Coming soon to Virgin Media cable connections.

Old April 14th 08, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

Default Coming soon to Virgin Media cable connections.

This is now applied to Virgin ADSL customers, and will no doubt be
extended to Cable customers.

Application Management:

Application Management is really simple. We have a set of rules that
manages how much bandwidth is allocated to a specific list of
applications and protocols during peak periods. The rules apply to
everyone on the network who is using these application and protocols
during the peak period. Outside of peak periods, Application Management
does not apply. Right now, the peak period for Application Management is
Monday to Friday 4pm till 1am, and all day at the weekend.

Peak periods for Application Management may vary from time to time. This
enables us to adapt the service to seasonal variations in demand, as
well as the ever-changing ways in which customers use the internet

Everything from P2P, Usenet progs, to a normal web browser will be
affected.

http://www.virgin.net/helpme/broadba...s_traffic.html

Old April 14th 08, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Jay

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:40:33 +0100, "Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o
m wrote:

[...]

Which includes:

"At present, your speed won't be moderated unless you're in the top 5%
of downloaders. Our boffins recently ran a trial to see how much our
service was being affected. They discovered that, in certain areas,
customers were downloading such a large amount of content that it was
affecting the service for other users in these areas.

And we're not talking about just a few video clips. In some cases the
top 5% of users were downloading as much as 2GB, just during peak
times each week. That's around 500 music tracks in the space of a few
hours."

Ands

"Peak times run from 4pm till midnight."

This suggests customers who download 2GBytes per week during the peak
period are an extreme example of the top 5% of downloaders. I'm sure
someone will correct my maths if I'm wrong, but isn't that equivalent
to abut 36MBytes per hour, which is about double the maximum speed we
got from 56k modems?
--
Martin Jay
Old April 14th 08, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Martin Jay wrote:
This suggests customers who download 2GBytes per week during the peak
period are an extreme example of the top 5% of downloaders. I'm sure
someone will correct my maths if I'm wrong, but isn't that equivalent
to abut 36MBytes per hour, which is about double the maximum speed we
got from 56k modems?

That's about 8GB/month, which isn't much more than many ADSL ISPs' 'basic'
or 'intermediate' packages.

Do they mean 2GB/day, ie 60GB/month?

Theo
Old April 14th 08, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

m wrote:

[...]

I read that as..

in some areas we have users downloading too much for our network and they
interfere with each other.
We have decided we will cap a randomish selection and see if we can reduce
the traffic to a level we can manage.
If it doesn't work we will include more.
We are doing this because its cheaper than upgrading the actual capacity and
customers aren't paying enough.

Old April 14th 08, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:06:02 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

That's about 8GB/month, which isn't much more than many ADSL ISPs'
'basic' or 'intermediate' packages.

Do they mean 2GB/day, ie 60GB/month?

Which is still a very low amount of bandwidth for a broadband connection
to be using.

Old April 14th 08, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Jason Clifford wrote:
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:06:02 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

That's about 8GB/month, which isn't much more than many ADSL ISPs'
'basic' or 'intermediate' packages.

Do they mean 2GB/day, ie 60GB/month?

Which is still a very low amount of bandwidth for a broadband connection
to be using.

Its not that low.

If you look at companies that do specify download limits the VirginMedia
price is in the region you would expect for an 8Gb product.

I think Plusnet charge about 15.00.
Old April 14th 08, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

m wrote:

[...]

Hang on a minute, aren't some of you a little confused?

Any ADSL service always has those magic words 'up to' before the speed.
How many people actually get anything near 8Mb at any time other than at
about 5 in the morning? That makes the calculations above look a bit
sick doesn't it?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old April 14th 08, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Woody" wrote in message

8

Hang on a minute, aren't some of you a little confused?

Any ADSL service always has those magic words 'up to' before the speed.
How many people actually get anything near 8Mb at any time other than at
about 5 in the morning? That makes the calculations above look a bit sick
doesn't it?

That is because ADSL technology limits the rate at different line lengths..
cable doesn't and this is about cable.

Anyway I get 12M - 16M at anytime I measure it on ADSL so it can be done.

Old April 14th 08, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Woody wrote:

Hang on a minute, aren't some of you a little confused?

Any ADSL service always has those magic words 'up to' before the speed.
How many people actually get anything near 8Mb at any time

Actually the fastest *data rate* possible with standard ADSL is 7150 kbps.
You NEVER get 8Mbps.

other than at about 5 in the morning?

Me. All day long

Good for 6Mbps or better pretty much all day long. Good ISP of course
(Idnet).

Graham

Old April 14th 08, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meggahurtz

"Woody" wrote in message
"[email protected]" wrote in message
Any ADSL service always has those magic words 'up to' before the speed.
How many people actually get anything near 8Mb at any time other than at
about 5 in the morning? That makes the calculations above look a bit sick
doesn't it?

8mb Here on Sky anytime, Day or Night at 5 a month..

Next Question??