Which ISP for an old lady with no previous

Old April 17th 08, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheOldFellow

Default Which ISP for an old lady with no previous

I have to recommend a low cost ISP for a friend, she's in her 70s and
this will be her 1st computer, and her first ISP.

I don't expect her bandwidth requirements will top 1Gb/month for the
first year. We are not close to the exchange, I get 1.5Mb, she is
about the same distance, so we are not expecting 5M - and the exchange
is not LLUed at all (according to Sam).

Madasafish seem to have the right sort of package. Free connection &
router at 10 a month.

But maybe buying a router and paying, say IDnet 50, for connection are
worth it. I'm with Freedom2Surf (now part of Tiscalli, spit) and have
had no problems, but I'm a 40year computer-literate - I'd get a 15
kickback though.

What would you recommend?

R.

Old April 17th 08, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
I have to recommend a low cost ISP for a friend, she's in her 70s and
this will be her 1st computer, and her first ISP.

I don't expect her bandwidth requirements will top 1Gb/month for the
first year. We are not close to the exchange, I get 1.5Mb, she is
about the same distance, so we are not expecting 5M - and the exchange
is not LLUed at all (according to Sam).

Madasafish seem to have the right sort of package. Free connection &
router at 10 a month.

But maybe buying a router and paying, say IDnet 50, for connection are
worth it. I'm with Freedom2Surf (now part of Tiscalli, spit) and have
had no problems, but I'm a 40year computer-literate - I'd get a 15
kickback though.

What would you recommend?

R.

Use a professional ISP which will provide a static IP address. Install a
Vigor router and configure a VPN from your own internet connection - ideally
use a similar Vigor router and set up a LAN-to-LAN VPN. Install VNC on the
friend's computer and configure the firewall accordingly.

You will then be in a position to connect to that computer whenever your
friend has a problem (which since it is here first computer will be very
frequently!).

-- Graham J

Old April 17th 08, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Graham J wrote:
[...]

Why not use an ISP which really is 9.99 a month rather than just for the
first 6 months (then 14.99).

If feel you need VPN tunnels (rather than just remote desktop over IP)
why not use some Netgear DG834 v3 which are ~42 rather than the 100++
of the Vigors.

The DG834 also allows registration with a dynamic DNS provider so you
don't need a static IP.
Old April 17th 08, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
I have to recommend a low cost ISP for a friend, she's in her 70s and
this will be her 1st computer, and her first ISP.

I don't expect her bandwidth requirements will top 1Gb/month for the
first year. We are not close to the exchange, I get 1.5Mb, she is
about the same distance, so we are not expecting 5M - and the exchange
is not LLUed at all (according to Sam).

Madasafish seem to have the right sort of package. Free connection &
router at 10 a month.

Only for first 6 months - after that it's 14.99 a month.
http://www.madasafish.com/broadband/
Madasafish are now owned by Plusnet, who in turn are now owned by BT.
Complicated, innit!
Plusnet themselves have a genuine 9.99 tariff, with a router, that won't
increase in 6 months' time.
See http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...r=broadbandtab
Hope that helps

George

Old April 17th 08, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

TheOldFellow wrote:

I have to recommend a low cost ISP for a friend, she's in her 70s and
this will be her 1st computer, and her first ISP.

I don't expect her bandwidth requirements will top 1Gb/month for the
first year. We are not close to the exchange, I get 1.5Mb, she is
about the same distance, so we are not expecting 5M - and the exchange
is not LLUed at all (according to Sam).

Madasafish seem to have the right sort of package. Free connection &
router at 10 a month.

But maybe buying a router and paying, say IDnet 50, for connection are
worth it. I'm with Freedom2Surf (now part of Tiscalli, spit) and have
had no problems, but I'm a 40year computer-literate - I'd get a 15
kickback though.

What would you recommend?

I'd consider Plusnet actually with their 9.99 package.

Graham

Old April 17th 08, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"George Weston" wrote in message

Plusnet themselves have a genuine 9.99 tariff, with a router, that won't
increase in 6 months' time.
See http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...r=broadbandtab

I've been with PlusNet for almost a month now (Albeit on Option 2) Its been
excellent so far and would have no concerns about recommending it to others.

--
JC

Old April 17th 08, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

JC wrote:
"George Weston" wrote in message

Plusnet themselves have a genuine 9.99 tariff, with a router, that won't
increase in 6 months' time.
See http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...r=broadbandtab

I've been with PlusNet for almost a month now (Albeit on Option 2) Its been
excellent so far and would have no concerns about recommending it to others.

There is a set up fee of 40 and the router is 29.99 if you want a 1
month contract. Both free if you stay with PN for 12 months.

JC, don't forget to give your usename to get a referral fee.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old April 18th 08, 04:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark BR

Old Codger wrote:
JC wrote:
"George Weston" wrote in message

Plusnet themselves have a genuine 9.99 tariff, with a router, that
won't increase in 6 months' time.
See
http://www.plus.net/residential/broa...r=broadbandtab

I've been with PlusNet for almost a month now (Albeit on Option 2)
Its been excellent so far and would have no concerns about
recommending it to others.

There is a set up fee of 40 and the router is 29.99 if you want a 1
month contract. Both free if you stay with PN for 12 months.

JC, don't forget to give your usename to get a referral fee.

And PlusNet have a customer services that you can phone and talk to someone
who talks English, not computerize.

--
Mark BR

Old April 18th 08, 06:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheOldFellow

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:46:49 +0100
Eeyore wrote:

TheOldFellow wrote:

What would you recommend?

I'd consider Plusnet actually with their 9.99 package.

All of these excellent responses just go to show that you need a
personal recommend, and not rely on Internet Comparison Websites.

Plusnet's 10 for 12 months it is then. I might even move there myself.

R.

Old April 18th 08, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Eeyore wrote:

TheOldFellow wrote:

What would you recommend?

I'd consider Plusnet actually with their 9.99 package.

All of these excellent responses just go to show that you need a
personal recommend, and not rely on Internet Comparison Websites.

Plusnet's 10 for 12 months it is then. I might even move there
myself.

R.

My next-door neighbours are 80 and 84-years old and very light users (email
to relatives in Canada and the UK, and a bit of general surfing) so instead
of them laying out for a connection of their own, I suggested that they buy
a wifi adapter and I'd let them piggyback on my account (top package from
BT). Works very well in our case but don't know if it's practical/desirable
for you - may be worth considering though.

John