I had 3.5MB broadband - now nothing!

Old April 10th 08, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default I had 3.5MB broadband - now nothing!

My telephone exchange went down for 1 day over a week ago. When it
came back up I got my telephone line back but no broadband. I went
through the usual checks in my home and on my 2 computers, everything
ok. After various frustrating calls to both BT and my ISP (tesco.net)
I finally got someone to beleive that it is the exchange that is at
fault and it no longer seems to support broadband.

I went to various speed checkers online (at work) to test my number
and they all either said the line doesn't support broadband or I will
get a speed less than 512kb. Before my line was registering over 3MB!

My ISP have sent a request to BT to look at the exchange as they
thought it was strange as well. I'm still waiting to hear back.

Does anyone know what the cause of this may be and what chances do I
have of getting my broadband back?

(I have written a compaint to BT as I rely on broadband at home to
work and I have lost nearly 2 weeks!)
Old April 10th 08, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

" wrote in message
[...]

What's your telephone exchange name/location/area code?

George

Old April 10th 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Telephone exchange is Ayr (Scotland) code 01292, used to register
speed up to 3.5MB on BT checker, sam knows, sky and I used to get
around 1.8 - 2MB speed on my connection. I used to check it quite
regularly.

Old April 10th 08, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

My exchange code is WSAYR
Old April 10th 08, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

" wrote in message
My exchange code is WSAYR

Should be OK - see:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WSAYR
OK for ADSL, ADSL Max and SDSL
Also OK for LLU from Sky and Talk Talk

George

Old April 10th 08, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks

I checked samknows already, checking my number on it says I 'may' get
0.5mb on the line but in brackets says (engineer visit may be
required). Samknows used to say 3.5mb up until 31st march this year,
day the exchange went down. I can't get broadband at all at any speed.

BT's checker says "the line won't support braodband".

I'm trying to get an explanation from BT and my ISP has sent a request
to them to check it!

Old April 10th 08, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasper

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 07:29:55 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

Thanks

I checked samknows already, checking my number on it says I 'may' get
0.5mb on the line but in brackets says (engineer visit may be
required). Samknows used to say 3.5mb up until 31st march this year,
day the exchange went down. I can't get broadband at all at any speed.

BT's checker says "the line won't support braodband".

I'm trying to get an explanation from BT and my ISP has sent a request
to them to check it!

If you already have broadband on your line, checking it against
availability checkers will give false readings. The result "the line
won't support broadband" can be generated by already having broadband
active on the line !

Jasper
Old April 11th 08, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I'm trying to get an explanation from BT and my ISP has sent a request
to them to check it!

There are many ADSL line test sets, a representative example is at
http://www.exfo.com/en/Products/Products.aspx?Id=369
just get them to put one on your line and stop faffing around.
A line is just a pair of copper wires, with resistance,
capacitance and inductance, each of which is measurable,
it passes audio frequencies, how well ir carries them,
(which is it's frequency response) is measurable.
There are CCITT specs, which it can be characterised
against.
Openreach and ISP's just keep passing the buck
and give you the runaround, instead of actually
measuring anything.
Old April 11th 08, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Openreach and ISP's just keep passing the buck
and give you the runaround, instead of actually
measuring anything.

Too right they do!!

I've emailed my ISP to check up on progress. Just checked samknows
today as well. Checking by my phone number I still get the same
results as befo

can't get 2mb
can't get 1mb
may get 512 (engineer visit likely)
may get 256 (engineer visit likely)

but checking by my house number and postcode gives:

can't get 2mb
may get 1mb
can get 512
can get 256

which is an improvement from last week.

What one to beleive though, I'm not at home so can't check right now.