbing stuff "off the
web". With the LAME MP3 library it will also re-encode to MP3 on-the-fly if
you like. I've not tried the others so I can't compare but you can get a "5
minute save only" trial of TotalRecorder and compare it against the other
suggestions.

After that, any MP3 editing software will do. For example I use "Audiobook
Cutter" to split my MP3s into 5 minute chunks becausemy cheap-n-nasty MP3
player doesn't do "scan forward" very well and I often accidentally go back
to the "start of the track".

Paul DS.

Old April 10th 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Andy W. wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:

Can anyone recommend any preferably free PC software for recording
Internet radio stations and including facilities for editing the
recordings.

What do you mean by edit the recordings?

If it's just the album/track name Screamer radio will do it for you.

http://www.screamer-radio.com/

Audacity to record and edit(makes WAV files natively) + free add-on MP3
encoder (cos of licence) to encode.
Audacity can record the stereo mix within the PC or line/mic in etc.
You can set sample rate etc if you want to make lower quality copies.
It has of course been to analogue and back again though - doubt that
degrades quality much more though.

Mike