o2 are rubbish dont use em

Old April 18th 08, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default o2 are rubbish dont use em

absolotely diabolical ,2nd line help always busy .a shambles
dont go near them ,they blame BT but never fix the problems .
Old April 18th 08, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bornfree

On 18 Apr, 16:45, wrote:
absolotely diabolical ,2nd line help always busy .a shambles
dont go near them ,they blame BT but never fix the problems .

I used O2.. It's dirt cheap and f**king fast. Also tech support is
free!

Broadband cuts out about 5 times a day for a couple of seconds each
time. Free tech support is good to average. I'm in Central London. If
you want really fast internet and you're broke, recommended.
Old April 19th 08, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

bornfree wrote:
I used O2.. It's dirt cheap and f**king fast. Also tech support is
free!

Broadband cuts out about 5 times a day for a couple of seconds each
time. Free tech support is good to average. I'm in Central London. If
you want really fast internet and you're broke, recommended.

I'm in Harrow outside London, Be/O2 is fast* here (matches predictions
of speed vs. distance from exchange) - but do get their router
restarting at random periods from 2 days to 2 weeks. Some of the wiring
around here must be back to the 1970's...

* fast, as means BBC iPlayer downloads works pretty much up to the
capacity of my 11Mbps synched connection.

--
Adrian C
Old April 19th 08, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bornfree

On 19 Apr, 10:04, Adrian C wrote:

I'm in Harrow outside London, Be/O2 is fast* here (matches predictions
of speed vs. distance from exchange) - but do get their router
restarting at random periods from 2 days to 2 weeks. Some of the wiring
around here must be back to the 1970's...

* fast, as means BBC iPlayer downloads works pretty much up to the
capacity of my 11Mbps synched connection.

Well I pay much less than you at just 7.50/ month provided I top up
my O2 pay as you go mobile every 3 months. 12.50/ month if I forget.
Either is an absolute BARGAIN in my book seeing as I get 5+megabits
unlimited use!! (Around 667 KiloBytes/ sec)

Interesting also that O2 have the FASTEST average real world speed!*

*According to Broadband Expert

See article on trusted reviews:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/networ...tised-Speed/p1

The router restarting must be the Be / O2 network, not the wiring,
because with Eclipse it almost never happened. It doesn't happen to me
very often though and I am very happy with O2 overall.
Old April 19th 08, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bornfree

On 19 Apr, 10:04, Adrian C wrote:
* fast, as means BBC iPlayer downloads works pretty much up to the
capacity of my 11Mbps synched connection.

Adrian - what exchange are you on? Here on the Bayswater (code WEWBAY)
exchange the max speed according to www.samknows.com is estimated (as
I understand it) at 5 megabits.. which is exactly what I get.
Old April 19th 08, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

bornfree wrote:
On 19 Apr, 10:04, Adrian C wrote:
* fast, as means BBC iPlayer downloads works pretty much up to the
capacity of my 11Mbps synched connection.

Adrian - what exchange are you on? Here on the Bayswater (code WEWBAY)
exchange the max speed according to www.samknows.com is estimated (as
I understand it) at 5 megabits.. which is exactly what I get.

I'm on the Kingsbury (LWKIN) exchange, about 1.2KM minimum of telephone
cable and normally water flooded BT manholes away from it. SamKnows is
quoting a performance of 5.5Mbps for BT's ADSL Max service, but I'm on
ADSL2+ so do get more (in fact double) that.

Look at http://www2.farina1.com/adsl/ and stick your router figures in
there.

My internal phone wiring is admittedly messy, mixed alongside mains
wiring, and I have a lot of things connected to it (all running through
one microfilter). If I did a proper tidy up in theory (and pulled the
ring wire) I should be able to get it up to 16MBps? I'll probably get
around to doing that some time I'm not running about trying to save the
world from the impending doom of..... (can't tell ya.. sorry)

:-)

--
Adrian C
Old April 19th 08, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bornfree

On 19 Apr, 17:12, Adrian C wrote:
I'm on the Kingsbury (LWKIN) exchange, about 1.2KM minimum of telephone
cable and normally water flooded BT manholes away from it. SamKnows is
quoting a performance of 5.5Mbps for BT's ADSL Max service, but I'm on
ADSL2+ so do get more (in fact double) that.

Look at http://www2.farina1.com/adsl/ and stick your router figures in
there.

Sync speed: 6256Kbps
Attenuation: 44 dB
Noise margin: 4 dB

What's yours?

Also.. my exchange:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WEWBAY

Does that mean I can get over 8MB ?
Old April 20th 08, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

bornfree wrote:

Sync speed: 6256Kbps
Attenuation: 44 dB
Noise margin: 4 dB
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WEWBAY

Hmm, How far does SamKnows say you are from the exchange?

Does that mean I can get over 8MB ?

You could in theory get that, but this is the reason for the "up to"
marketing stance taken when advertising. You can fiddle around with
internal wiring to a point (fixing known issues like the ring wire), but
given that most of it is outside your door and in central London
squeezed in and bundled with God knows how many other cables and
services, I think 6Mbps for whatever you are paying O2 is stormin'. ;-)

Have a look through Be's forums if you wanna try and optimise it.

Also here http://www.beforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8152

OK, My figures on my SpeedTouch 780 are

ADSL2+ Sync speed: 10,505 (Ouch, it's gone down this morning - wet outside!)
Attenuation: 28
Noise Margin: 9.5

Distance: 1.2KM
Uptime: 12 days :-)

--
Adrian C
Old April 22nd 08, 01:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bornfree

On 20 Apr, 10:26, Adrian C wrote:
bornfree wrote:

Sync speed: 6256Kbps
Attenuation: 44 dB
Noise margin: 4 dB

Have a look through Be's forums if you wanna try and optimise it.

Also here http://www.beforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8152

Hi.
Thanks. Not worth it. I am syncing on the dotted line!