new wireless setup on WinME

Old April 11th 08, 11:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Only Me

Default new wireless setup on WinME

Hi

I would appreciate any help on this.

I have finally decided to go wireless and have been trying to hook up my two laptops with a Plexus Wireless 54Mbps ADSL2+ Router and its corresponding USB adapter/dongle thingy.

Everything works just fine with my XP laptop.

The problem starts when I try to install the USB Adaptor Controller and Driver Setup.exe on the ME machine. I can't (details below). The router and adapter claim to work with ME. I CAN install the dongle's drivers from Windows. After doing so, Windows shows the dongle as working OK. I just cant get it to do anything (i.e. talk to the router or internet).

My next fallback position is to ditch the dongle and connect the ME machine to the router via USB. I get the same installation error when running the setup.exe for the router controller and drivers, but, again, I can install the drivers for the router via Windows OK. Now if I connect the ME machine to the router via the USB I can ping ips on the internet. I can ping my isp's DNS server. But I cant get a browser to connect to the www. This might just be me being stupid. Previously I have been using a broadband modem and used Dial Up Networking to launch an internet connection when any app on the machine wants a WAN connection. This method doesnt work with the new Wireless router (DUN setup doesnt see it as a modem). On the XP machine, I dont have to do anything to launch a connection, I just connect the PC to the router (via wireless dongle or USB cable) and the www is right there. Mind you, the router and dongle installations did all complete fully on that machine.

Any idea on how I can (a) launch an internet session without using DUN (ME)? (b) get around the installation.exe error (below) ?

much appreciated

cheers

nic

Notes:

On launching the "setup.exe" for the dongle (and also the router) I get the Windows error ""The DEVCON.EXE file is linked to missing export SETUPAPI.DLL:CM_Free_Log_Conf_Handle" and the machine needs a hard reboot.

Googling similar error messages seems to suggest either:

(1) it's a corrupted SETUPAPI.DLL on my machine
http://www.techsupportforum.com/micr...win-98-me-supp ort/62254-setupapi-dll-problems.html

or

(2) the DEVCON.EXE file just aint intended to work on ME
http://www.siginetsoftware.com/forum...hp?t=34&page=7

Restoring the dll in (1) from the cabs folder on C: doesn't help. I cant extract an individual file from my OEM Restore disc and I'd rather not have to restore the entire machine if I can avoid it. The manufacturer claims compatability with ME (and W9x come to that), so it shouldnt be (2).