Linksys WAG325N Painfully Slow

Old April 20th 08, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default Linksys WAG325N Painfully Slow

I recently had a replacement device under warranty, appeared to be a
brand new WAG325N.

Only had it 3 months and now my download speeds have dropped to around
12KB per second. A different router gives 120/130KB per second on the
same line, the latter is about the best I can expect (allowing for a
multiplication of about 8/10 for kbps) due to my distance from exchange.

The Linksys status page doesn't appear to show an SNR level but my Vigor
unit showed an SNR margin of 12.5.

I have tried a factory reset, latest firmware and all three available
firmwares, still get around 12KB per second.

Is this replacement unit appearing faulty or are there any other checks
I can make.

Geoff Lane
Old April 20th 08, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasper

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:35:44 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

I recently had a replacement device under warranty, appeared to be a
brand new WAG325N.

Only had it 3 months and now my download speeds have dropped to around
12KB per second. A different router gives 120/130KB per second on the
same line, the latter is about the best I can expect (allowing for a
multiplication of about 8/10 for kbps) due to my distance from exchange.

The Linksys status page doesn't appear to show an SNR level but my Vigor
unit showed an SNR margin of 12.5.

I have tried a factory reset, latest firmware and all three available
firmwares, still get around 12KB per second.

Is this replacement unit appearing faulty or are there any other checks
I can make.

Geoff Lane

Keep the different router that gives 130Kb / s

Old April 21st 08, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Is this replacement unit appearing faulty or are there any other checks
I can make.

Have you established that the wireless path isn't part of the
problem?
Old April 21st 08, 12:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Geoff Lane wrote:
I recently had a replacement device under warranty, appeared to be a
brand new WAG325N.

Only had it 3 months and now my download speeds have dropped to around
12KB per second. A different router gives 120/130KB per second on the
same line, the latter is about the best I can expect (allowing for a
multiplication of about 8/10 for kbps) due to my distance from
exchange.
The Linksys status page doesn't appear to show an SNR level but my
Vigor unit showed an SNR margin of 12.5.

I have tried a factory reset, latest firmware and all three available
firmwares, still get around 12KB per second.

Is this replacement unit appearing faulty or are there any other
checks I can make.

Geoff Lane

Different routers perform differently on different lines. There are some
routers that are better than others for long lines and I don't know if the
WAG325N is one of them or not - all I can say is that my WAG325N is
brilliant, giving a rock-steady connection both externally to the internet
(synch at 8128/448 and actual throughput around the 6.5 to 6.9Mbps mark) and
internally within my own network.

I have three (yes, 3) BT HomeHubs here that they've sent me at various times
and none of them synch at anything above about 5000/385 (or whatever - it's
a long time since I had them hooked up) and actual throughput was never more
than about 3.0 to 3.5.

Maybe the WAG325N just isn't suited to your line.

John

Old April 21st 08, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Jasper wrote:

I have tried a factory reset, latest firmware and all three available
firmwares, still get around 12KB per second.

Is this replacement unit appearing faulty or are there any other checks
I can make.

Keep the different router that gives 130Kb / s

The Linksys is my daughter's device, the other router is mine so not an
option at the moment.

Geoff Lane

Old April 21st 08, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

John wrote:

I recently had a replacement device under warranty, appeared to be a
brand new WAG325N.

Different routers perform differently on different lines. There are some
routers that are better than others for long lines and I don't know if the
WAG325N is one of them or not - all I can say is that my WAG325N is
brilliant,

Yes, I appreciate that Linksys have a decent reputation and if the
difference between the two routers was minor would put it down to
manufacturer variations but my old Vigor 2600 was getting about 10 times
what the Linksys was getting.

Also, the performance drop has been sudden, a couple of weeks back Skype
video using WiFi was fine, now it is struggling with mere web surfing.

Geoff Lane
Old April 21st 08, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

but my old Vigor 2600 was getting about 10 times
what the Linksys was getting.

Of many modem/routers I've tried on my line
(i don't use wireless, only CAT5) the Vigor2600
performs best against other ADSL and ADSL2
modems, a BT Voyager 240 gives the worst
sync rate.
Attn and S/N and sync rate are useful can't
understand why Linksys would leave the out.
Without such figures it is hard to determine
if it is line or router that is the problem.
Have found with some modem/routers that
putting the PSU at the length of its
12V power lead away from the router and
phone connections
gives a little better S/N, some report
that PSU's can produce HF noise, I
assume these are SMode PSU's.
ADSL filters have little toroidal filter chokes
so it may be that moving the wallwart
PSU away from them reduces pickup, I
suspect that the PSU's in cases with IEC
lead are switch modes.
..