new provider and newsgroups

Old April 20th 08, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
johngood_____

Default new provider and newsgroups

In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the inconvenience
of accessing Newsgroups through Google; is there a reasonably priced and
easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using this new provider please. I
phoned up the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds, I did a search
on this but it doesn't seem to me to connect in any way with Newsgroups as
far as I can see. Thanks for any advice.

Old April 20th 08, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

johngood_____ wrote
on Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:30:10 GMT in message
:

In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the inconvenience
of accessing Newsgroups through Google; is there a reasonably priced and
easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using this new provider please. I
phoned up the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds, I did a search
on this but it doesn't seem to me to connect in any way with Newsgroups as
far as I can see. Thanks for any advice.

For text only:

Free:

news.motzarella.org

news.albasani.net

Are two and have been reliable all the time I've used them.

Then there's news.individual.net for 10 (Ten Euro) per year. When I used
them in the past, they were reliable.

For binaries, afraid someone else will have to answer there.

--
Preston, Wigan, Blackpool, Camden, Dalston,
Enfield and Haringey Virgin Media Broadband users
Old April 20th 08, 03:53 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:30:10 UTC, "johngood_____"
wrote:

In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the inconvenience
of accessing Newsgroups through Google; is there a reasonably priced and
easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using this new provider please. I
phoned up the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds, I did a search
on this but it doesn't seem to me to connect in any way with Newsgroups as
far as I can see. Thanks for any advice.

news.individual.net

Frankly, if this new provider thinks RSS feeds are a viable alternative,
I wouldn't use them!

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 20th 08, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Bruce Hagen

"johngood_____" wrote in message
In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I
might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to
Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the
inconvenience
of accessing Newsgroups through Google; is there a reasonably priced and
easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using this new provider please. I
phoned up the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds, I did a
search
on this but it doesn't seem to me to connect in any way with Newsgroups as
far as I can see. Thanks for any advice.

Free and Public Usenet News Servers:
http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

Find a news server at:
http://www.newzbot.com/
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP

Old April 20th 08, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
George

johngood_____ wrote:
In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Newsgroups is not a profitable business for ISP's. It's better to
access NG directly using a good NG reader like Thunderbird or whatever
or even browsing Google Groups.
Old April 20th 08, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Graham.

"johngood_____" wrote in message
In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I
might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to
Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the
inconvenience
of accessing Newsgroups through Google; is there a reasonably priced and
easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using this new provider please. I
phoned up the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds, I did a
search
on this but it doesn't seem to me to connect in any way with Newsgroups as
far as I can see. Thanks for any advice.

I have been very satisfied with the free one I am using.
http://news.motzarella.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php

hint
They do however impose a limit on the number of groups
a you can x-post to, so it might not be ideal for you .
\hint
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old April 20th 08, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
John

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
[...]

Hey, Welcome - can you please explain your sig in a bit more detail? I live
in Preston and I'm on BT Internet (or whatever they're calling themselves
this week) but a neighbour four doors down is on Virgin cable, so I'm
curious now.

John

Old April 20th 08, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Barb

For text only:

Free:

news.motzarella.org

news.albasani.net

Are two and have been reliable all the time I've used them.

Then there's news.individual.net for 10 (Ten Euro) per year. When I used
them in the past, they were reliable.

For binaries, afraid someone else will have to answer there.

I concur - I'm on Sky, which doesn't have any usenet access, and I'm now
using motzarella with OE, which works fine for text. I subscribe to
EasyNews for binaries - been with them for years, cheap and reliable.

Barb UK

Old April 20th 08, 04:05 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:58:21 UTC, George wrote:

johngood_____ wrote:
In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Newsgroups is not a profitable business for ISP's. It's better to
access NG directly using a good NG reader like Thunderbird or whatever
or even browsing Google Groups.

What do you mean 'directly'? You still need to find a server...
euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 20th 08, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
johannes

johngood_____ wrote:

In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Although there are loads of different e-mail clients, many of them free and
Outlook Express is not everybody's cuppa, OE is fairly standard and commonly
used. Sounds to me like some misunderstanding of what the ISP has told you.
I can't see why they should object to Outlook Express in particular. Here,
I'm using Netscape Messenger.