Do BT limit the download speed?

Old April 12th 08, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default Do BT limit the download speed?

I'm on an ISP who uses my BT line. With my ISP I'm on genuine unlimited
download. Usually my speed does not drop, but a couple of evenings ago it
dropped to half. If it happens again my ISP is going to take it up with
BT.
Now my question is BT handle a lot of different ISPs if the others get
extremely busy do BT reduce all?

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old April 12th 08, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 12/04/2008 11:48, David wrote:

With my ISP I'm on genuine unlimited download.

But is very likely to be contended (the contention will only kick in
when enough users are being greedy)

Old April 12th 08, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

"David" wrote in message
: I'm on an ISP who uses my BT line. With my ISP I'm on genuine unlimited
: download. Usually my speed does not drop, but a couple of evenings ago it
: dropped to half. If it happens again my ISP is going to take it up with
: BT.
: Now my question is BT handle a lot of different ISPs if the others get
: extremely busy do BT reduce all?
:

BT have to share the bandwidth with every user on the network. If it's
busy, your speed will drop, but no more than anyone else.
I *don't think* BT operate an unfair bandwidth policy. I read it somewhere
but I can't remember where.

Old April 12th 08, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

David wrote:

I'm on an ISP who uses my BT line. With my ISP I'm on genuine unlimited
download. Usually my speed does not drop, but a couple of evenings ago it
dropped to half. If it happens again my ISP is going to take it up with
BT.
Now my question is BT handle a lot of different ISPs if the others get
extremely busy do BT reduce all?

BT claim that they have enough bandwidth on 'max' circuits that this shouldn't
normally be a problem. That's why they don't actually quote a contention
figure for the Max product.

Graham

Old April 13th 08, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Eeyore wrote:

David wrote:

I'm on an ISP who uses my BT line. With my ISP I'm on genuine unlimited
download. Usually my speed does not drop, but a couple of evenings ago it
dropped to half. If it happens again my ISP is going to take it up with
BT.
Now my question is BT handle a lot of different ISPs if the others get
extremely busy do BT reduce all?

BT claim that they have enough bandwidth on 'max' circuits that this shouldn't
normally be a problem. That's why they don't actually quote a contention
figure for the Max product.

They may have abandoned contention, but they still cover themselves for
low rates in different ways.

Have a look at the throughput chapter in the bt doc.

www.andyqos.ukfsn.org/docs

Andy.
Old April 13th 08, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Andy Furniss wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
David wrote:

I'm on an ISP who uses my BT line. With my ISP I'm on genuine unlimited
download. Usually my speed does not drop, but a couple of evenings ago it
dropped to half. If it happens again my ISP is going to take it up with
BT.
Now my question is BT handle a lot of different ISPs if the others get
extremely busy do BT reduce all?

BT claim that they have enough bandwidth on 'max' circuits that this shouldn't
normally be a problem. That's why they don't actually quote a contention
figure for the Max product.

They may have abandoned contention, but they still cover themselves for
low rates in different ways.

Never experienced them (low rates - other than explained by the usual causes)
myself. Look to your own ISP's backhaul for such problems. You simply never see such
a problem with IDnet for example.

Have a look at the throughput chapter in the bt doc.

www.andyqos.ukfsn.org/docs

I'll have a look.

Graham

Old April 13th 08, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"David" wrote in message
I'm on an ISP who uses my BT line. With my ISP I'm on genuine unlimited
download. Usually my speed does not drop, but a couple of evenings ago it
dropped to half. If it happens again my ISP is going to take it up with
BT.
Now my question is BT handle a lot of different ISPs if the others get
extremely busy do BT reduce all?

--

A bit of a follow up here, my ISP been back to me about my drop from 1mb to
400 kb they say they and BT will not investigate unless it goes down to

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old April 13th 08, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

: A bit of a follow up here, my ISP been back to me about my drop from 1mb
: 400 kb they say they and BT will not investigate unless it goes down to
: under 200 kb.
: I told them I will now look for another ISP, with up to 8mb at more
: competitive prices.

Ha, that's ridiculous! I would do the same.

Old April 13th 08, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Eeyore wrote:

Andy Furniss wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
David wrote:

I'm on an ISP who uses my BT line. With my ISP I'm on genuine unlimited
download. Usually my speed does not drop, but a couple of evenings ago it
dropped to half. If it happens again my ISP is going to take it up with
BT.
Now my question is BT handle a lot of different ISPs if the others get
extremely busy do BT reduce all?
BT claim that they have enough bandwidth on 'max' circuits that this shouldn't
normally be a problem. That's why they don't actually quote a contention
figure for the Max product.

They may have abandoned contention, but they still cover themselves for
low rates in different ways.

Never experienced them (low rates - other than explained by the usual causes)
myself. Look to your own ISP's backhaul for such problems. You simply never see such
a problem with IDnet for example.

Well I guess IDnet consider their centrals to be fronthaul given their
claims of zero contention on their backhaul :-) I beleive you don't see
contention, but I doubt they run their centrals with so few customers
that you have 8 meg all to your self, whereas it's easy/far cheaper for
them to have central capacity to the ROTW. Maybe they just mean that
their price + usage limit + current customer usage patterns mean their
centrals don't get full - but that's not zero contention really.

I don't see ISP contention during the 30gig limit peak times and since
they are 0800-2200 I can easily test what bandwidth is available on my
exchange at a BT peak time.

It was quite bad when Max first launched, but then they put in more and
it's OK now (not that I've looked much recently).

FWIW if you want to test, BT have a big buffer for you at the bras as
opposed to ISP kit/BT central routers which IME police rates without
buffering. So if your exchange is running slower than you ISP and you
start a few downloads you should see higher pings to everywhere - this
lets you know it's not the senders/ISP that can't deliver the bandwidth.

Andy.