Virgin cut users speeds more dramatically

Old April 14th 08, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

Default Virgin cut users speeds more dramatically

Users speeds are now being cut down to 80Kbit/s, where last week it was
cut to 512Kbits.
It is just a bit quick quicker than the old fashioned dial up modem
speeds.

http://www.virgin.net/helpme/broadba...s_traffic.html

Old April 15th 08, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

Gonz wrote:
Users speeds are now being cut down to 80Kbit/s, where last week it
was cut to 512Kbits.
It is just a bit quick quicker than the old fashioned dial up modem
speeds.

http://www.virgin.net/helpme/broadba...s_traffic.html

That's ADSL of course and not Cable.

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:

Old April 15th 08, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meggahurtz

"Carl Waring" wrote in message
Gonz wrote:
Users speeds are now being cut down to 80Kbit/s, where last week it
was cut to 512Kbits.
It is just a bit quick quicker than the old fashioned dial up modem
speeds.

http://www.virgin.net/helpme/broadba...s_traffic.html

That's ADSL of course and not Cable.

And??

Got any comments to make on the other Cable Threads in this Newsgroup then
Carl?

Or have you crawled back under your rock??

Old April 15th 08, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xCx

Gonz wrote:
Users speeds are now being cut down to 80Kbit/s, where last week it
was cut to 512Kbits.
It is just a bit quick quicker than the old fashioned dial up modem
speeds.

http://www.virgin.net/helpme/broadba...s_traffic.html

That's ADSL of course and not Cable.

And??

Got any comments to make on the other Cable Threads in this Newsgroup
then Carl?

Or have you crawled back under your rock??

Forgive me if I don't get the whole idea of this properly, but
from what I can see they're only limiting the top 5% of
customers, so unless you're abusing a consumer connection and
downloading what they say is 70% of all customer data, then
you've nothing to worry about.

I'd hope that my ISP would do the same thing if 5% of
customers were making it ****ty for the rest of the customer
database to use their service.

Or am I missing something here?
Old April 15th 08, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Gonz wrote:
[...]

The only point you're missing is that they advertise the product as
"unlimited".

Far better if they openly specified real limits and a minimum qos.

The top 5% of users is vague and changes.

Its not just VM of course, OFCOM should do something about it.
Old April 15th 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Swift

In article , xCx
writes
Forgive me if I don't get the whole idea of this properly, but from what
I can see they're only limiting the top 5% of customers, so unless
you're abusing a consumer connection and downloading what they say is
70% of all customer data, then you've nothing to worry about.

I'd hope that my ISP would do the same thing if 5% of customers were
making it ****ty for the rest of the customer database to use their
service.

Or am I missing something here?

Yes.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Old April 16th 08, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Nick wrote:

The only point you're missing is that they advertise the product as
"unlimited".

And the point you're missing is that they don't advertise it as
"unlimited downloads per day".

The fact is that a user can download an unlimited amount of data - it
will just take longer once STM kicks in.

This is different to say lower tiers on some other ISPs where once you
hit your 1GB monthly limit your service ceases until you cough up extra
dough. Or get cut off entirely. Or dropped down to dialup speeds. I know
which I prefer.

And for what its worth, the "unlimited" wording has been legally tested
and found permissible, provided the smallprint states "subject to FUP".

Old April 17th 08, 02:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Mark McIntyre wrote:

Nick wrote:

The only point you're missing is that they advertise the product as
"unlimited".

And the point you're missing is that they don't advertise it as
"unlimited downloads per day".

That makes it alright does it ?

Graham