Transfer to TalkTalk and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Old April 19th 08, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren

Default Transfer to TalkTalk and I'm pleasantly surprised.

FYI

Finally decided to take the plunge and save myself a tenner a month by
dumping BT and going for TalkTalk Anytime International package, which
is free anytime calls, Broadband and certain international calls @
20pm all in. I was paying BT 11pm plus 20pm to UKFSN. I was
somewhat concerned about the bad press for TalkTalk in the distant
past, but much better of late and sods law always working against me.
Well yesterday my old BB and phoneline disconnected on schedule and
within minutes my new TalkTalk setup was up and running on both BB and
phone. speeds are 8mbdown and 0.8mb up, so upload is a little down but
so far not a problem. Seems as good as my UKFSN setup was, I know it's
early days yet.

I dont ring 08 premium numbers on principle but emailing TT was ok,
whereas emailing UKFSN results in support emails bouncing etc (I told
them about that but nothing changed)

So far so good. If you dont need support then TalkTalk has gone well.

Hope this might help anyone thinking of jumping ship.

Old April 19th 08, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
naza

The big companies do get it right with some people, otherwise they
would go bust, if all their customers were having problems.
Old April 20th 08, 07:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:38:33 +0100, Darren
wrote:

[...]

Not so good this Sunday morning 06:30 huge lag and pretty much
unusable. Nothing on status page either.
Download speed 840 Kbps (socket test)
Upload speed 782 Kbps (socket test)
Quality of service 31 %
Maximum pause 750 ms
Round trip time 30 ms

Old April 20th 08, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rex J Atkins AMIBE

In article , Darren
writes
[...]

I am, at present with Tiscali and the 8Mb MAX gives me 2700Kps at peak
and 500 at worst.... Next door on BT gets a solid 6Mb,,,

However, TalkTalk dont seem to have a web site, and I cant get info from
the 0800 number...

Question, does TalkTalk charge a connection charge per call (e.g. NTL
charged 7p per call which made my phone bill part some 5 per month more
than the BT)

Question, who do you go to for phone problems (I remember being in a
cold phone box waiting for 2 hours when the line went dead because the
NTL installer transferred it to someone else )

For NTL read Virgin now....

Rex in Norwich
--
Rex J Atkins, AMIBE
E-Mail
Old April 20th 08, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren

wrote:

[...]

Now working again
Download speed 8095 Kbps (socket test)
Upload speed 779 Kbps (socket test)
Quality of service 99 %
Maximum pause 14 ms
Round trip time 32 ms

Old April 20th 08, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 07:50:35 +0100, Rex J Atkins AMIBE
wrote:

[...]

I am, at present with Tiscali

I sympathise with you. They are possibly the worst ISP I have ever
had.

and the 8Mb MAX gives me 2700Kps at peak
and 500 at worst.... Next door on BT gets a solid 6Mb,,,
However, TalkTalk dont seem to have a web site, and I cant get info from
the 0800 number...

Ur right all the numbers seem to be prmium 08s. I'm not kidding myself
by imagining TT support is any better than the other rubbish out
there. To me the service either works or it doesnt, lifes too short to
be crapping around phoning useless people up.

TT website is http://tinyurl.com/5eobj and it's working now.

Question, does TalkTalk charge a connection charge per call (e.g. NTL
charged 7p per call which made my phone bill part some 5 per month more
than the BT)

I have the anytime international pack and there is no connection
charge for free calls as far as I am aware.

Mobiles are not bad at 12p & 7p
0870 6p & 1.5p
0845 2p & 0.5p

which seems on a par with my former 1899/18185 service on BT (u cant
get it on TT)

Question, who do you go to for phone problems (I remember being in a
cold phone box waiting for 2 hours when the line went dead because the
NTL installer transferred it to someone else )

For NTL read Virgin now....

Virgin are equal worst in my opinion. I'd forgotten about them!

Put it this way if UR with Tiscali things cant get any worse by going
elsewhere.
Old April 20th 08, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

wrote:

[...]

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/

Slow to say the least.
--

Martin

Old April 20th 08, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xCx

Darren wrote:
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:38:33 +0100, Darren

Not so good this Sunday morning 06:30 huge lag and pretty much
unusable. Nothing on status page either.
Download speed 840 Kbps (socket test)
Upload speed 782 Kbps (socket test)
Quality of service 31 %
Maximum pause 750 ms
Round trip time 30 ms

Sunday morning at that time though, good chance they'll have
been doing some kind of maintainance work to the network.
Old April 21st 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trevor

On 20 Apr, 12:50, xCx wrote:
Darren wrote:
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:38:33 +0100, Darren

Not so good this Sunday morning 06:30 huge lag and pretty much
unusable. *Nothing on status page either.
Download speed *840 Kbps (socket test)
Upload speed *782 Kbps (socket test)
Quality of service *31 %
Maximum pause *750 ms
Round trip time *30 ms

Sunday morning at that time though, good chance they'll have
been doing some kind of maintainance work to the network.

You should have a look at the TalkTalk members site and forum, very
usefull information on there and lots of help on the forum.
http://www.talktalkmembers.com
Trevor
Old April 25th 08, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Gibbs

"Darren" wrote in message
[...]

For TT support, the new online members area www.talktalkmembers.com with
it's excellent forum is great, much better & quicker than the South African
phone/email support.

I have been with TT for over a year, and I'm happy.

Ron