Speed up network file copying in Vista

Old April 19th 08, 10:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

Default Speed up network file copying in Vista

Apparently Vista implements TCP "autotuning" which many routers don't
like and it's resulting in monolothic file copying times across a
network. Turning off the autotuning can result in file copy times
significantly faster than XP!!

This will only work if you have installed SP1 on Vista.

Open an Administrative Command window (Start, All Programs,
Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as
Administrator)

At the command prompt type:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Job done.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old April 19th 08, 11:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 19/04/2008 in message Conor wrote:

At the command prompt type:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Job done.

If that works it could make all the difference to me, and lots of others
possibly.

Thanks for posting :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap
Old April 19th 08, 11:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Jeff Gaines
says...
On 19/04/2008 in message Conor wrote:

At the command prompt type:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Job done.

If that works it could make all the difference to me, and lots of others
possibly.

Thanks for posting :-)

In the testing done, it took the 5 minutes it was taking to copy a 61MB
file across down to 6 seconds and 424MB file 1 min 34 sec on Vista as
opposed to 1 min 53 sec on XP.

Old May 14th 08, 08:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:44:54 +0100, Conor
wrote:

Apparently Vista implements TCP "autotuning" which many routers don't
like and it's resulting in monolothic file copying times across a
network. Turning off the autotuning can result in file copy times
significantly faster than XP!!

This will only work if you have installed SP1 on Vista.

I have Vista ultimate _without_ SP1 and the above works. Do I have to
input the command every session Conor? Just copied an 800 meg video
file to my NAS in around two minutes as opposed to the usual 15 or so
it was taking before. I always wondered why my wife's XP machine could
copy a file from the NAS so much faster than I could.

Many thanks for the heads up!