download films on Waitrose, Zen or 'be'

Old April 17th 08, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,24hoursupport.helpdesk
johngood_____

Default download films on Waitrose, Zen or 'be'

At the moment I'm with virgin net 'plan2' ( 'not' on the new cable) and have
learnt recently from virgin that my 17.99 a month package, was capped at
2MB data stream and that I could be switched to 5MB IP stream for the same
money I'm paying them. So I asked them to upgrade me to the faster IP system
and Virgin told me to wait 10 days or so for the system to pick up speed.

It's now three weeks and I've just done a line test with www.speedtest.net
which tells me that my download speed is 1001 kb/s. That's at 2045hours this
evening.

I use the internet myself mainly just for web browsing and emailing, but my
son upstairs uses his pc for constantly downloading films. (we're talking 24
hours a day downloading). I thought that his using the pc like this might
put him
and me into the special 'heavy users' catagory. I have tried to understand
virgin's traffic management policy, but cannot. Could I be getting such
slow
download speeds because of my sons usage? Although when I got the speedtest
result this evening he was not downloading anything and he has not done so
for a couple of days.

When I looked at the ' Which ' magazine online they recommend Zen and
Waitrose broadband. The waitrose capps at 5GB a month and one of the Zen
packages at 2GB a month. Would anyone be able to guess roughly for me;
what my son's perpetual film downloads would clock up every month, so I
might know which of the different packages to aim for?

A friend has recommended 'be' internet provider. They say that their
downloads are not capped. Could this be possible? Everybody else is
talking about capping so I'm wondering if what I'm offered is too good to be
true. 'be' require me to be tied into a 12 month contract , so I'm
wondering if they really do not effect some complicated kind of capping
especially since it's only 14.99 a month. [ incidentally 'be' told me over
the phone that my connection to the exchange could give me a maximum of 7 to
8 MB/s download speed whilst everybody else I've ever talked to about it
including virgin and bt tell me that the maximum speed i could possibly get
on my line is 5 MB/s. Would that be because 'be' are using different
equipment or are more fanciful in their expectations?]

Would be grateful if some of you knowledgeable guys who know about this
stuff might recommend one out of: Zen, Waitrose or 'be' for someone with
my and my son's user profile. Thanks for advice.

Old April 17th 08, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Rod Speed

johngood_____ wrote:

At the moment I'm with virgin net 'plan2' ( 'not' on the new cable)
and have learnt recently from virgin that my 17.99 a month package,
was capped at 2MB data stream and that I could be switched to 5MB IP
stream for the same money I'm paying them. So I asked them to upgrade
me to the faster IP system and Virgin told me to wait 10 days or so
for the system to pick up speed.

It's now three weeks and I've just done a line test with
www.speedtest.net which tells me that my download speed is 1001 kb/s.

Thats a pretty useless measure of the connection speed.

What does the modem say the speed is ?

That's at 2045hours this evening.

I use the internet myself mainly just for web browsing and emailing,
but my son upstairs uses his pc for constantly downloading films.
(we're talking 24 hours a day downloading). I thought that his using the pc like this might put him and me into the
special 'heavy users' catagory. I have tried to understand virgin's traffic management policy, but cannot. Could I
be getting such slow download speeds because of my sons usage?

Yes. And it isnt just the download speed that matters, most of the time its
actually limited by the upload speed with torrents and other movie downloads.

Although when I got the speedtest result this evening he was not downloading anything and he has not done so for a
couple of days.

When I looked at the ' Which ' magazine online they recommend Zen and
Waitrose broadband. The waitrose capps at 5GB a month and one of the
Zen packages at 2GB a month. Would anyone be able to guess roughly
for me; what my son's perpetual film downloads would clock up every
month, so I might know which of the different packages to aim for?

Impossible to say, because it depends entirely on what he is downloading
and how many at once, and where from and how many seeds the sources
of the movies have etc. There is a hell of a difference between the current
popular favourites seeds wise and say obscure unusual stuff movie wise.

I can burn up 100G a month without even trying and I dont even bother
with the most popular movies and mostly dont download movies either.

A friend has recommended 'be' internet provider. They say that their downloads are not capped. Could this be
possible?

Yes, there are a some operations that arent.

Everybody else is talking about capping so I'm wondering if what I'm offered is too good to be true. 'be' require me
to be tied into a 12 month contract, so I'm wondering if they really do not effect some complicated kind of capping
especially since it's only 14.99 a month.

Yeah, thats a real possibility.

[ incidentally 'be' told me over the phone that my connection to the exchange could give me a maximum of 7 to 8 MB/s
download speed whilst everybody else I've ever talked to about it including virgin and bt tell me that the maximum
speed i could possibly get on my line is 5 MB/s.

adsl1 can do 8Mb and you can do a lot better than that with adsl2+

Quite a few isps do limit the download to less than the technology can do tho.

Would that be because 'be' are using different equipment

Yes.

or are more fanciful in their expectations?]

Unlikely given the consumer law protection you have if they cant deliver what they claim.

Would be grateful if some of you knowledgeable guys who know about this stuff might recommend one out of: Zen,
Waitrose or 'be' for someone with my and my son's user profile.

Not everyone who reads here uses the english systems.

Old April 17th 08, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Eeyore

johngood_____ wrote:

At the moment I'm with virgin net 'plan2' ( 'not' on the new cable) and have
learnt recently from virgin that my 17.99 a month package, was capped at
2MB data stream and that I could be switched to 5MB IP stream for the same
money I'm paying them. So I asked them to upgrade me to the faster IP system
and Virgin told me to wait 10 days or so for the system to pick up speed.

It's now three weeks and I've just done a line test with www.speedtest.net
which tells me that my download speed is 1001 kb/s. That's at 2045hours this
evening.

Hopefully by now you should realise that VM are nearly worse than useless.

Get a decent ISP.

Graham

Old April 18th 08, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,24hoursupport.helpdesk
PlusNet Support Team

On 17/04/2008 at 21:25 johngood_____ wrote:
When I looked at the ' Which ' magazine online they recommend Zen and
Waitrose broadband. The waitrose capps at 5GB a month and one of the Zen
packages at 2GB a month. Would anyone be able to guess roughly for me;
what my son's perpetual film downloads would clock up every month, so I
might know which of the different packages to aim for?

A retail DVD is circa 4.5GB.

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc. www.plus.net
+------ PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old April 18th 08, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks
Kadaitcha Man

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

johngood_____ wrote:

At the moment I'm with virgin net 'plan2' ( 'not' on the new cable)
and have learnt recently from virgin that my 17.99 a month package,
was capped at 2MB data stream and that I could be switched to 5MB IP
stream for the same money I'm paying them. So I asked them to upgrade
me to the faster IP system and Virgin told me to wait 10 days or so
for the system to pick up speed.

It's now three weeks and I've just done a line test with
www.speedtest.net which tells me that my download speed is 1001 kb/s.

Thats a pretty uselessBITCHSLAP

Hello, Woddleypoo. I have a usenet k0oK award marked out with your name on
it. The name of the award has the word "COWARD" in it.

Are you going to come out and play with the nasty Kadaitcha Man? Or are you
going to run away and hide like you always do when I decide to give you a
taste of your own medicine? Hmmm?

--
alt.usenet.kooks
Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

Find me on Google Maps: 2439'47.13"S, 1344'20.18"E

Old April 18th 08, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Gizmo.

"johngood_____" wrote in message
When I looked at the ' Which ' magazine online they recommend Zen and
Waitrose broadband. The waitrose capps at 5GB a month and one of the Zen
packages at 2GB a month. Would anyone be able to guess roughly for me;
what my son's perpetual film downloads would clock up every month, so I
might know which of the different packages to aim for?

Either get a leased line, or shatter your sons fingers ... or maybe both.

Old April 18th 08, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp,alt.usenet.kooks
John \C\

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

Are you going to come out and play with the nasty Kadaitcha Man? Or

are you
going to run away and hide like you always do when I decide to give

you a
taste of your own medicine? Hmmm?

Yes, Ricky!

John C.
--
"I will admit to being dickless.
I will admit to being a raging homosexual.

Old April 18th 08, 07:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rex M F Smith

In message [email protected], PlusNet Support
Team writes

A retail DVD is circa 4.5GB.

Per *layer*; yes (maybe 120 minutes per layer ...)

many films are on double layer discs ...
--
Rex M F Smith
Old April 18th 08, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,24hoursupport.helpdesk
John Whitworth

"johngood_____" wrote in message

Would be grateful if some of you knowledgeable guys who know about this
stuff might recommend one out of: Zen, Waitrose or 'be' for someone with
my and my son's user profile. Thanks for advice.

I'm with Zen. I have the 25/month 20GB cap service. I cannot remember the
last time I lost service, and the quality of the connection is always good.
But it's not cheap though...I guess you get what you pay for. For so many
film downloads, a 2GB cap is definitely no good. I'd reckon you are probably
looking at needing more like a 50GB cap.

JW

Old April 18th 08, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Woby Tide

On Apr 17, 9:25*pm, "johngood_____" wrote:
At the moment I'm with virgin net 'plan2' ( 'not' on the new cable) and have
learnt recently from virgin that my 17.99 a month package, was capped at
2MB data stream and that I could be switched to 5MB IP stream for the same
money I'm paying them. So I asked them to upgrade me to the faster IP system
and Virgin told me to wait 10 days or so for the system to pick up speed.

It's now three weeks and I've just done a line test withwww.speedtest.net
which tells me that my download speed is 1001 kb/s. That's at 2045hours this
evening.

I use the internet myself mainly just for web browsing and emailing, but my
son upstairs uses his pc for constantly downloading films. (we're talking 24
hours a day downloading). I thought that his using the pc like this might
put him
and me into the special 'heavy users' catagory.

Depending what films he is downloading some Be users have received
letters telling them to stop downloading certain films after Be were
approached by the film companies owning the copyright. But so will
most ISP's going forward

A friend has recommended 'be' internet provider. *They say that their
downloads are not capped. *Could this be possible? *Everybody else is
talking about capping so I'm wondering if what I'm offered is too good to be
true. *'be' require me to be tied into a 12 month contract ,

only on their cheapest package is there a 12 month contract, on the
18 contract it's 3 months, or you can leave for 40 at any point. You
can actual swap packages month to month so you could go on the lowest
package but when you want to leave, upgrade and reduce the notice term

wondering if they really do not effect some complicated kind of capping
especially since it's only 14.99 a month. *[ incidentally 'be' told me over
the phone that my connection to the exchange could give me a maximum of 7 to
8 MB/s download speed whilst everybody else I've ever talked to about it
including virgin and bt tell me that the maximum speed i could possibly get
on my line is 5 MB/s. *Would that be because 'be' are using different
equipment or are more fanciful in their expectations?]

different equipment and technology ADSL2 v ADSL

they certainly are good for your sons usage, the speed very rarely
dips even at peak times