Anyone on Plusnet's trial of ADSL Max Premium?

Old April 10th 08, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Default Anyone on Plusnet's trial of ADSL Max Premium?

I requested the 3 month free trial, and it was very quickly (2 days)
enabled on my line, the router immediately synced at 832Kbps upstream
ATM rate instead of 448Kbps which it previously got on ADSL Max
"non-premium"

Line Mode: G.DMT Mode
Data Path: Interleaved

Transceiver Information Down Up
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2880 832
Margin (dB) 6.5 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 55.5 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.8 11.0

However, the upstream IP rate does not seem any different (as measured
by mybroadbandspeed.co.uk and speedtester.bt.com) as though the BRAS
profile is still capping for the old upstream ATM rate, I've logged a
support question, but after 3 times of them saying "disconnect router,
wait three days, see what happens" I feel that's going nowhere.

Question #24615259 if you're listening Bob ;-)

For months my line has hovered between 2272 and 2880 speeds, so it
regularly has its BRAS profile swapped between 2Mbps and 2.5Mbps

Anyone else on the trial? Any better result? Hint: nobody is going to
pay an additional £8/month extra unless the bandwidth is usable.

Old April 11th 08, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Andy Burns wrote:
Question #24615259 if you're listening Bob ;-)

Still having problems Andy?

I've checked your account and can see nothing that would restrict your
throughput on our systems.

What's the upload speed reported as here?

http://mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Let me know if you're still having difficulties and I'll look into
things the next time I'm in here.

--
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old April 11th 08, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 11/04/2008 16:18, PlusNet Support Team wrote

Still having problems Andy?

Yes, still doesn't seem to be achieving any better upload,
ATM rate still at 832

http://mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

My last few day's results

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/581449.png
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/571309.png
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/569860.png

Let me know if you're still having difficulties and I'll look into
things the next time I'm in here.

Thanks
Old April 12th 08, 03:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Bob Pullen:

What's the upload speed reported as here?

mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Why on earth have you changed to FLASH based speed test, just to get 'fancy
graphic speedometer' ?

I won't let FLASH anywhere near my computer, stops lots of FLASHING and VERY
ANNOYING adverts !
Yours un-impressed,
Martin

Old April 12th 08, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

In message [email protected]
at 02:16:29 on Sat, 12 Apr 2008, Martin² wrote
Bob Pullen:

What's the upload speed reported as here?

mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Why on earth have you changed to FLASH based speed test, just to get 'fancy
graphic speedometer' ?

It looks identical to the one they asked viewers of the Gadget Show to
use, but on a different URL
--
Mike News
Old April 12th 08, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 12/04/2008 10:14, Mike wrote:

Martin² wrote

Bob Pullen wrote:

mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Why on earth have you changed to FLASH based speed test, just to get
'fancy graphic speedometer' ?

It looks identical to the one they asked viewers of the Gadget Show to
use, but on a different URL

It's a badged version of this
http://www.ookla.com/products.php

Old May 17th 08, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote:

Question #24615259 if you're listening Bob ;-)

Let me know if you're still having difficulties and I'll look into
things the next time I'm in here.

Despite my uplink always being 832Kbps with MaxPremium, I've still never
had any upload faster[1] than when I only had a uplink of 448Kbps with
Max, I gave up trying to convince the support staff via "My Questions"
that something must be wrong :-(

[1] Even to one of our own servers located in a datacentre with ethernet
link from a transit provider who peers directly with PlusNet.
Old May 19th 08, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Andy Burns wrote:

Question #24615259 if you're listening Bob ;-)

Let me know if you're still having difficulties and I'll look into
things the next time I'm in here.

Despite my uplink always being 832Kbps with MaxPremium, I've still never
had any upload faster[1] than when I only had a uplink of 448Kbps with
Max, I gave up trying to convince the support staff via "My Questions"
that something must be wrong :-(

What are your router stats? (Upstream SNR/Attenuation etc.)

I'm on max premium and there have been times when my upstream has
halved. AFAIK, it's rate adaptive in the same fashion that your
downstream speed is.

Having said that, BT's systems are reporting your upstream speed as
832kbps so I see little reason why you wouldn't get this kind of throughput.

What kind of results are you getting from http://mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Old May 19th 08, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 19/05/2008 13:38, PlusNet Support Team wrote:

What are your router stats? (Upstream SNR/Attenuation etc.)

DOWN UP
DSL Speed (Kbps) 2688 832
Margin (dB) 10.0 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 56.0 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.8 11.0

I'm on max premium and there have been times when my upstream has
halved. AFAIK, it's rate adaptive in the same fashion that your
downstream speed is.

My downstream link speed varies by +/- 200Kbps whenever it reconnects,
my upstream always used to be 448Kbps when I was on Max and is always
832Kbps now that I'm on MaxPremium, unfortuantely it appears that
"something" is throttling my uplink speed so I cannot use all the
bandwidth available

Having said that, BT's systems are reporting your upstream speed as
832kbps so I see little reason why you wouldn't get this kind of
throughput.

What kind of results are you getting from http://mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Down 1.897Mbps (237kB/s)
Up 342kbps (42.8kB/s)

Which is is very typical of the range of speeds I get.

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/00800714.png

Thanks for looking again. Since you're also on premium, out of interest
what sort of numbers do you get?

I've got my hands on a cisco 837 ADSL router which I will give a try,
just to see if it could be my router causing the problem.
Old May 20th 08, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 19/05/2008 14:05, Andy Burns wrote:

I've got my hands on a cisco 837 ADSL router which I will give a try,
just to see if it could be my router causing the problem.

Well, well, well ... similar connection speeds, but much better throughput!

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/00807796.png

1.898Mbps (237kB/s) DOWN
710kbps (88.8kB/s) UP

I wonder if it can "hang on" to sync without daily re-connects like the
other router...

cisco837#sh dsl int atm0

ATU-R (DS) ATU-C (US)
Modem Status: Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)
DSL Mode: ANSI T1.413
ANSI Issue/rev: 2/1 2/1
Vendor ID: 0x0022 0x0022
Capacity Used: 98% 97%