02 - No News server.

Old April 16th 08, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

Default 02 - No News server.

Pipex have decided to charge 1 p/m for paying by credit card. They actually
applied the charge without giving me a chance to change to direct debit
before the payment became due. They claim that the T&C allow them to make
the charge but I can not find it and when I asked the person I spoke to was
unable to point to the relevant sentence.

What also annoyed me was that the email advising the change gave an 0871
number (10p/min) for changing to direct debit. The lady I spoke to was in
the Philippines and told me to call a different number to make the change.
(Just as well as we were having difficulty understanding each other, and for
her it must have been the middle to the night.)

I have been considering 02 as a supplier, the only disadvantage is that they
do not operate a news server, but the 12.50 p/m for an unspecified number
of GB is actually slightly less that I am paying Pipex for 15GB/month
download..

So can anyone recommend a decent news server? or an ISP that would offer a
better deal?

02 also told me that I could continue to use my old email address but I
could not understand his explanation of how this worked.
Can anyone explain! (Just to satisfy my curiosity as I use email forwarding
from my own domain.)

--
Michael Chare

Old April 16th 08, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Section 31T

"Michael Chare" wrote in message

So can anyone recommend a decent news server? or an ISP that would offer a
better deal?

This has been coverd before. Try searching google for "news servers"

http://i26.tinypic.com/5ctcp.jpg

Old April 16th 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

"Michael Chare" wrote:

[...]

Aren't Pipex part of Tiscali now? If so that's explain the poor CS.

AstraNews offer a reasonable News service apparently.

As far as ISPs are concerned Newnet are good (I know a few people with them) plus
they have the added benefit of a UK based office, with people that have conversations
with you rather than reading from a script.

I'm with Zen. They have a news server included in the price, but they're not the
cheapest ISP. They do offer a good service though and again have a UK call centre.

--

Andrew Sayers
Old April 16th 08, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Andrew Sayers" wrote in message
"Michael Chare" wrote:

Aren't Pipex part of Tiscali now? If so that's explain the poor CS.

Yes, and Tiscali are now up for sale. Closing date May 5th.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3...s-may-5th.html

--
Michael Chare

Old April 16th 08, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spud

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:08:26 +0100, "Section 31T"
wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message

So can anyone recommend a decent news server? or an ISP that would offer a
better deal?

This has been coverd before. Try searching google for "news servers"

http://i26.tinypic.com/5ctcp.jpg

Try this for starters: news.aioe.org
Old April 16th 08, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:59:41 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

02 also told me that I could continue to use my old email address but I
could not understand his explanation of how this worked. Can anyone
explain! (Just to satisfy my curiosity as I use email forwarding from
my own domain.)

"Could" is the key word here. If you keep paying whoever hosts and renews
your domain, you will still be able to use it. If that happens to be
Pipex, you're best off getting the domain transferred and hosted
elsewhere, or working out an arrangement for hosting with them before you
cease your broadband.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
23:41:30 up 52 days, 6:35, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.05, 0.07
Old April 17th 08, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

[...]

I also needed a news server as talktalk don't have one. I came across this
one http://www.albasani.net/index.html . I registered and have found them
very good. They are fairly new with excellent retention and they are
continually adding new groups. Best bit is that they are free.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old April 17th 08, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

[...]

I have a block account from this lot:
http://usenet-news.net
Unless you're going to be hitting the binary groups, a 5GB block for $3USD
will last for ever.

Old April 18th 08, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message
"Michael Chare" wrote in message

snip
I also needed a news server as talktalk don't have one. I came across
this one http://www.albasani.net/index.html . I registered and have
found them very good. They are fairly new with excellent retention and
they are continually adding new groups. Best bit is that they are free.
Keith Willcocks

Me too, I was using motzarella.org, but found albasani better

Steve Terry

Old April 19th 08, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Gizmo. wrote:

I have a block account from this lot:
http://usenet-news.net
Unless you're going to be hitting the binary groups, a 5GB block for $3USD
will last for ever.

Or until the server goes tits-up, whichever is the sooner.